GreaseSpot Cafe

Mexican flag on flagpole in neighborhood

skyrider

About two blocks from my house......there is a mexican flag on a flagpole.

I live in a middle-class neighborhood and one of the better school townships. And, so far......it's the only one I've seen. Maybe it's just me, but it struck me as inappropriate. Now granted, I know that international flags are displayed in public areas, in schools, at airports, etc............but not in a neighborhood.

Have any of you seen this?

Is this a growing trend?

Edited by skyrider

I've often seen Italian flags, Polish flags, and Irish flags on or in front of people's houses. I'm sure I've seen flags from other countries, too, but those are the most common. I figure people are proud of their heritage. I don't see it as weird or as an insult to the USA.

Forbidden flags:

The U.S. has no such prohibitions, but 17 states do have "forbidden flags." Here is a quick summary of those state laws, most of which have certain exceptions (loopholes.) Please note that these are brief summaries of brief summaries!

California

prohibits the display of the "red flag or any other flag in a public place" as a sign of violent opposition to organized government. No state military group may carry other than the U.S. or State flags.

Colorado

prohibits display of any flag other than U.S. or State on public buildings or grounds, or displays such flag in a place knowing it is likely to cause a breach of the peace.

District of Columbia

prohibits, on U.S. Capitol Grounds a flag designed to bring into public notice a party, organization or movement.

Idaho

prohibits the display of the "red flag or any other flag in a public place" as a sign of violent opposition to organized government. No state military group may carry other than the U.S. or State flags.

Louisiana

prohibits, during time of war, the display the flag of a nation or of a state with which the U.S. is at war.

Massachusetts

prohibits the display of the flag of a foreign country outside of a public building or schoolhouse.

Mississippi

prohibits flags designed to bring into public notice an organization not specifically permitted by statute.

New Hampshire

prohibits the display of a foreign flag on a public building, or the UN flag other than subordinate to the U.S. flag on public property.

New Jersey

prohibits the display of a flag of a foreign country unless accompanied by a U.S. flag of at least equal dimensions.

New York

prohibits the UN flag above the U.S. except at UN HQ. Flags which cast contempt on U.S. flag are prohibited. Foreign flags on public property are prohibited.

North Dakota

prohibits public display of other than the U.S. flag, a State flag, or flag of a friendly foreign nation.

Oklahoma

prohibits "red flag," etc, or any flag "over public property, except roads, stadiums or arenas, unless it is the U.S. flag, the flag of a nation once having dominion over the State, the State flag, an official municipal flag, the Boy Scouts flag, the Girl Scouts flag, the American Red Cross flag, or a flag approved by the governing body..."

Pennsylvania

prohibits other than U.S. flags over public buildings.

Rhode Island

prohibits flags in a parade unless accompanied by U.S. flag, prohibits flags with inscriptions opposed to organized government or derogatory to morals, and prohibits foreign flags from public buildings or schools.

Washington

prohibits flags antagonistic to U.S. or State laws or constitution.

West Virginia

prohibits black or red flags or others antagonistic to U.S. or State constitutions, laws, ideals, and institutions.

Wyoming

prohibits state military organizations from carrying other than U.S. flags.

In general, the references to "public property" mean government office buildings, public schools, police stations, etc. The full text of the laws have lots of little details and exceptions.

Ya'll might be shocked if you moved to south Texas.

The number of people of Mexican desent is now the majority in many places in the state. You are as likly to see an American flag as you are to see a Mexican Flag.

Their are more spanish radio stations than english.

Billboards everywhere in spanish.

Went into a convience store a month ago and the register closed sign was in spanish.

I am slowly learning spanish as a nessesity.

It's not uncommon to see Canadian flags around here - no big deal, as long as the person flying it hasn't placed it above an American Flag - otherwise, I'm not offended. As American is a melting pot, I think there's nothing wrong with displaying one's pride in their mother country - my hubby is first generation American, as his parents are from Greece. There's blue and white Greek flags everywhere - but never in disrespect to America.

If that happened in the area where I used to work, it would make me very nervous.

When a person displays a flag on a house, or on one's person, or on a window, it's a statement of pride in one's heritage and that's a good thing. But a flag on a pole connotes Territorial associations. If that house was a Mexican Embassy, I would expect the Mexican flag to be there, otherwise I don't think it belongs.

If it happened near here, I believe it would be a signal of gang territory In this neck of the woods, I would not dismiss that lightly.

Edited by krysilis