GreaseSpot Cafe

In praise of TWI/VPW/PFAL and other acronyms.

WordWolf

According to my friend, he put these 500 dollar pick ups on it, therefore boosting it's worth. But thanks for the heads up Bluzman. Also, he's asking six hundred for the git-tar, but the hard case is really nice so he wants an extra hundy for it. Fact is, I probably won't buy it. But I do get to play it for the next 12 weeks... :dance:

:offtopic:

Can I pipe in on the guitar talk ?

I still use a stock 75 Fender Strat, cream white that I picked up for $175.00. I've done a lot of work on the fret board and have experimented with different pickup configurations but still have an affinity for the stock pickups even though the hum is there. Seymour Duncan have replacement pickups with no perceptible noise but aside from recording I find that any good noise gate can eliminate the hum. Prior to 75 I used a Les Paul Junior which was quite noisy but great for rock and even better for slide playing. Those guitars are cheap but can cut through the mix espcially with any decent amp. Marshalls were nice and the 50 watt was MORE than enough. I also played jazz gigs back in the day with a stock Fender Telecaster with a rosewood neck and almost always used the neck pickup exclusively to avoid the trebly tones of the bridge pickup. Way back when there was a guy out of Canda named Ed Bickert who played jazz with the Tele which is where I got the idea from. Later on guys like Mike Stern went for the Tele also though I think his is made by Sadowsky. As far as amps I used a Fender Bassman and Vibroverb with the Tele and strat and have always found some wisdom in the "use fender with fender" axiom.

On the other hand I've used Les Pauls and despite their weight (Which I don't have a problem with) they have endless sustain and a great fret board. I've used the LP with a Fender Twin but prefer the sounds of the 50W marshall. I should point out that the Mesa Boogies were also quite capable of accomodating either the LP or strat. I'm a big believer in quality used instruments and will typically avoid the new market simply because most of the instruments aren't well made. There are exceptions but unless you are looking for a MIDI capable guitar (Brian Moore makes some good ones) then steer clear of the Guitar Center "specials". Again. There are exceptions and if you are happy with the way a guitar feels then who really cares ? One thing that is interesting to me is the price of Les Pauls - back in the late 70s to mid 80s they were cheap as chips but later on when G&R got popular and Slash made LP popular again those prices shot up and have remained high ever since. In some of the second hand shops they are asking mad money for older Les Pauls and many times without good reason. I would also like to point out that the Gibson ES-335 is a great , versatile guitar that is all too often passed over by rockers since it is so strongly associated with jazz. But its a great sounding guitar even when plugged up through a marshall. Sure. The guitar looks a little bit "square" but it sure doesn't sound like it,

Edited by diazbro

I am thankful for all the wonderful people I met in the Way. I was 18 years old and was at rock bottom emotionally one night in my bedroom. I dropped to my knees at the open window and loked at the night sky with all the stars and asked God to make me whole. I told him simply that all I wanted was to be happy. I had seriously been considering suicide. That was my entire prayer.

Within 24 hours I had been "witnessed to" by my neighbor who was about 10 years older than me. I loved the love and the fellowship. I remember how sweet it was and how "happy" it made me. It made me completely turn around. I wanted to live.

So see it was the LOVE of God that saved me, his love manifested in people who truly loved and wanted to serve others. You would almost have to have that kind of mind set to endure the Way Corps. That is why today I respect alot of Way Corp, especially the ones I got a chance to be with. Many of them were quite wonderful. I interacted with a couple of bozos too, but generally speaking.............

The LOVE of God hooked me before PFAL, and the class was just a part of what everybody did and talked about. It was the whole caught up in the moment thing. That is why when the years went by and they began to elevate MAN'S word over GOD'S word, I became very turned off. It was a blessing in some ways to be marked and avoided. I was always getting into trouble with my rebelliousness :who_me: