GreaseSpot Cafe

Tialani Goes To Sea!

J0nny Ling0

My lovely daughter "Tialani", 21, recently graduated from the Tongue Point School Of Seamanship as an Oiler, AB (Able Bodied Seaman), and Junior Engineer tagged her first job as a United States Merchant Marine. The Company, The Alaska Marine Highway (the same company from whom I retired in 2001), is flying her out of here to meet her first ship, the M/V Taku, which carries cars and passengers up and down the Northwest Coast from Prince Rupert, British Colombia, all the way up to Skagway, Alaska, stopping at all the ports in between. The vessels she will be working on are here:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/services/d...s/vsslinfo.html

If you scroll on down, you can find the Taku, her first dispatch. The Taku is the very first Marine Highway ship I ever rode on. I rode her from Prince Rupert, BC, as a passenger when I graduated from the Way Corps and was sent to Juneau to "start a twig". She's a nice, clean, well run vessel, and a good friend is the Chief Engineer. I worked on her for about three months as a "relief" before I took a permanent job on the Matanuska. Anyhoo, I had to bring it up...

Its obvious you're a proud papa. Now.. where do Greasespotters go to get their discounts on the Taku??

And so, where do you go? Go here!

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

I am not sure if I can give you discounts, but, if you want a world class cruise, you will get one from here without the expense of a big, fancy, white cruise ship like Royal Caribean Cruise Line ships or a Celebrity Cruise Lines ship. The Alaska Marine Highway has ships that are clean, very ammenable, and can carry your car or RV at a cost that is way lower than a cruise ship. This also means that if you have your own driving machine, you can take your car, truck, or RV off at any port and "go cruising" in any Alaskan port until you are ready to come back to another ship and keep cruising northward (or southward), depending

upon what you want to do. It is a really neat gig, and way cheaper than the cruise ship route.

I refer to our ships as "Utilitarian Cruise Ships". Not as fancy as Royal Carribean, but way way nicer than traveling in your basic station wagon or Chevy van. They are very nice...

And, the sights are every bit as wonderful as one might encounter on the "Odyssey Of The Sea" or some other fancy cruie ship...