GreaseSpot Cafe

Horsin' Around in the Kitchen

Ron G.

Just curious if anybody has ever eaten horsemeat.

NPR was talking about the fact that there are three horse slaughterhouses in America, in Texas and another state I can't remember.

65,000 horses per year slaughtered, all for overseas use. Slaughterhouses also owned by foreign sources as well.

Guy's NPR commentary kinda centered around 'poor little boo-boo horses being tortured (captive bolt guns) and murdered (captive bolt guns after several misses and finally an effective hit) only to be sent overseas. He was kinda advocating simply letting the horses spend their last days in a pasture until they died.

Although horsemeat isn't commonly consumed in this country, I really don't see a reason to get upset about it. Hell, how many meats have you guys here eaten? I've eaten everything from turtle to buffalo to gator to shark to pretty much everything worth eating that's gone down to a bullet.

So, my question is, is horsemeat any good, or is it gamey? Any why would there be any weirdness associated with it other than the fact that we don't normally eat it?

back in the early 70's there was a beef shortage and horse meat was very popular here.

it was good.

if i could buy it again i would.

of all my favorite , is ostrich, it's excelent.

bulls balls are great {really}

elk chops are great too

i have never had the oppertunity to try gater but would love too.

oh rattlesnake is good too :beer:

I ate horse meat once but they didn't tell me what it was until after I ate it. It didn't really suck.

Have also eaten bear, squid, ox, ostrich, alligator, turtle (yummy soup), rattlesnake, and can't say what it was at toxic bell but the lawsuit was dropped mysteriously. True story. But too close to ya'll's supper hour.

I'll try anything once, except veal.

Favorites are bambi's mama, thumper and donald duck. Grasshopper wasn't very good, neither was ants.

Oddly enough, city girl that I am, I have eaten horsemeat. Just once.

It's a long story but I'll try to condense it.

In 1968 or 69 I was visiting a commune in N. Mexico where my friends lived. Some of the guys gathering wood for winter, up in the mountains, hit someone's prize horsey with their truck. :o They had to pay for the owner's loss of the horse anyway, so they said, "Then give it to us and we'll use it for meat." They did. I had a little bit, and it wasn't bad. Not gamey at all.

Oh, and the occasion was a Native American ceremony held in a teepee just before dawn. An elderly medicine man "blessed" the children with cedar smoke, fanning it toward them with eagle feathers, and then gave each of them a box of Cracker Jacks (that still makes me chuckle all these years later). Meanwhile, the grownups sat around the inside perimeter of the teepee munching on cold (but cooked!) horsemeat and fruit.

That was only one of several surreal events I experienced at New Buffalo Commune (outside Taos).

:offtopic: The hot spinrgs where the skinny dippin' scene in Easy Rider was filmed was on New Buffalo's land. That's where we took our baths. :D

I don`t know about the taste....but there is sure a difference in the critters.

The cows that we have raised and slaughtered have truly been mindless stupid eating machines....you can`t teach em any respect or manners....if you have food ...you had just better drop it and run....otherwise you get trampled.

Horses on the other hand can be quite the companion....from birth, I have found them to be extremely sensitive and intellegent.....

The things that my horses will do to suit their silly owners...is simply unbelievable. There is a spark of intellegence there that is simply lacking in cows.....

It would be like eating a puppy .... sure we CAN....both are acceptible in other parts of the world....but there are much better uses for creatures that adore us and do everything within their power to assist us.

I say .... lets eat the STUPID animals....lol

Chickens, cows, turkeys...all seem tailor made for consumption....imo

Rascal, I agree with you 100 percent. Horses are beautiful intelligent animals and the thought of killing them for food is totally repulsive to me.

Cows, on the other hand...well, you can jump on the back of a cow and it will just stand there swinging it's head from side to side going "mooo...moooo"...to stupid to even try to throw you off. :)

Rick

I dunno, I can't get much worked up over it. Dispatch the critter quickly and cleanly and

don't let them suffer. After that, I dunno, Bon appetit?

I've eaten just about everything mentioned here except the rattlesnake. It was all good. Alligator po' boys were particularly tastey. I even had whale in Japan once (uh, is that politically correct?).

Meat's meat, long as it isn't anybody I know, soups on!

Gosh, I've never eaten horsemeat, I can't imagine that. I look at the Glue bottles, however and have wondered if Horses are used for anything else. Didn't know they could or would be eaten.

I have had rattlesnake, yumm (the FFA boys in my Texas HS killed one and us FHA girls cooked it) We all enjoyed it. It was like Chicken.

I've had gator, Yum

Dove, Yum

Deer, Yum

Quail, Yum

Elk, Yum

Ostrich, Yum

Buffalo, Yum

Rabbit, Yum (the wild rabbit kind)

Frog Legs, Yum

Growing up in Texas I've often heard of people using 'cat meat' in tamales some parts of Mexico.

That one makes me cry to think of the little felines -- I've never EATEN a tamale for that reason!

Ron G -- YOU ARE SO FUNNY! You would be great in the Advertising business.

Jet, as far as what ELSE horses are used for.......my vet told me once that the stinking corpses of the all of the horses, goats, cows, dogs etc that have died due to a variety of reasons....disease trauma...etc .....that the rendering plants pick up weekly from his office and the others in town.... plus all of the road kill...and all l of the dead cattle from farms......are processed together at the plant....with no consideration given to cause of death or advanced decay....

Ya wanna know who are the BIGGEST customers of the products produced by our rendering plant???

Seriously it is the cosmetic companies! :o

In addition to the diseased bloated maggot infested stinking carcasses, you have to consider that if they came from the vets office, they are filled with medicines administered to try to help them before they died.

Funny....but I haven`t been able to use lip gloss or make up since :(

Edited by rascal

Horse meat is delicious. It is a very common ingredient in Italian cooking, particularly around the Veneto region (Venice, Verona, Treviso, Padua area up north). One dish that is very tasty is Pastissada de Caval, a good stew made with horse...cooked up with onions, red wine, and paprika. It goes particularly good with sauted radicchio and polenta.

There are farmers who raise horses just like cattle -- destined from birth for the slaughterhouse. Horse is particularly known for being high in iron content, by the way. Italian doctors often prescribe women to eat horse, for that reason. In fact, when my wife was in the hospital in Italy for a surgery, she was fed horse almost every day for just that reason (of course, she had red wine with the horse, as well...) (and, no, they didn't didn't tell her she was eating Cavallo)

Oh, and by the way, yes our experience in Northern Italy was completely different than Galen's experience in Naples...

During the Ice Age Horses and Onagers were eaten regularly. Thus the reason North America had no horses. They were said to have been in North America, but them being docile animals and herdable to run off a cliff, they were eaten to extinction in North America.

The Europeans/Asians/Africans also ate horse until someone figured out that they had a much grander use for transportation and hunting other animals. Thousands of years ago horses were kept and trained for these purposes instead of used as food. Auroch (cattle) were much tastier and fatter, they used horses to hunt these and other animals instead.

I am a owner/rider and believe horses are like dogs. They are pets and family animals, not to be eaten. There value in hunting is amazing.

I have eaten moose, caribou, oyster, squid, octopus, shark, rattle snake but never horse

Digi