GreaseSpot Cafe

Guy Flicks

TOMMYZ

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" would be the consumate guy flick, based on how much I like it and my wife hates it. "But they're so *dirty*" she complains...

Any Jimmy Stewart western. His initial indecision coupled with his ultimate resolve and violence is great. "Firecreek" would be a great start.

I'm not much of a John Wayne fan, but the western "The Searchers" would be my favorite. Decent acting, intense storyline and great suspense.

"Shane" is a pretty good western. Here's my favorite line... "Will, let's keep the smell of pigs out from where we're drinkin'." ... when a dirt farmer comes into the bar.

"Cool Hand Luke" excellent man-flick. I love the movie because it's so damned believable. You are totally convinced you're in the middle of a chain-gang. The whole cast did a superb job of acting. My wife also hates it, especially the egg-eating scene.

As far as war movies go, most of the WWII stuff seems staged and somewhat phony. The one exception is "Das Boot" or The Boat" in english. Excellent, excellent movie, but it does run 3+ hours. Watch it with the audio set to German and English subtitles for the full effect. My wife hated it. "why would you want to feel like you're in a submarine?".. Patton was ok, but I've seen it too many times. I've never seen a decent Korean war movie. There's several good Vietnam-era war movies. "We were Soldiers" and "Full Metal Jacket" were my favorites. "Apocalypse Now" has some absolutely stunning scenes, but I think the ending kinda falls flat. "A Bright and Shining Lie" and the book of the same name is not so much a man-flick, but a biting and compelling social and political commentary on the war. I highly recommend it.

As to science fiction man-flicks, the original "Rollerball" and "Bladerunner" are my favorites. Also good is the Mad Max trilogy.

Other recommendations, though not precisely man-flicks would be "48 Hours", "The Untouchables", "Pulp Fiction", and "Runaway Train".

Ok, a couple more. "Falling Down" - great movie and the Clint Eastwood westerns "Unforgiven" and "The Outlaw Josey Wales".

Edited by Jim

It's more like...

"Movies Guaranteed to Make Women Leave The Room (or Go Shopping!)"

Beevis & Butthead (Time/Life Collection)

The Three Stooges (any - pick one)

School of Rock

Full Metal Jacket

XMen (I love these, too!)

Dazed and Confused (also loved it!)

GoodFellas

Pirate of The Caribbean (rumor has it that Keith Richards will be in the 2nd or 3rd movie, as Johnny Depp's character's father!)

Well, probably everybody's seen it a dozen times or more, but RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK has got to be the greatest comic-book movie of all time.

For a darker theme, THE RAGING BULL is a longtime favorite. I think it was De Niro's best. Maybe not exactly a "guy" flick, but I don't know a woman that didn't hate it.

And Chas, except for maybe the Stooges, I'd be outta the room too. "School of Rock"? Accck!

Damn, you guys are young......

Here is part of my list (off the top of my head) in no certain order (some of these have already been mentioned). I'll supplement this later

Bullit

The Good Bad And The Ugly

The Dirty Dozen

The Great Escape

The Hustler

The French Connection

The Wild Bunch

Slapshot

Death Wish

High Plains Drifter

Mean Streets

Runaway Train