GreaseSpot Cafe

Antique Books

Belle

Hey y'all, I recently came into a ton of antique books - some fiction, some non fiction, some are collections like the "Foreign Romance Collection" (about 20 books, I think). They're really cool! I was told that some of them are worth thousands of dollars, but I haven't a clue as to how to find out how much any of them are really worth. I also acquired a buch of magazines, Reader's Digest, National Geographic, Interior Design, art & museum magazines....

Anyone knowledgeable in this area or know where to point me to begin my research?

Thanks!!

Belle-

The value of old books, like most anything else collectible is only as much as you can find a buyer willing to pay. That means you need books by collectible authors, or themes (such as childrens books). I will see if I can find the websites I used when pricing books in my parents estate, they had "the library", a converted former large masterbedroom, floor to ceiling with books. but for now....

1- I am not sure what you mean by the term "antique" how old are they primarily?

2- With a few exceptions, their condition will be a HUGE determining factor.

3- watch for autographs in them, could be in the front pages or in the back. (Be sure it is a real autograph, and not a printed rendition.) Autographs and first editions are without a doubt where the real money is in old (or even new) books.

4- watch for the term "First Edition" on the copyright page, especially if it is not followed by 2nd, third, ....42nd printing.

5. Books with illustrations are generally more desirable. A few pages of pictures, often in the middle.

6. Protect any that still have a cover

7. Are the "sets" complete? (Do you have all the published volumes of the set) If not, there may be of value still, if you can find someone who is missing one you have, they may pay as much for that one volume as for a partial set.

8. enter the name of the book, (or set) in google. Put the title in quotes, also put the author's name in the search. Also check on ebay.

I do not want to dampen your hopes, but it is a rare book indeed that is worth what you describe as "thousands of dollars". Most are worth a few dollars, some 30-50. I have a complete set of the "Harvard Classics, in excellent condition, from the first year they were offered, (1910?) I can only get 200 for the set, (not that I would sell them). I am impressed with the joy and ferver with which our grandparents held reading fine literature. I have several sets of leatherbound shakespeare over 100 years old.

Good luck,

~HAP

Hap's right about the *first edition* books.

Those are the one's that have real value. I used to have several 1st editions of fiction (published by Hartcourt, Brace, Javonovich --NY) and each one of them had a double paper cover protecting the book itself. The paper covers were duplicates of what the actual book cover looked like.

And like Hap said, their condition must be pristine (looks like it's never been read) for it to be worth mega bucks.

But perhaps you have some *good stuff* there. Hope so!!

For a quick check just plug the title into a search at bookfinder.com and see what comes up.

Lots of the prices there are inflated beyond reality, but if there are enough different dealers with a copy, you can get a good feel for the overall rarity and worth of a particlar title.

Binding is a big deal too. Leather and half-leather editions often being sought after for their bindings alone.

I have to differ a bit from Dave and Hap though. I think there are quite a few books out there that are worth quite a bit of dough. I've got several volumes (mostly about Japanese prints and the like) that are worth several hundred dollars and one work in particular that goes for upwards of $1000.

That being said, there's also LOTS of books that just ain't worth squat.

Here's hoping for that rare first-edition bound in calfskin and gilt...

Oh, and the magazines.

The "Reader's Digest"s and "National Geographic" probably aren't going to make you wealthy, but the more specialized niche type of periodicals can command pretty good prices.

I'd take a look at eBay to see what similar periodicals are doing (yeah, there WILL be some posted, you can almost bet on it). I know in my area of interest magazines like "Arts of Asia" and "Daruma" routinely sell for several times their newstand price and they're only a few years old. I also got rid of a box of old "Fine Homebuilding" magazines (duplicates of what I already had) and had a virtual bidding war going on before they finally sold for around $150. for a couple of dozen dog-eared copies. I was stunned!

I've had books from the 18th century (yes, the 1700s) that were worth next to nothing and books from the early 20th century that sold for a fair amount. My point? Age alone doesn't mean value when it comes to books.

Demand is another big factor. I've got some decent first editions that I was thinking of selling and they're valued pretty high in book value guides, but they're not going on ebay for even a small fraction of what booksellers on bookfinder.com are asking, so I'm hanging on to them. Ebay has made it a buyer's market unless you have a real rarity.

I'm not trying to discourage you, Belle. Perhaps you have some real treasures there. But I also don't want you to be disappointed.

Edited by Linda Z

Thanks so much, y'all!

I love, Love, LOVE books! I got all these for free from a generous lady on the Yahoo! Freecycle group in my area. They totally filled my car - literally from the floorboards to the top of the car and the trunk, too. My car now smells like an old library and I enjoyed every deep breath till I got home and unloaded the car. (Great exercise, btw)

I worked in the library in college and used to love shelving the returned books because I would have an excuse to flip through them. I was the slowest employee at shelving books, but also the greatest resource for the students because of it, so it was tolerated. I loved going to work every day!

I couldn't care less if they are worthless, really, but I could use some extra $$ and thought if I did happen to have a few worth a couple hundred bucks it would be nice. Knowing my luck, it would be the books I get most attached to and not want to part with. :P

My whole library the past ten years has consisted of TWI publications and TWI-endorsed books, so when my ex moved out all the shelves in the office were bare. I'm looking forward to flipping through these books and re-stocking my library, but wanted to check out the prices on some of the more unusual books.

George, there are some foreign books and art magazines that I saw but haven't gotten to that box yet. If I find something that looks like something you might be interested in, I'll let you know.

I just knew there would be a wealth of information on here! Y'all truly are wonderful folks! Thank you soooo much!!!

Also,

please note that the ASKING price for books is not necessarily

a price that people will EVER pay.

Adam Smith's "invisible hand" dictates that supply and price

determine DEMAND,

which means that lower supplies will raise demand,

if more people want copies than there are copies to be had.

It also means that, if nobody wants to pay the price,

the price should drop until a price is found that someone

is willing to pay.

(If I want to sell a copy of Harry Potter Book 6 for $1000,

no one will buy it. So I drop the price to what they'll pay,

which is something reasonable.)

However,

for some reason,

rare books seem to be UNAFFECTED by Adam Smith's

invisible hand.

I was looking for a set of books.

Books 1-20 were released in the US, and I have them.

21-28 had all been released in the UK, and were NEVER

released in the US,

AND are out-of-print.

These are all PAPERBACKS released in the 90s.

I put in an inquiry with a bookseller site.

I figured they might ask something like 20 bucks or

something for a paperback, maybe a little more.

They wanted prices ranging between 120 and 200.

POUNDS STERLING.

That would translate to over $200 for the CHEAP one.

And they were not "mint", "fresh-from-the-printers"

copies.

I laughed and deleted the e-mails.

I figure if I ever need the cash, I can offer my set,

if THAT's the kinds of offers floating around....

I think the name of the site was "Bartleby's".

I have around 1000 books dating back 200 years as all my forebears were avid readers, collectors and packrats. I have all of my mothers (she's 84) textbooks through school including McGuffy readers, primers etc. (ca. 1920's) and all sorts of misc stuff. I had 3 copies of the very first original Boy Scout Leaders Handbook published in 1911. I gave one to an elderly gentleman for Christmas last year who was a life time Scouter. Those books would only fetch maybe $30 to $50 on the open market, but it was priceless to him.

I also have the "Harvard Classics 5 foot shelf of books" set. It's priceless to me, but as was mentioned earlier, only worth maybe $200 cash...although I'm skeptical it would be worth that much.

I do have some first editions of H.G. Wells and a set of the complete works of Jules Verne, but they're worth much more to me than just cash value, so I've never bothered to look into their value. These books are all wonderful resources for Andrew's homeschooling and besides, if I were to peddle any of those volumes, the ghost of great grampaw G. would no doubt come and backhand me.

Magazines and newspapers seem be more valuable than books, especially if they have something of wide interest such as the original issue of Life with the photo of the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima.

I used to have an old plastic pillowcase full of old newspapers with headlines beginning the sinking of the Maine and the subsequent Spanish American War to the JFK election....and everything of note in between. It weighed about 75 lbs and was lost in my TWI shuffles. I still have a second bag with more recent events beginning with the Dallas Morning News Kennedy assassination, the Moon trip in 1969 and about 35 others until Sept 11, 2001. Again, I'm not interested in cash value, but I enjoy having the historical record, and Andrew can read it like todays news.

What Andrew does with all this stuff after I'm gone is his business, but I'm teaching him to revere the printed word and hope he'll carry on with it and pass it all down with his lifetime of additions and keep it going.