GreaseSpot Cafe

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Raf

... the turkey's gonna be a sopping wet, and stuffing should be everywhere, ...

... but Thanksgiving should be fine.

:biglaugh:

I wouldn't worry about it Raf. What are the odds that a storm would form in the Caribbean, hang around the Yucatan, and turn northeast to devastate Florida?

Oh, it happened a month ago?

Never mind...

Hhmmmmmm, .... Was it GeorgeStGeorge's .... believing??

((ducking))

Edited by GarthP2000

Gamma is forecast to remain well below hurricane strength because of significant wind shear...that is, fairly strong upper level winds, not an unusual happening down there this late in the fall. Those winds typically prevent the storm from developing its own deep circulation to a great extent, and prevent the individual storms from merging around the center. Also, neither the sea water nor the air will be as warm as they were a month or two ago.

Sometimes such a storm can strengthen significantly if it merges with a strong non tropical storm, or with a cold front, such as may be approaching Florida in a few days. However, it is extremely unlikely that Gamma would strengthen into a major hurricane, or the non trpoical equivalent thereof.

Such a merger of a tropical storm and a non tropical system produced the storm years ago that was the basis for The Perfect Storm. This of course occured well out over the ocean.

Ah, the no-name storm - wasn't that in 2000 or 2001? Whenever it was, I believe I remember it well. It was my first time driving over the Howard Frankland Bridge in those driving conditions - I remember that when I hit the Tampa side of the bridge I could no longer see anything at all (not even enough to pull over!) and I swear the hand of God cupped the car and gently carried it over that bridge! It was a most

unforgettable experience. I had come from Leesburg to St. Pete and the weather wasn't great when I started out, but just as I reached that bridge all hell broke loose.

I've never driven in those rains since. That was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I lived in FL for 10 years and had never seen it like that! We moved during evacuation for both Bonnie and Charlie last year. We're coming to St. Pete for Thanksgiving next week. We were there in June for Dennis.

Love and prayers to all you Floridians.

Edited by bowtwi

It probably will be. Another cold front may be approaching by then...but it doesnt look too strng right now as far as being a rain producer. It may however bring the coldest air of the young winter season so far to climes further north...probably not a lot of snow except maybe a ton in some of the lake effect areas. Most of Floriday should be pretty nice though.

Swell! We've moved up our departure several hours and will leave Sunday early so we can expect to accomplish all 18 hours of road time in clear dry weather. Whew! We do stop over night now that we're older - but we used to drive straight through!

Interestingly enough, it looks like some light snow and rain will ring in Thanksgiving here. It looks like this is going to be an interesting winter.

Farmer's almanac suggests heavy snow and some really cold snaps between mid December through mid Feb.....and maybe a tad more in March and April. Yeeee Haaaa! I love sledding, but not in the car!