GreaseSpot Cafe

The Word of God is the Will of God

Belle

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that the will of God is the will of God...

Is it contained in the bible? I think that fragments of God's will can be found there...but it's not this "fits with a mathematic exactness and scientific precision" idea that wierwille promulgated...

Funny thing...wierwille was always emphasizing that the written word should be our standard for truth and that experiences were not to be trusted...but wasn't the bible written by men who had experiences? Had Paul followed wierwille's advice, would he have trusted his own experiences to write the church epistles? How about Moses?...or Peter...or even Jesus?...Did Jesus trust his own experiences?

If a person never trusts his/her own experiences to understand God's will, they are living vicariously through the experiences of others. The bible is chock full of exortations to have fellowship with God, to try the spirits, to enter the thone of God with boldness, to pray, to listen for God's voice, to follow the Lord, to discern the spirits, to receive the things of God...that our understanding might be enlightened...

The bible is an OWNERS MANUEL! Twi turned "God's will" into an academic excercize...to study OTHER people's EXPERIENCES!...but not to trust their own? Turning the bible into an idol?

Twi taught that the middle wall of partion was broken down and that we had our own access to God...but they never believed it...why else did twi followers have to have everything "cleared" through a hierarchy?

As long as wierwiile could get people to question their own experiences, and turn solely to the bible for truth (which HE interpreted for us)...he had CONTROL over people. How can you tell people (out of one side of your mouth), to have your own relationship with God, and then proceed to micromanage their lives for them (because their own experiences are not to be trusted)...out of the other side of their mouths?

If you cannot know God's will though your own experiences, what good is the bible anyway???

very good Groucho

kind of turns things a bit

scriptures record experiences

trying to reproduce them is what VP was after

but that was then and this is now

where do we begin?

or has it already begun

it's an individual experience that is to be

for me, i stuck with the simole things

some proverbs, what Jesus said, common sense

can't say i've experienced enough though

i got time, but sometimes lack patience

Sometimes people use their experiences to justify not believing what the word says. Like the person who's "sure" the dead are alive because he went to a seance or heard an audible voice. How to know the difference between a godly experience and a counterfeit one is to "compare spiritual with spiritual". That is, to compare the spiritual which is the same yesterday, today, and forever in the bible with the spiritual you experience.

Sometimes people use their experiences to justify not believing what the word says. Like the person who's "sure" the dead are alive because he went to a seance or heard an audible voice. How to know the difference between a godly experience and a counterfeit one is to "compare spiritual with spiritual". That is, to compare the spiritual which is the same yesterday, today, and forever in the bible with the spiritual you experience.

Who's interpretation of what the word says? Yours? the Viksters? Jerry Falwell's? Benny Hinn's?

And don't EVEN try saying "no private interpretation!" There are more than 8,000 sects who all say they believe in "no private interpretation" and all say they subscribe to "sola scriptura, sola fide, sola gratia" -- that's pretty far away from "one body..."

7Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation. 8Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

The King James Version, (Cambridge: Cambridge) 1769.

yep, very true....

There are accounts all throughout the Bible of people seeing dead people, talking to spirits, etc. How did we go from that to "the dead are dead" and if you see dead people you're possessed? That seems to be private interpretation of the Bible and either camp could claim that THEIR interpretation is correct. I think the camp where you pitch your tent is going to be somewhat influenced by your personal experiences.

I don't mention this to discuss the dead, but to show how easy it is to say that YOU are living God's will according to the Bible with as much conviction as someone who also believes that HE/SHE is living God's will according to the Bible.

If someone has visions or talks to dead people or relies on something more than just the Bible in their personal walk with God, how can someone say that they are wrong? I suppose if a person is jealous, holier than thou or just plain ignorant, they would throw irrelevant scriptures at that person sayiing that it is a counterfiet experience. But that same ignorant soul would defend a person they liked, admired, worshipped or followed if that person were to have the same experience.

You can't use the Bible for that! That's personal feelings, emotions and reaction which we are all subject to. We are especially subject to stronger feelings in certain areas where we are open to recieving information from God. (Not subject to the exclusion of the God taught in the Bible)

IMO, to limit oneself to scriptures that we don't even know for sure who wrote them, why they wrote them, how accurate they are and so many other unknowns is seriously limiting the ability of God and the vibrancy of your own personal life.

dead ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dd)

adj. dead·er, dead·est

Having lost life; no longer alive.

Marked for certain death; doomed: was marked as a dead man by the assassin.

Having the physical appearance of death: a dead pallor.

Lacking feeling or sensitivity; numb or unresponsive: Passersby were dead to our pleas for help.

Weary and worn-out; exhausted.

Not having the capacity to live; inanimate or inert.

Not having the capacity to produce or sustain life; barren: dead soil.

No longer in existence, use, or operation.

No longer having significance or relevance.

Physically inactive; dormant: a dead volcano.

Not commercially productive; idle: dead capital.

Not circulating or running; stagnant: dead water; dead air.

Devoid of human or vehicular activity; quiet: a dead town.

Lacking all animation, excitement, or activity; dull: The party being dead, we left early.

Having no resonance. Used of sounds: “One characteristic of compact discs we all can hear is dead sound. It may be pure but it has no life” (Musical Heritage Review).

Having grown cold; having been extinguished: dead coals; a dead flame.

Lacking elasticity or bounce: That tennis ball is dead.

Out of operation because of a fault or breakdown: The motor is dead.

Sudden; abrupt: a dead stop.

Complete; utter: dead silence.

Exact; unerring. the dead center of a target.

Sports. Out of play. Used of a ball.

Lacking connection to a source of electric current.

Drained of electric charge; discharged: a dead battery.

n.

One who has died: respect for the dead.

The period exhibiting the greatest degree of intensity: the dead of winter; the dead of night.

adv.

Absolutely; altogether: You can be dead sure of my innocence.

Directly; exactly: There's a gas station dead ahead.

Suddenly: She stopped dead on the stairway.

Idioms:

dead and buried

No longer in use or under consideration: All past animosities are dead and buried now.

dead in the water

Unable to function or move: The crippled ship was dead in the water. With no leadership, the project was dead in the water.

dead to rights

In the very act of making an error or committing a crime: The police caught the thief dead to rights with my silverware.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English ded, from Old English dad. See dheu-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

deadness n.

Synonyms: dead, deceased, departed, extinct, lifeless, inanimate

These adjectives all mean without life. Dead applies in general to whatever once hadbut no longer hasphysical life (a dead man; a dead leaf), function (a dead battery), or force or currency (a dead issue; a dead language). Deceased and departed refer only to nonliving humans: attended a memorial service for a recently deceased friend; looking at pictures of departed relatives. Extinct can refer to what has no living successors (extinct species such as the dodo) or to what is extinguished or inactive (an extinct volcano). Lifeless applies to what no longer has physical life (a lifeless body), to what does not support life (a lifeless planet), or to what lacks animation, spirit, or brightness (a lifeless performance; lifeless colors). Inanimate is most often limited to what has never had physical life: “The anchored gunboat simply would not sink. It evinced that unnatural stubbornness which is sometimes displayed by inanimate objects” (Stephen Crane).

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

a·live ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-lv)

adj.

Having life; living. See Synonyms at living.

In existence or operation; active: keep your hopes alive.

Full of living or moving things; abounding: a pool alive with trout.

Full of activity or animation; lively: a face alive with mischief.

Idiom:

alive to

Aware of; sensitive to: alive to the moods of others.

a·liveness n.

alive

In addition to the idioms beginning with alive, also see come alive; eat someone alive; look alive; more dead than alive; skin alive.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.

Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Main Entry: alive

Pronunciation: &-'lIv

Function: adjective

: having life : not dead or inanimate

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

alive

adj 1: possessing life; "the happiest person alive"; "the nerve is alive"; "doctors are working hard to keep him alive"; "burned alive" [syn: alive(p)] [ant: dead] 2: (often followed by `with') full of life and spirit; "she was wonderfully alive for her age"; "a face alive with mischief" [syn: alive(p)] 3: having life or vigor or spirit; "an animated and expressive face"; "animated conversation"; "became very animated when he heard the good news" [syn: animated] [ant: unanimated] 4: (followed by `to' or `of') aware of; "is alive to the moods of others" [syn: alive(p)] 5: in operation; "keep hope alive"; "the tradition was still alive"; "an active tradition" [syn: active, alive(p)] 6: (usually followed by `to') showing acute awareness; mentally perceptive; "alert to the problems"; "alive to what is going on"; "awake to the dangers of her situation"; "was now awake to the reality of his predicament" [syn: alert, alive(p), awake(p)] 7: capable of erupting; "a live volcano"; "the volcano is very much alive" [syn: alive(p), live(a)]

It would seem that you can't have it both ways, you are one or the other by definition. Now brain dead is a choice in some cases! Well thats another story for another time......

Edited by WhiteDove

I repeat:

I don't mention this to discuss the dead, but to show how easy it is to say that YOU are living God's will according to the Bible with as much conviction as someone who also believes that HE/SHE is living God's will according to the Bible.

PLEASE, do not derail this thread.

Edited by Belle

There are accounts all throughout the Bible of people seeing dead people, talking to spirits, etc. How did we go from that to "the dead are dead" and if you see dead people you're possessed? That seems to be private interpretation of the Bible and either camp could claim that THEIR interpretation is correct. I think the camp where you pitch your tent is going to be somewhat influenced by your personal experiences.

If someone has visions or talks to dead people or relies on something more than just the Bible in their personal walk with God, how can someone say that they are wrong? I suppose if a person is jealous, holier than thou or just plain ignorant, they would throw irrelevant scriptures at that person sayiing that it is a counterfiet experience. But that same ignorant soul would defend a person they liked, admired, worshipped or followed if that person were to have the same experience.

You can't use the Bible for that! That's personal feelings, emotions and reaction which we are all subject to. We are especially subject to stronger feelings in certain areas where we are open to recieving information from God. (Not subject to the exclusion of the God taught in the Bible)

IMO, to limit oneself to scriptures that we don't even know for sure who wrote them, why they wrote them, how accurate they are and so many other unknowns is seriously limiting the ability of God and the vibrancy of your own personal life.

Wierwille taught us that "the word fits with a mathematical exactness and a scientific precision" He said "it's the word, the word and nothing but the word" but he was speaking of the Bible only, as I understood him.

And of course he then interpreted it for us. IMO, as Coolwaters said, the Word of God is Jesus Christ, not the Bible.

The Bible definately contains words from God and truths of God, but imo it doesn't always fit like a hand in a glove or an exact scientific precision etc. it's through the holy spirit that we can gain an understanding of scripture, of God, His will and of His son, the Lord Jesus Christ who always does the fathers will. Check out these scriptures;

John 14:15-17; 26

15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you.

26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:12-15

12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

Ephesians 1:13 -17

13And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

15For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit[f] of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

1 Corinthians 2:9-14

9However, as it is written:

"No eye has seen,

no ear has heard,

no mind has conceived

what God has prepared for those who love him"[a]— 10but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.

The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

12We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.[c] 14The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

quote: the Word of God is Jesus Christ, not the Bible.

I wouldn't know who Jesus is without the bible. Consider that Jesus himself, when the devil had him atop a pinnacle of the temple said "It is written" not "gee this is quite an experience." Consider that Peter called knowing that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation a MORE SURE WORD OF PROPHECY than having been with Jesus at the mount of transfiguration, which really WAS quite an experience.

My liberal as hell mother always was saying that the bible was written by men, meaning that you couldn't trust it as the word of God. Well, my driver's license was also written by men, yet it carries a measure of authority. If I show it to a police officer or to someone requesting ID I fully expect those parties to respect that piece of plastic written by men as PROOF of my identity, and they always do.

The bible is God's "ID" and IMO He fully expects us to respect that! If that makes me jealous, holier than thou, or ignorant, then SO BE IT!

i suppose those in Acts were in big trouble then

they didn't have the "bible"

yet how many believed?

and those in other coutries that never even had one

what about them?

is god so limited that there has to be a book?

for many years not many could even read

what about them?

if you can't read then what?

the more sure word of prophecy is not written on paper

but the heart

Without question the scripture in the bible contains truth, revelation and words of God. But is our modern bible the word of God? in part yes and in part no. what I'm saying Johniam, is that that our modern English translation of the Bible is not the complete word of God, but does contain words of God.

I believe there has been some error that has crept into our modern translation, those who decided what books should be a part of the canon may have left out a book or two, I'm really not sure, but I believe the catholics have a few extra books added to thier bible which are not in the protestant bible translations.

The scripture in the bible does reveals Jesus Christ the living word of God, who gives us holy spirit that will help us have a greater understanding of God's will.

John 14:26

"26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

Without question the scripture in the bible contains truth, revelation and words of God.

Therein lies the problem. Most people are unwilling to question such an assumption, even though there is no evidence to support it. Even though there is ample evidence that points to the contrary.