GreaseSpot Cafe

Ronald MacDonald is a counterfeit

GrouchoMarxJr

I recall when I was a kid that McDonalds had hired Bozo the clown to help them promote their products...Bozo was everywhere pushing those assembly line, greasy burgers down everybodies throats...but then suddenly McDonalds decided they didn't want to pay Bozo the large amount of money he was getting...so they fired him!...and they invented Ronald McDonald (who works for free).

Ever notice the similarities between the two? Both got red hair...etc., etc., etc. Think about it. Bozo got screwed!

I don't know about you, but I grew up with Bozo the clown...and there's no getting around it, they did Bozo dirty! From now on, it's Burger King for me.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Wow, I didn't know this. You learn something new every day.

Actually, I did see the great clown deity in a parade this past summer. I took a break from work to watch a bit of the "old home" parade on main street, and lo and behold, a float passed by upon which was seated side-side-side Ronald and the Hamburgler; as the float went toward the direction of the franchise, Ronald uttered through his megaphone the powerful words: "Are those french fries I smell?"

It's a peculiar sensation to cringe and laugh at the same time.

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

I don't remember Bozo either (in relation to McDonald's), but I did find THIS

Ronald McDonald was the brain-clown of two people: Washington advertising executive Barry Klein and renowned Ringling Bros. clown Michael "Coco" Polakovs. At the time, Mr. Klein's clients included a McDonald's franchisee and a local "Bozo the Clown" television show. Mr. Klein persuaded the franchisee to run commercials on the Bozo show to reach out to children. After the kiddie show was canceled in 1963, Mr. Klein regrouped with Bozo, then played by Willard Scott, who gave the McDonald's clown his name: Ronald McDonald.

Mr. Scott, the longtime weatherman for NBC's "Today" show, donned the first Ronald get-up that year, using a paper cup as a nose and a cardboard tray as a hat. When McDonald's executives wanted to launch Ronald nationally in commercials, they hired Mr. Polakovs to give Ronald a makeover. He designed the white-face clown features and, to represent the Golden Arches, chose a canary-yellow jumpsuit. The red shoes and striped socks reflected the colors of the restaurant. And that fire-engine-red hair? "It was a ladies wig, actually," recalls the 80-year-old Mr. Polakovs, who pulled it off a mannequin in a women's clothing store.

When McDonald's decided to make Ronald a national figure in 1966, the company dumped Mr. Scott, fearing it would be hard to find people in each market with Mr. Scott's big build, recalls Mr. Klein. "That was a heartbreaker," says NBC's Mr. Scott. "I was too fat."

(Too many *happy meals* for that guy even back then, eh?)

Edited by dmiller

In our neck of the woods that place gives ya gas Mark. :blink:

chick-fil-a-big.gif

My favorite fast food joint and one I passed up yesterday in route from KY to home thinking I'd find anohter but never did. (sigh)

I don't know much about Ronald though Groucho. :mellow:

And like Ron I'll take a Popeye's over any other option, if no Chick-fil-A.

Oh man now I want some fried chicken, is it too early for that? :)

What's a SONIC???

:huh:

Poor David :( I'm sorry that you haven't had the correct fast-food education that every boy and girl should have in this great country of ours. Sonic is where you can actually get a mini banana split for .99!! Not only that, the carhops still use skates.

Edited by moony3424

Ronald Mcdonald!!! Yep--- I would LOVE that job!!

A few weeks ago I was at 'clown camp'.... and ONE of the official Ronalds was main speaker/trainer. He was not in his Ronald idenity though...

He is one of 28 Ronalds---- its a coveted, big bucks gig.

He travels all over the world.........follows more rules/guidelines than one can imagine! ie...if he is at a McDonalds in full makeup---- and even if the next appearence is only 15 min away he still has to take off all make-up/costume ,,travel .. and dress again! THAT make-up takes alot of time!!

This guy has been doing this for 20years (??!!) and before that was a Ringling Brothers Clown. Incredibley funny , imaginitve speaker!! His presentation was done with his entire body---- with tales to tell!! What a neat guy!!

so anyway---------this may be more info than ya wanted to know! :lol: :lol: