GreaseSpot Cafe

Big Love

Seth R.

I just watched Big Love on HBO last night after the Soprano's and I must say I liked it.

Matter of fact I recommend it for us Ex-TWI folks, there's alot of interesting stuff in the show, and it's by far the closest thing to life in a cult I've seen portrayed on TV.

If anyone has seen it please let's talk about it here.

Thanks,

Seth

http://www.hbo.com/biglove/?ntrack_para1=feat_sec1_title

Edited by Seth R.

Big Love is about a Fundamental LDS group like the ones in Colorado City, Arizona, and Hildale, Utah. We had a thread going about these groups on the open forum.

I saw it. The only unrealistic thing I saw was the main character's interaction with the Prophet. I don't think they would still be friendly if he had been kicked out of the compound at 14.

The series is interesting .

Edited by Wayfer Not

Eww, the premise for this show is gross. The character has a blog where she complains that she can't "satisfy" her husband? And she hopes that the other wives are just as bad in bed???

I am not a LDS, I don't believe in the Mormon religion, but this show is NOT about Mormonism, it is about a cult that was derived from some of the tenets of the Mormon church. The groups on the Co/AZ border never had the approval of the LDS church.

allan, when you were in TWI, would you have wanted a TV show depicting every off-the-wall aspect as if it was accepted, and call it TWI? And yet, in TWI, a lot of the off-the-wall stuff DID come right from leadership. In this show, they flaunt practices that do NOT belong to the church today.

Sheesh, you'd think with our backgrounds we could understand this stuff by now.

Shaz

Sorry, my last post wasn't strong enough.

Mo has explained her religion on this forum many times, usually in response to posts like yours, allan. I think that is a LOOOONG way from "promoting her cult."

Your disrespect and intolerance and that cheap shot tell me that you didn't learn anything important from your experience in a cult.

In my opinion.

Shaz

Your disrespect and intolerance and that cheap shot tell me that you didn't learn anything important from your experience in a cult.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

I think his only purpose on here is to follow Mo around and attack her and her religion at every chance. Notice that he hardly, if ever, contributes anything worthy to a discussion. All he knows how to do is attack, belittle and spit on people. Yeppers! That would make me want to join his little offshoot.....NOT!!! He's becoming like Mike in his insistence on posting his irrelevant agenda and thereby derailing any real discussion that could take place. I recommend the ignore feature for him and others. ;)

I hope that the show makes it clear that this group being portrayed is NOT mainstream Mormonism, but rather, a perverted version of the original. If it opens people's eyes to recognize how they, too, can be manipulated and totally convinced that something so wrong is so right, especially those who are raised in this environment. With the isolation from society, they really have no sense of "normalcy" nor do they have any other good examples to which they can compare their lives.

I don't agree with the beiefs of Mormons or anything branched off of it. I don't believe that any Mormon-believing individuals on this forum have been obnoxious in any way. I don't think that anyone has tried to convince me or anyone else to become Mormon. I do believe that everyone has the right to their opinions AND has the right to post them as long as they aren't attacking people. I think Templelady has been gracious here--UNLIKE SOMEONE WHO NAGS HER.

So in what way did I 'attack' Mo in my post ? I think Belle you're being 'hysterical' again. This from someone who asked if WD and I were married ? because she didn't like some of our posts ?!

Belle, I thought you had me on ignore ? Pretty close to 'lying' don't you think !!

Anyways...the 'mainstream' Mormon church is closer to some of these split-offs than you seem to know (or acknowledge) Particularly in some of the South Pacific Islands where polygamy amongst the Mormons is turned a blind eye to.

It is only government laws that refrains the 'mainstream' LDS church from practising this belief and a number of others. I was told this by an ex-LDS Bishop and also saw some of this whilst I was living in the Islands.

The nagger is back..... <_< and up to the same old same old......

Even if the Mormon church still practiced polygamy, I would like to believe that they wouldn't make teenage girls marry men 3 times their age. If they are all consenting adults, I don't care how many wives they have if they are all happy in their arrangement.

Edited by Wayfer Not

Actually, Tommy, I think most women believe they can be the ONLY one too because that's all we can handle too! There's just not enough room for more than one woman in my house...LOLOL!

The polygamist groups in Arizona have one HUGE house. As a man acquires more wives, they just add on to the house. Some of the houses have restaurant style kitchens to feed the masses in their homes. They don't always have a separate house for each wife like this show portrays, just different sections of a larger house.

Edited by Wayfer Not

So in what way did I 'attack' Mo in my post ?
Belle said that you attacked her religion, not her.

But it does seem like every time templelady expresses an opinion, you're there with a criticism of the LDS church. Kinda like pavlov's dogs, ring the bell, here comes Allan :biglaugh:

Am I being hysterical? :evilshades:

Seth..I gotta go along on tha cult part,,,its just a little farther east than I am used too....ain't ya from West Virgini or someplace close?

New Jersey "The (Asphalt) Garden State"

was born in Fort Wayne Ind though

Seth