GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you still consider yourself a minister? Or Do you still minister?

ChasUFarley

Used to be (when in twi) I thought a *minister* had to be an ordained person. Not so any more.

Nowdays, I see it as service to others

I agree with you on this, I think that the narrow definitions of TWI's interpretation of 'ministries' and desire to make Wierwille clone ministers, actually thwarted and killed many of the real gifts and genuine 'ministries' that people had, who were trying to be pigeonholed into being people that they were not and never would be.

Once people leave, get out from under the narrow restrictions and can be themselves their real gifts are free to flourish.

I said it earlier I think everyone has some gift to offer that is specific to them, it can take many forms and facets

"Are you now, or have you ever been..."

Nope, never did, and sure don't now.

The whole thing strikes me as just so much sillyness.

So I have a superstition that I really, really believe. So now I'm gonna try my best to convince others that stepping on a crack WILL break their mother's back, and this makes me a "minister"?

Uh un, whatever blows yer skirt up...

Interesting responses - not exactly what I thought would happen, although I expected a few of the usual wise guys to post - and they did! :wink2:

Maybe I've taken this wrong but.. I'm usually "one of the wise guys" but what I posted I posted in seriousness... I try to help folks when I can... I thought that's what you wanted to know. I don't like the term "minister" and it's derivatives, it was too objectified in TWI IMO (if that's the right term). I do what I've done all my life...before, during and after TWI...

v. min·is·tered, min·is·ter·ing, min·is·ters

v. intr.

To attend to the wants and needs of others:

I've always thought of it as a verb not a title.

Edited by Tom Strange

Well the example of ministering as established by TWI doesn't mean much. Being angry with people for not running enough PFAL or WAP classes isn't what I would call ministering to people. I'll tell you this. Some of the churches I've seen growing up did more real ministering than TWI ever did. They actually helped people - Fed people. Conducted missions. Had mentoring programs. Sponsored young people in college. What did TWI do ? Taught us to be contemptuous of everyone who didn't want to take PFAL. Remember, they are all corpses and this includes your blood relatives - especially those who would try to talk you out of taking PFAL. I don't know how anyone who was ordained in TWI feels about their ability to minister to people. I'm sure there were some well meaning folks and they can tell their stories here. But the larger share of those who were ordained were promoting the TWI over and above anything else.

I have to agree with Patriot here. Used to be (when in twi) I thought a *minister* had to be an ordained person.

Dmiller, I thought exactly the opposite in twi.

I thought I and we, all of us, were ministers. We who preach and teach the gospel.

We are all ambassadors, ministers, and we didn't need to be ordained to do those things.

I think I took care of people before and after TWI than I ever did while involved. People were a commodity to me while in TWI. There was so much pressure to bring new people, that I looked at everyone as a potential commission payment, so to speak. <_<

Before TWI I was gregarious, generous to a fault and always ready, willing and able to lend an ear, a shoulder, an extra bedroom....whatever. I was really good at making people laugh and could make people forget their troubles when they were around me. I honestly think I left most people better than I found them.

But then came TWI and I was taught how to "properly" witness and undershepherd someone. :unsure: I was taught that to really help people you had to sign them up for these classes. You had to get them to say the right words - no "wish" , "luck", "bet", "fortunate", "create", etc. You had to confront them with the word to really help them. Teach them to control their emotions. Teach them to follow the rules. blah blah blah ....

I think I ministered before TWI and minister today, after TWI, better than I ever did while involved with TWI. But I'm sure this isn't a good definition of "minister" to some people.

Belle --

Interesting response.

I don't think anyone has really had a THUS SAITH THE LORD definition of the meaning of "ministering". Without turning this thread into a thread about doctorine, it seems people link it mostly with healing and taking care of people (which can also be healing).

Several posters now have mentioned that they do a better job of ministering now that they're out of TWI.

Hhhmmmmm..... fancy that!

Could it be because we're not so uptight from all the rules, meetings, and heartless reproof?

Couldn't be - it's got to be that "other god" working in us, right? :wink2:

But then came TWI and I was taught how to "properly" witness and undershepherd someone. :unsure: I was taught that to really help people you had to sign them up for these classes. You had to get them to say the right words - no "wish" , "luck", "bet", "fortunate", "create", etc. You had to confront them with the word to really help them. Teach them to control their emotions. Teach them to follow the rules. blah blah blah ....

I think I ministered before TWI and minister today, after TWI, better than I ever did while involved with TWI. But I'm sure this isn't a good definition of "minister" to some people.

Hi Belle.......so good to see you again. :)

Yeah.......sign them up for these classes......and let the class "minister" to them.

The systematizing of error in twi was on multiple fronts. By the early 80s, it was like forbidden to take lots of individual time to listen, to care, to minister to others. Just another twi-perversion......working its way through the waytree, from the root to the leaves.

The amount of ministering a person did in twi was based upon the commitment and mindset of the individual making the decision.

I've seen the variations in twi ... here are two examples: the "spiritual hitchhiker", those who are constantly feeding off of others, and the "minister", those who feed others.

It's all about who we were as individuals, and what kind of commitment we made.