GreaseSpot Cafe

Small Town Stupid thief

ex70sHouston

I learned about this at my usual saturday morning meeting at the coffee shop.

Seems a young man whom we all know was driving around in the country and eye'd 3 monster truck tires and two axles chained to a tree. He drives into town and goes by the local tire store. Discribes the merchdise and asks how much can he get. The store operator says hold on and let me make a call. He calls home to his dad and says there is a guy here trying to sell me your tires. What do I do? Dad tells his son to give him a price. Mathew then heads home to pick up a gooseneck trailer to carry the goods. In the mean time the sheriff department has set up out in the weeds to watch. Matthew and a friend show up, cut the chain. load the tires and axles and take off. They get one block before they are stopped. They stated they were just halling them for the owner. Sherriff deputy then states it was the owner of the tires he was talking to at the tire store. Busted. Matthew was already on probation and as another friend said it was a slam dunk case.

Its bad to live in a town where you know all the parties and feel sorry for the mom. She is at church three times or more a week. Works with the youth yet all of her five sons has been in trouble with the law. I think it all goes back to the &$*# of a husband she had.

LOL

LOL

LOL

Sometimes we have a very dirty gene-pool, with very stupid folks in it. Unfortunately they often breed.

Crime breed of stupidity happens everywhere. I feel it is worse in the citys.

This incident happened in a 'small town', where folks knew each other and knew where those tires were, and who they belonged to. In big citys, it would still happen, but nobody 'knows' anything, so the crime goes unpunished and the criminals would be un-caught.

You are fortunate to live in a small enough town where when crime does happen society can make an attempt to better itself. [ie, the thief gets caught and faces a judge].

I too would feel bad for the mother.

Here in the small town that we have moved to, the once a week local newspaper's police journal reads like the town gossip column. Everyone knows who you are, and what is going on. But everyone also knows who the thieves are, and who the good folks are.

Bless you.

That's PRECISELY why I want to raise my kids, if I ever get to have some, in a small town! I hated it then, but would want my kids to not be able to get away with anything like I couldn't. :D

Sometimes no matter how good a parent someone is, the kids will be total brats. BUT, sometimes those church-going ladies are the worst mothers. My ex had more trouble with those mothers who are at the church every time the door is open than he did with the drug dealing mothers.

He would get a call about a runaway kid or arrest a kid and try to get in touch with the mother so that the child wouldn't have to go to the juvenile jail. So many times the mother couldn't be bothered because she was in a hurry to "get to church". :unsure: OR the parents were too "soft" and didn't discipline the child because they were overboard on the "love" aspect of their church. Without boundaries kids will get into trouble and there are so many parents who spend more time in church meetings and on church committees than they do with their kids - then they wonder why they have such awful children.

I'm NOT saying that's what this mother is like, but the story reminds me of these parents...

The flip side of living in a small town where everybody knows everybody is that sometimes things like that go unpunished, because the miscreant knows the right people. And forget about it if you're an outsider.

I've lived in both: big, big cities, and small, small towns. Both have their good points and their bad.

I kinda have the best of both worlds here. I live in a town in STL county with a population of 22,000. It has a small town feel to it; lots of regular yearly events that are well attended right in the heart of town, yet I live 12 miles from the arch. There's this huge metropolitan area within easy driving distance.

I wouldn't say that everybody in town knows everybody else, but in the 6 yrs I've lived here I see a lot of the same faces at different locations. As far as kids go I dunno; parents always have the most impact on their kids wherever they live. At least, they have first right of refusal.

It does work both ways in a small town Oak, but I do like it more than in alarger city. When I sorta got ripped in acar deal a few years back--nobody could believe 'Pete" would do such a thing and it was a pain to get any sort of satisfaction through the authorities --I eventually let it drop and learned alesson about 'Pete".

On the flip side I have friend in his 40's, good guy, hard working family man type, good 'townie' whose 12 year old son was killed skateboarding a few years ago. He continues on, he took it but didnt adjust really well. so about once ayear he gets blue, gets drunk and does something really really stupid. If you didnt know him and his story and came upon him youd probably be po'ed but with the back story and knowing who he really is -its not all that bad--and you can usually just talk to him...and he'll cry, apologize, cleanup things and go home, sleep it off and be fine for another year or so.

I'd hate to see him arrested for something idiotic and his family stressed when he has a bad moment when all he needs is someone to walk him home...

That sounds like the town I live in...

This last weekend we had three cars stolen in town - not hot wired - but the theives walked in to the owners home, took the keys off a key rack or table or out of a purse, and just DROVE off - the home and cars were all unlocked!

People still leave their doors unlocked.

(We don't, but if we ever forget I know the intruders will break a hip falling over toys, so I'm not worried!)

One realtor in the area told me that he keeps a spare car at the airport, with keys in it, just in case anyone needs to use it.

His Real Estate office does not get locked either. I asked why, and he said that if anyone wants to come in and use his phone or computer, they are welcome to.