GreaseSpot Cafe

United States Eliminated in World Baseball Classic

Mark Sanguinetti

The United States team made up of high priced major league baseball players was eliminated in the second round of the World Baseball Classic tournament. They lost to Mexico last night 2-1. This was a game that Mexico had no incentive to win other than pride as they had previously lost there last 2 games and did not have enough victories in pool play to move on to the semi-finals. The U.S. team would have moved on to the semi-finals with a victory and should have had much more incentive to win than Mexico.

The four teams still in the tournament are Korea, Japan, the Dominican Republic and my new favorite Cuba. Why is Cuba my new favorite? Because in comparison to the multi-million dollar salaries of the United States major league players they are amateurs. Although Cuba does have there own league from which they get paid a relatively small salary.

A question for you. Do you think if Cuba wins the tournament, George Bush, Jr. will invite the Cuba team to the White House and personally congratulate them? Afterall George is a real big baseball fan and he likes photo opportunities, especially ones where he can dress up. Do you all remember him on the aircraft carrier dressed up in a flight suit saying "combat operations in Iraq have ceased" with the Mission Accomplished banner overhead? How about George Jr. dressed up in a red Cuban national team baseball uniform congratulating the Cuban baseball players for a job well done while smoking a made in Havana Cuba victory cigar? :wink2:

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

At a news conference Tuesday, Bush remarked that the "Mission Accomplished" sign "of course, was put up by the members of the USS Abraham Lincoln, saying that their mission was accomplished. I know it was attributed some how to some ingenious advance man from my staff -- they weren't that ingenious, by the way."

The pic I saw showed Pres Bush in a suit. Do you really hate Bush enough to want to honor Castro in the White House?

Back to baseball, the pro guys are barely in spring training yet, I doubt they are even on their steroids yet ...

I want to try to keep this on a baseball theme. Otherwise the thread should be moved to political. Therefore no comments from me on whether I dislike Bush and how much. However, it is a long standing tradition to invite championship sports teams to the White House to be congratulated by the president.

When the Baltimore Orioles played the Cuban national team last spring, Castro was a guest of the Orioles and watched the game from their stadium in Baltimore. There are no laws that I know of which would prevent Castro from visiting the White House and he has committed no crimes. Our largest import trade partner now is communist China. We have made friends and now have diplomatic relations with Russia and Vietnam, previously our enemies. I am not sure why Cuba and Castro are singaled out with such right wing scorn and paranoia now. As I said though. This is a baseball thread and so shall it remain. If you want more political stuff here you are free to copy my posts and place them in one of the two political forums.

I want to try to keep this on a baseball theme. Otherwise the thread should be moved to political. Therefore no comments from me on whether I dislike Bush and how much. However, it is a long standing tradition to invite championship sports teams to the White House to be congratulated by the president.

Only if you severely misinterpret the tradition.

Not once did the U.S. invite Olympic Gold Medalists from the USSR to the White House. Or from most other countries.

They invite the champions of American competitions, or American winners of international competitions. Surely there are exceptions. But generally, unless Cuba becomes a state...

P.S. If you really want this to be about baseball, then talk about baseball. "Combat operations in Iraq have ceased" has nothing to do with baseball. it has to do with you hating Bush, which is your prerogative, but it's somewhat disingenuous to turn around and say "now, now, let's keep this about baseball..."

Edited by Raf

When the Baltimore Orioles played the Cuban national team last spring, Castro was a guest of the Orioles and watched the game from their stadium in Baltimore. There are no laws that I know of which would prevent Castro from visiting the White House and he has committed no crimes. Our largest import trade partner now is communist China. We have made friends and now have diplomatic relations with Russia and Vietnam, previously our enemies. I am not sure why Cuba and Castro are singaled out with such right wing scorn and paranoia now. As I said though. This is a baseball thread and so shall it remain. If you want more political stuff here you are free to copy my posts and place them in one of the two political forums.
Good grief mark ... you make a bunch more political statements, then have the audacity to claim you want to keep this about baseball ... lol, like here, I'm going to make a bunch more ridiculous political statements, now please confine your responses to baseball ... China, our "import trade partner" what kind of language is that? what kind of "partner" has a huge trade surplus, supported by a rigged currency and slave labor, not to mention the theft of patented materials and technology? We have made "friends" with Russia? Diplomatic relations is several steps away from being "friends". I'm not quite sure France is even our "friend". This whole political talk stuff gets convoluted, i agree, but Bush hate has clouded Democrat's thinking way too much.

i'd quote raf, but I don't want to be in the positilon of agreeing wth raf about anything :evilshades:

well... since this is very thinly disguised as a sports topic... why would W invite a team from a foreign country to the white house? He (and the other Presidents) only invite teams from the good old U S of A... so what is the point of your question again?

I just heard about the major upset in the World Baseball Classic. I was promoting my custom athletic uniform manufacturing business all day today at the California North Youth Soccer Equipment show and missed the game on T.V. When I came home though I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Cuba defeated the Dominican Republic 3 to 1. This is not nearly as big of an upset as the 1980 U.S. hockey victory over the USSR, but this is a huge upset nevertheless. Considering all the major league stars that play for the Dominican Republic for Cuba to be victorious has got to have that small island rocking. The team that makes the least amount of money by far, Cuba, will now play for the championship on Monday night 6:00 p.m. Pacific Coast time. They will play Japan which defeated Korea. I have nothing against Japan and admire their team, especially after they got cheated out of a run in a close lose to the U.S. and kept their complaints to a minimum. The replays clearly showed that Japan was hurt in their game against the U.S. team by a very poor call by the plate umpire when he over ruled another umpire who had a much better view of a tag up play at third base on a sacrifice fly. It was bush league and very poor professional ethics on the part of the U.S. plate umpire, but neverthess Japan made it through to the semi-finals when the U.S. lost to Mexico in their last game.

To me the fact that Cuba will play Japan in the final reinforces something I have known for many years about sports. It is not always the best team or the best players that achieve victory. Often it is the team and players who have the greatest desire and will to win. Clearly in a tournament like this where the money handed to the victors is not as much as the major league players are used to. A team like Cuba with no major league players can shine and show the world their rich baseball tradition. And a team like Japan with only one major league player can show that their professional league is a good one also.

Who is Bobby V.?

The great Japanese slugger Sarahara (spelling?) Oh manages the Japanese team.

And the best looking uniforms (mostly red with no pinstripes) are worn by the Cuban team which is another reason why I will be rooting for them. They have good taste.

Isn't Bobby V managing the Japanese squad? I'll root for them then...

Bobby Valentine, former MLB manager that has been managing in Japan for a few years (successfully)

as soon as the Cuban guys defect they'll all be millionaires in pinstripes...

I meant Yankee pinstripes! ...but I'm betting you knew that!

Edited by Tom Strange

The great Japanese slugger Sadaharu Oh manages the Japanese team.

And the best looking uniforms (mostly red with no pinstripes) are worn by the Cuban team which is another reason why I will be rooting for them. They have good taste.

I am a California Bay Area fan so my 3 favorite teams are the Athletics, the Giants and whoever is playing the Yankees. I do like the New York Mets though.

Congratulations to Japan for winning the tournament. Overall though, I think Korea played the best in that they had the best overall record and made no errors in the tournament. They even beat Japan in two out of the 3 games that they played. Japan won the last game though and got hot at the end when it mattered most winning there last two games after winning 3 and losing 3 over the first six. During Korea's first 6 games they won them all going 6 and 0. They were the most impressive. Nevertheless the title goes to Japan with Cuba second.

The final score of the championsship game, in case you missed it was Japan 10 and Cuba 6. Cuba had some talented players, but Japan had better pitching and more discipline at the plate in not swinging at pitches out of the strike zone.

I come in here from time to time just to see if anyone has posted anything about my favorite sports...rodeo and poker.

I saw this and decided to read it.

Now I guess I'll mosey on over to the "About The Way" forum so I can read what Mark has to say about why all of TWI's woes are really Bushes fault.

sheesh

Ron G. says,

...why all of TWI's woes are really Bushes fault.

Do you really believe this Ron? If so I beg to differ with you. I don't think Bush had anything to do with TWI. Did he ever even go to a twig? With all due respect perhaps you should rethink this position of yours.

Sorry, no poker or rodeo on this thread either. Maybe you could start one. I am sure there are many poker playing cowboys so the two together might be a natural.

Now back to America's past time baseball.