GreaseSpot Cafe

Watch Your Step

mstar1

Maybe this is old news to some of you, but its new to me... About 3 weeks ago I was in Delaware and drove through a little town at about 5:30 am. The streets were dead as one would expect at that hour.

The light on the main drag turned yellow as I approached then red as I arrived and since no one else was around and I didnt particularly feel like waiting I cruised through. Today I got a citation for $75.00 in the mail complete with color closeup photos and internet video links.

I knew they did this at toll booths, but videos at redlights in the middle of nowhere at 5:30 am?

To me its not so much the $75.00 but FWIW --They're watchin'

Welcome to the land of the "free"....

This country's on a scarey path, mstar....there are camera's everywhere...and then some!!!!

I can hardly believe people get excited that you can get a satellite pic of your house....scares the gojeebies outta me!!!

My cousin in Jersey city had his house robbed. Someone was surveillancing his house via satellite, waiting for both the cars in the driveway to be gone, when they broke in.

Pretty scarey stuff.

Camera's have been used in other countries for many years for speeders and traffic light violations...

(Trust me... I know... :blink: )

Some people have suggested that we adopt more European ideas... This is an example of one we did... :asdf:

Should you travel a lot, this is a handy guide to maintain max speed,

and slow down, where ya should. :)

BEAR TRAPS

Going to Iowa, from Minney-soda, there is one camera (8 miles into Iowa)

hanging right over the south bound lane of I-35, pointing directly at you.

Speed is 70 miles per in Minney-soda, but only 65 in Iowa.

Since 70 mph usually means 75 - 80 mph (plus),

yer *toast* if you don't slow down for that camera. :(

CB's and radar detectors don't do the job anymore.

And there are lotsa intersections (here in Duluth) that have cameras hanging over them.

I do know a coupla folks who did the same as you Mstar,

and were surprised when they opened their *snail-mail* a day or two later,

with pics, laws cited, and demands to pay the fine.

Big brother is watching, recording, and ticketing.

(Sure wish I could find a pic of that one in Iowa --- It is blatant.

Not hidden at all -- hanging high, lens pointed right at your license plate.)

:realmad::realmad:

Edited by dmiller

not just camera's!

In the up-scale apartment houses/ town houses here every apt. has motion detectors!

Cameras in the hallways and motion detectors in the apts and homes .

Many consider it a blessing .if something goes wrong they can call or check to see if someone is in the apartment . by camera, or motion detector they are watching you all the time it is great security .

great for college kids or disabled or just somone who needs somone to care.

At first it flipped me out but I think it is good.

---C got it right --it wasn't the money --i know I ran the light....---but it was way way too 1984ish for my tastes---the videos of me were the kicker---Fri...in' Videos??, Ive heard of these things but this was my first encounter with the big eye compelling me in even the most innocuous circumstances to ....conform ...conform...conform....

Y'know I read these things about Big Brother recording what websites we go to, what library books we take out, our spending habits, etc. etc. ... --now videos of us driving? Made me think what aren't

they telling us that they are doing.....

I like it here but Im not too thrilled with people watchin over my shoulder every second of the day--its just alittle too science fictiony for me--

Give my best to that cool husband of yours--one of these days we are going to have to get together again--we are due---

......and thanks for the link! always good to hear that again

I chuckled at the memories of us in that big ole white step van of his. How many of us were there in that thing anyway? :unsure: And remember that gate thing he made so we could see where we'd been. OMG can you laugh at some of the insane things we did to get up here where I live now. :blink:

And yes it would be wonderful to get together again and you guys certainly enjoyed each others company that I do recall. I can just hear you talking about this very subject. I would have to just smile and shake my head. :)

Didn't he have bunks built up on the sides so we were stacked in there? OMG I swear I am laughing so hard at some of the face expressions of the folks as they looked inside and saw us. :biglaugh:

And then didn't we have guitars and singing going on sometimes. I mean honest to gawd what did we look like anyway! :unsure:

Oh to have that on video would indeed be a joy my friend. :)