socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dan --

I showed Hubby your pics and your guitar from the eBay auction - he mentioned that there's a guy named Dan Erlewine who's written books and columns on guitar repair - you might wanna check him out...

http://www.danerlewine.com/

That guy's like the JAL of luthiers - I don't think I need more classes though - I need more clamps (lol)!

post-150-1178513499_thumb.jpg

But I did install one of Mr. Erlewine's "Hot Rod" truss rods in the neck this evening, re-attaching the fingerboard to the neck via 10 clamps and 6 tie wraps, and of course some Titebond glue.

post-150-1178513460_thumb.jpg

In three days, I'll release the neck from its jaws, and "raise it from the dead". :biglaugh:

post-150-1178513537_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

Men... tools... wood.... things to be fixed... ug!

I can feel the testerone levels rising in the room with that stuff...

Guys love fixin' stuff. I swear hubby tweaks his amps and stuff just cuz he needs to scratch that itch to fix somethin'...

(Never mind we have siding that needs replacing on the house after the nor'easter last month...) <_<

Personally, I'd like that but I was into wood working with my dad when I was a kid - you know, building birdhouses and the like. Just messin' around.

Anyhow... I do love stringing up my bass and cleaning it.

But I really love just playing. I got enough chores already.... :biglaugh:

Two big losses to report in the past few days.

1.) Big Joe Duskin(Cinn.,Oh.)Boogie Woogie Piano man

Most recently teamed up with guitarist Peter Frampton

2.) Carrie Bell (Chicago) Harpslinger

Made his original claim to fame backing Muddy Waters.

RIP

Ala P and I went to see Don Ross last night. Boy what a concert. He is getting more versatile as well. He played some blues, some folky stuff as well as the great funky stuff he is known for. He absolutely blew our minds. He mentioned he uses over a hundred types of tunings-I don't know more than one. This guy is amazing, so if you ever have the chance to see him, do so.

Ala P and I went to see Don Ross last night. Boy what a concert. He is getting more versatile as well. He played some blues, some folky stuff as well as the great funky stuff he is known for. He absolutely blew our minds. He mentioned he uses over a hundred types of tunings-I don't know more than one. This guy is amazing, so if you ever have the chance to see him, do so.

I've never heard of him before -----

I just found out that there is a new, live CD by the Paul deLay band.

Paul passed away about a month ago. He was a master of the chromatic harp.

He was once quoted as saying."This is one cat who ain't afraid to push the button.", a reference to playing beyond the standard "3rd position".

Funny Paul D. story:

In about 2000 or 2001, I learned that Paul had released a CD titled "Heavy Rotation".

The promos said that if you ordered directly from him, he would send you an autographed copy at no extra charge.

A buddy of mine is a big fan so I ordered two copies, one for me and one for him.

At about 11pm my phone rings. I'm about 2 or 3 time zones east of Paul's home base in Portland, Oregon.

Half asleep, I answered the phone and heard a voice say, "This is Peter Dammonn, Paul's guitarist. Paul is out on a solo tour right now but I just got your order for two copies of our latest CD. Would it be OK if I wait for him to get back and sign them before I ship them out?"

It was, of course, more than OK. A week or so later , the CDs arrived with a huge gel-pen signature.

Can you imagine someone like K. Richards calling you at home to tell you Mick was out solo and asking if it was OK to wait for an autograph? Ain't gonna happen, kids.

I have not heard this CD yet. I'm going to go out on a limb and endorse it anyway.

Paul never did anything halfarsed and I would be flabbergasted to find this to be the exception.

You can find it at pauldelay.com.

Did that sound too much like an advertisement? :)

Did that sound too much like an advertisement? :)

Not at all! T'was a personal story about a personable entertainer.

Nice to hear there are entertainers who can still relate to their audience,

and not be stuck in some ivory (or is that ivoroid binding) tower somewhere.

:spy:

Nice tune, hey Chatty? Needless to day, Donald Fagan and Walter Becker have some tunes. The Larry Carlton comments are kinda cool too.

Found this on u-toob, a collection of photos and a Paul DeLay tune that was put up. What a great sound waysider! He really does sound great.

Edited by socks