GreaseSpot Cafe

The New Research Department?

I Love Bagpipes

Some post somewhere mentioned that TWI is starting to do research again. I couldn't find the post..so thus a new thread.

I wonder if the following (Ministry Resources Studies) is the "research" opening again that is being propounded. I guess technically it is researching....researching TWI materials. I remember LCM hollaring about most people "wouldn't know an original thought if it fell on them!", or something like that. I have also included a paragraph that states there is a study hall time as well.

This quote is from Way Mag, March/April, 2006 form "The Prevailing Word Report: The In-Residence Way Corps - Preparing for a Lifetime of Christian Service".

"In the fall the students focused on series of study times called Ministry Resources Studies. The Way Ministry provides resources such as oral teachings and written publications that contain Biblical research and teaching. This research and teaching of God's Word helps people to understand and apply it. During these study times, the in-resident Way Corps learn to adeptly utilize these resources to help themselves and others.

The students were presented with hypothetical but common situations in which a Way Corps minister may be called upon to serve--situations such as someone requesting counsel concerning family, health, or prosperity. In searching out Word-based solutions, they utilized the Word taught in current Sunday Teaching Services and Way Magazine articles, on The Way International's Web site(www.theway.org), and in our ministry books, publications, and other oral teachings.

One student in the final year of training shares, "The Ministry Resources study times are not only inspiring me to dig deeper into the truths we have available right at our fingertips, but thery're also building my confidence in becoming a minister....."

For me to be fair, the following is a couple paragraphs later:

"Study hall is also a focused time in God's Word that helps the students build strong study habits. One recent Way Corps graduate writes, "Working in the Way Publications Department at The Way International allows me to use many of the things that I learned in study hall. Each day I believe to help make each publicaiton the best before it goes to print....I am thankful for the training that showed me how to build hours of disciplined study into my life in that wonderful Household Comons Library..."

The In-Residence Way Corps - Preparing for a Lifetime of Christian Service
Until you fart in the wrong direction and are dropped liked yesterday's trash.
In the fall the students focused on series of study times called Ministry Resources Studies. The Way Ministry provides resources such as oral teachings and written publications that contain Biblical research and teaching. This research and teaching of God's Word helps people to understand and apply it. During these study times, the in-resident Way Corps learn to adeptly utilize these resources to help themselves and others.

We had this in high school also. It was called STUDY HALL.

Oral teachings = Sunday Teaching Services, aka STS

Written plublications = The Way Magazine, aka The Way Rag.

This is not research. This is going over stuff they've heard at least 20 times before they ever showed up at Gunnison. Repitition, for TWI, is good. It ensures they can regurtitate and spew it forth properly.

During these study times, the in-resident Way Corps learn to adeptly utilize these resources to help themselves and others.

OH NO!!! They are learning to MASTER the materials!! :blink:

(do they get to look at bibles too, or just these *resources*??)

...In searching out Word-based solutions, they utilized the Word taught in current Sunday Teaching Services and Way Magazine articles, on The Way International's Web site(www.theway.org), and in our ministry books, publications, and other oral teachings.

........hours of disciplined study into my life in that wonderful Household Comons Library..."

What ever happened to just ministering to that individual with the Bible? And what good are you doing folks by having your nose buried in a a research book?

GreasyTech - I totally agree. It's all slathered with a good dose of elitism, too. They re-hash something taught 30 years ago, then review the re-hash, make it into a yearly theme, and pretend it's the "Present Truth". They haven't had an original thought since the earth cooled.

The sad thing is that they don't rehash some of the interesting things - like Witness of the Stars, or any of Bullinger's or Tinsdale's works. No. It's all limited to what's been taught in the STS, the Way Mag, or was in a collateral. Some people are okay with this - some, who aren't in TWI anymore, and even post on this board with the rest of us heretics, think it's fine-and-dandy and will take you to task if you try to say anything contrary to what they think is right....

Whatever blows your skirt up, mate.

Sometime back in the nineties(I think around the time of the unveiling of WAP) we were told that teachings were going to be different. Since we need to build 'grooves' in our brains or something, there was going to be a lot of repitition.

The repitition is still happening. I guess brains are still not grooved!

Hmm Doesnt the quote go, "Choose your rut wisely, you may be there a while?"

Very appropriate I believe. I spent 20 years in my twi rut--never questioning, never looking at any "resources" other than twi publications, tapes and approved "research books"

So the Corpse gets to regurgitate all of the wonderful classes offered by twi AND now also has official study time for the collaterals as well. Oh goody!

Even their special Advanced Class Special on researching the Word only used the collaterals with a few stopovers in a concordance or lexicon that lined up exactly with what the collaterals were saying. There were SOO many REALLY bored people in that room!!

That's not a "Re-SEARCH" Dept,

that's a "Re-READ" and "Re-GURGITATE" Dept.

Then again,

as early as 1990, even some of the escapees were recommending

"Re-READ" over "Re-SEARCH", so this should come as no

surprise. The student is encouraged to NEVER touch REAL research

tools unless looking to legitimize the position already arrived at by

the group. In other words, what twi accused denominations of doing.

I guess technically it is researching....researching TWI materials.

No, it's reREADING.

In research, you get to take diverse sources,

and come up with new insights that DIVERGE from them.

In its crudest form, one might say that the discussions we

had analyzing the Blue Book and TW:LiL were research,

since we took sources and examined them and were free

to diverge when necessary.

I remember LCM hollering about most people "wouldn't know an original thought if it fell on them!", or something like that. I have also included a paragraph that states there is a study hall time as well.

"They call us 'brainwashers'? We got a nation of sheep! Brainwashees!

Most people wouldn't know an original thought if it fell on them!"

lcm was rather repetitive.

Comes from having limited INflow of information and ideas.

This limited his OUTflow.

Since he kept talking, that meant he was repetitive.

Since he was above improvement/refinement/correction,

that meant he was repetitively sloppy and unimproved, as well.

This quote is from Way Mag, March/April, 2006 form "The Prevailing Word Report: The In-Residence Way Corps - Preparing for a Lifetime of Christian Service".

"In the fall the students focused on series of study times called Ministry Resources Studies. The Way Ministry provides resources such as oral teachings and written publications that contain Biblical research and teaching. This research and teaching of God's Word helps people to understand and apply it. During these study times, the in-resident Way Corps learn to adeptly utilize these resources to help themselves and others.

Translation:

the tapes we already taught,

the books we already wrote,

the magazines we already wrote.

The student learns to use what we already taught/wrote.

It's called repetition.

The students were presented with hypothetical but common situations in which a Way Corps minister may be called upon to serve--situations such as someone requesting counsel concerning family, health, or prosperity. In searching out Word-based solutions, they utilized the Word taught in current Sunday Teaching Services and Way Magazine articles, on The Way International's Web site(www.theway.org), and in our ministry books, publications, and other oral teachings.

Translation:

He then has to take what we already taught/wrote and apply it

to hypothetical situations, showing he's sufficiently memorized

OUR approach to things so as to prevent a truly novel solution

we haven't vetted.

One student in the final year of training shares, "The Ministry Resources study times are not only inspiring me to dig deeper into the truths we have available right at our fingertips, but thery're also building my confidence in becoming a minister....."

"I'll be a better minister once I've memorized all their print materials!

I feel so blessed!"

WW,

I seem to recall re-searching being the definition supplied for research from my involvement during the '80s. As in "genuine research means re-searching the work already laid out for us by 'Dr' Wierwille."

I don't know if that's a figment of my flawed memory, but your post brought that memory back to light. If true, that would tend to explain the closed-mindedness of so many of VP's apologists (not naming any names, but thinking about the 280-page thread on PFAL that started up about a month ago down in the basement).

WW,

I seem to recall re-searching being the definition supplied for research from my involvement during the '80s. As in "genuine research means re-searching the work already laid out for us by 'Dr' Wierwille."

That would explain a lot.

Someone puts that forth in the corps or something, then the entire corps (as a body,

with exceptions of course) starts promulgating it as if this is what it actually means,

then I hear it when someone puts forth that INSTEAD of people researching,

they made a COUNTERoffer that they should be reading the collaterals instead.

As Raf put it at the time, it's the difference between "re-SEARCHING"

and "re-READING."

It also fits neatly into the package of "we don't really need to do anything

like thinking-vpw did all our thinking for us. Now we just need to regurgitate

and promulgate what HE taught."

Seriously, I do wonder if these Way Mag paragraphs explain what is being pawned off as allegedly TWI doing research again. I can't find the post, but someone still in stated that he/she had heard that TWI had again opened up research but wasn't sure specifically what kind of research was going on.

Mark, I KNOW I heard statements about re-searching VPW's works. Out of the same mouths would come, "But don't take my/our word for it. Make it your own." ....or something like that. (Make it your own as long as it agrees with our doctrine.) Other research books were utilized....but very limited from what I've seen of a couple other church libraries. I am by no means a research Geek...but I used to really enjoy word studies in limited amounts.

Maybe TWI could rename it "regurgch." :dance:

Maybe TWI could rename it "regurgch."

That certainly would be the more honest term to use. :biglaugh:

I remember constantly hearing that there's no need to "reinvent the wheel" - vee pee did all the hard work for us so we wouldn't have to wade through all those volumes of b.s. to find the little nuggets of truth that might be in there.

So I reckon "making it your own" really means "memorizing vee pee's words" so you can also use those same words.

...I seem to recall re-searching being the definition supplied for research from my involvement during the '80s. As in "genuine research means re-searching the work already laid out for us by 'Dr' Wierwille."

I don't know if that's a figment of my flawed memory, but your post brought that memory back to light. If true, that would tend to explain the closed-mindedness of so many of VP's apologists (not naming any names, but thinking about the 280-page thread on PFAL that started up about a month ago down in the basement).

That's no figment, Mark; the incorrect definition of "research" has been thrown around in the 80's and the 90's, it does not mean "to search again"; its another example of TWI's creating definitions out of the literal meanings of segments of words without regard to the actual meaning.

re·search

noun

Etymology: Middle French recerche, from recerchier to investigate thoroughly, from Old French, from re- + cerchier to search -- more at SEARCH

1 : careful or diligent search

2 : studious inquiry or examination; especially : investigation or experimentation aimed at the discovery and interpretation of facts, revision of accepted theories or laws in the light of new facts, or practical application of such new or revised theories or laws

3 : the collecting of information about a particular subject

verb

transitive senses

1 : to search or investigate exhaustively <research a problem>

2 : to do research for <research a book>

intransitive senses : to engage in research

- re·search·able /ri-'s&r-ch&-b&l, 'rE-"/ adjective

- re·search·er noun

Edited by Oakspear