GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

** bump **

I was just listening to Big Country - if you're a product of the 80's you'll know what I'm talking about...

I loved how they were able to give their guitars a "bagpipes" sound - which was very appropriate considering they were from Scotland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqwaTXdPPQ...ted&search=

By the way - anyone tried ripping a whole CD collection to thier computer? I've got over 4 gigs (3 days) worth of music ripped to iTunes so far and I'm only about a third of the way done... After that, I'm going to try ripping my record collection - that should be interesting taking analog to digital...

Edited by ChasUFarley

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't Chas. I've done a couple albums, and that was fun. I had to break them up into cuts, to keep the size manageable. How are you going to do it? I went direct in - the D.I. method worked, and then I went back and cleaned up the cuts a little, the "zzzsssszzz" at the beginning and end.

I liked Big Country, definitely brings back the 80's! Seems like - the bass player was about to go into the Pretenders, and chose Big Country. He does some nice playing on that tune. They got compared to U2, and although they had the same kind of power to their sound they seemed different to me, a little more musical, melodic. "Peace in Our Time" is another cool tune of theirs. Those Scottish can kick some butz.

Edited by socks

I haven't tried it yet - I'm still working on the CD collection... I've got a huge project I'm working on now for a client that's as boring as listening to RFR reading a telephone book. So, to make it more interesting, I'm ripping the CD's while I'm working. It helps move things along...

I read up more on the guitar/bagpipes sound - it was a lot of effects - couplers, reverb, echo, etc. - neat effects.

Been thinking about getting an effects pedal for my bass... really need to change the strings but I'm afraid to because I love the size and feel of them now... According to hubby I can do with a less-industrial strength string than what's on there now. But I've had no problems playing and the strings aren't too worn yet... (Can't remember the gage of them right now... that's more his department than mine...)

By the way, hubby's band is up to 6 gigs for this summer - yippee! Anyone gigging or anything of the sort this summer?

Further off the subject - a "baby picture" of my Gretsch baritone, the project guitar I picked up a month ago - for your

viewing pleasure through the magic of my cheap "Glass Darkly" camera.

post-150-1180026782_thumb.jpg

Specs: StewMac Double action truss rod, Grover tuners (vintage late 70s), Bigsby B50 Trem, Wilkinson roller bridge, a set of 1957

Gibson Les Paul P90s, Graph Tech nut.

The double-action truss rod is just what this neck needed to help get straightened out, to undo all the excessive relief caused by the previous

owner overtightening the original single action rod and snapping it. About a single turn in the forward bow direction restored a more even

surface on the neck. So far the action is beautiful, and it sounds interesting, aside from a few more minor adjustments still needed to finish it.

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

Sweeeeet I-Dan. Kudos. Nice looking. What kind of string gauges are you going with?

Chas, how do you like ITunes? I'm guessing you like it. I do, it's really the first program I've fully embraced for listening to and organizing music.

I'm starting out with some light D'Addario strings - from .013 through .056 - my local music store didn't have any proper sets of baritone strings so we put together a set from the individual strings they sold. I thought it best to break in both guitar and player with lighter strings. I'm aware others set up their baritone guitars as 6 string basses, going with heavier strings.

Later I'll try out some different gauge strings, I'm sure.

Last night I corrected my mistake with the input jack (I got the wires backwards - duh!), and shielded the control cavity, and when I finally plugged into my amp, I was absolutely blown away by the sound of the guitar with the p90s, and the incredible "sustain" of the instrument.

At one point, I set the guitar on its stand, struck an E chord and walked away, - and it was still rumbling a couple minutes later, like that final piano chord in "A Day in a Life" (lol).

So far it's got quite an impressive tonal palette, which I look forward to exploring further after I get out of work tonight.

Danny

Sweeeeet I-Dan. Kudos. Nice looking. What kind of string gauges are you going with?

Chas, how do you like ITunes? I'm guessing you like it. I do, it's really the first program I've fully embraced for listening to and organizing music.

I love iTunes - I have it sync'd with my movies and photos so that I upload everything to my video iPod in one sitting... I also like how I can make playlists, renames things, and sort them. I wish I had more time to spend with it... I've also started playing with Garage Band, as I hope to get into podcasting - but right now I have too many projects going on...

My fingers hurt.

Chas, you must have pretty good callouses on your fingertips from playing your bass.

I do - but then I've never been a "girlie girl" and had my nails all perfect and all... I have worse calluses from weight lifting.

I find the key thing for me isn't the calluses but keeping my fingernails very short - like almost to the pink. That makes a big difference.

I've heard - I've never tried it - that you can put superglue on the tips of your fingers and let it dry (and don't scratch anywhere or pick anything up while it's drying!) and it makes a faux callous for you.

Dan-I just saw Don Ross and he played his new hand-made Baritone Acoustic guitar. The sound was much bigger and warmer than the regular acoustic guitar he played most of the night. I wanted more. Boy would I love one of those.

rot-row... I detect a case of g.a.s. here.... :spy:

Dan-I just saw Don Ross and he played his new hand-made Baritone Acoustic guitar. The sound was much bigger and warmer than the regular acoustic guitar he played most of the night. I wanted more. Boy would I love one of those.

Polar Bear -Was the acoustic a Veilette guitar by chance?

So far I'm finding the sound of the baritone to be indeed warm and much fatter, having the sustain of a grand piano. It's breathtaking.

I've got the volume on my Vox valvotronix amp set at a comfortable room level, at the "Clean" setting,

and I can attest, the Gretsch can produce a very sweet acoustic sound, with varied subtle chime and bell-like tones, depending

on how you play.

I must confess I've also become sold on P90 pickups over the past couple days. The P90s have an open, raw, unpretentious clarity

and responsiveness I've never encountered with Humbuckers.

Eastwood Guitars offers a "Baritone Jack" at a fairly reasonable price, that sports a set of P90s. I would have picked that up awhile back had it also a trem.

Chas, the idea of putting superglue on my fingers almost scares me (lol), though I might be more tempted to try that on my right picking hand than my left.

I generally keep my nails short on my left hand, and let them grow on my right, though I know well already that the baritone is going to wear down completely my natural 'fingerpicks' in no time. I'm still considering trying out some kind of "press-on nails" because so far I haven't been too successful with those slip-on fingerpicks.

Danny

Chas, the idea of putting superglue on my fingers almost scares me (lol), though I might be more tempted to try that on my right picking hand than my left.

I generally keep my nails short on my left hand, and let them grow on my right, though I know well already that the baritone is going to wear down completely my natural 'fingerpicks' in no time. I'm still considering trying out some kind of "press-on nails" because so far I haven't been too successful with those slip-on fingerpicks.

Danny

Actually -- Super Glue was originally meant to be an adhesive for *hurt* body parts.

CLICK HERE!!

:spy:

The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together after surgery. In 1964, Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Soon afterward Dr. Harry Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam—reportedly in 1966, cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. In an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News, Coover said that the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposable cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battlefield.

If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding, the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was—many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved.

Edited by dmiller

A thread on guitars! :love3:

wav or mp3

hey kathy... im a 1981 grad.. and this is my first breakthrough on finally getting through this system to be able to comunicate with exway fellowship... please forgive my off topicness here but i have to talk with someone about how this greasespot cafe thing has been keepng me out for over a year, and finally I get through to someone... by golly you.

Can you call me? and should I be afraid to post my cell number here? I sincerely don't think I should be, but won't yet.

My email? yep that I'm sure is fine.... mlucido12@sprintpcs.com

Im in southern cal.. its about 7:45PM now 5-27-07

please contact me soon sister..

kind regards............. ---mike===>>>

BTW.... I am also looking for Dan Moran... I play one of the songs he wrote back in the 80's "One Mind" all the time, everywhere, to almost everybody I play with and for... (and to).. I want to mix some tracks and put it on You Tube, myt space, and other video sites and I really think I should get his permission first..

any help there would be apreciable, too.

and ... well.. for a back on topic point.. I play a yamaha FG-160 accoustic for the last 31 years, if that means anything..

to anybody..

kind regards to all............ ===mike=== itr4u.tripod.com (my old website been up for a decade, now)

Hello TechMike. Welcome to GSC.. :)

By the way.... sir.. ypu should remmmember Dan.. he is still around ain't he?

last I saw him was about 17 years ago.. teaching within his own home, near oceanside cal.. the break was so fresh then.. thats when martindale was cool, too..... I think.... I don't know. actually how cool he really was.. I just liked the teaching on how peter was an idiot most of the time.. not just the time when he needed so much help to do such a simple task as wwwwaaaalllkkk.... oonnn .... dare I say it? WATER... oh .. my bad.. I slipped..

Thought peter may have needed a little stretched out hand.. boy, he played a mean guitar....

kind regards............ ---techmike===>>>

Welcome techmike!

You've joined a thread of very awesome folks posting and started by one of our kindest souls on the board (Kit Sober is the most precious) so relax and take your shoes off and have fun amongst folks that sometime argue amongst themselves but they also fight for each other and we are without doubt a family here.

Greets techmike! Dan is down in Southern California. FG 160's are nice guitars! Good idea to hold on to that one.

Super glue for callousing - hmmmm...I've heard of that, but never done it deliberately. Washing your hands softens the fingertips, so if you ever see a solo guitarist with dirty hands, they've probably experienced that and realized they'd rather play dirty. In so many words. :biglaugh:

At one time I did try Super Glue on a thumbnail that cracked and it held fine. I evolved away from using nails over time.

Chas, I'm really enjoying ITunes - for all the same reasons, it's a great way to get everything in one place. I'm kind of slow to get synched up, but when I do, it's all good. And Garageband is equally friendly, I've only tested it, not having a Mac I don't have it. Liked it a lot.

- InvisibleDan, wondered are you using standard tuning? (E A D G B E)

That's some low down stringage, Invisible Dan!

I've tried a C tuning, dropping to C below the low E, too-makes for some low rumblies.

C - G - D - G - C - E

Dramatic spaghetti western-cowboy-meets-grunge-rocker setting.

made all the more illustrious with the Bigsby.

Lalo Schifrin, look out! :biglaugh: