GreaseSpot Cafe

Latter Day Saints Catechesis

I have a question. I was talking to a LDS folower who cam over to my house and he said that those that are married in thier temple are going to be married in heaven in basic terms. Didn't Jesus Christ get asked a simular question about the woman who married seven brothers? I thnk I remember something to that note. The elder that came to my home was a little shy because he just started his missions. I didn't want to be a as*ho(e so I change the subject. Can you explaine this eternal marraige to me?

Edited by rickyg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least polygamy makes adultery 'squeaky clean' for the Mormons. I don't believe it really matters anyway.

Why is it almost always the same half-dozen posters who post

and display an ignorance of the topic at hand?

TempleLady, please give an official citation on the subject

of polygamy.

Question:

What is the Church’s position on polygamy?

Answer:

In 1998, President Gordon B. Hinckley made the following statement about the Church's position on plural marriage:

"This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy. They are not members of this Church. . . . If any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose. Not only are those so involved in direct violation of the civil law, they are in violation of the law of this Church."

At various times, the Lord has commanded His people to practice plural marriage. For example, He gave this command to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David, and Solomon (D&C 132.1)In this dispensation, the Lord commanded some of the early Saints to practice plural marriage. The Prophet Joseph Smith and those closest to him, including Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, were challenged by this command, but they obeyed it. Church leaders regulated the practice. Those entering into it had to be authorized to do so, and the marriages had to be performed through the sealing power of the priesthood. In 1890, President Wilford Woodruff received a revelation that the leaders of the Church should cease teaching the practice of plural marriage (Official Declaration1)

OFFICIAL DECLARATION—1To Whom It May Concern:

Press dispatches having been sent for political purposes, from Salt Lake City, which have been widely published, to the effect that the Utah Commission, in their recent report to the Secretary of the Interior, allege that plural marriages are still being solemnized and that forty or more such marriages have been contracted in Utah since last June or during the past year, also that in public discourses the leaders of the Church have taught, encouraged and urged the continuance of the practice of polygamy—

I, therefore, as President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, do hereby, in the most solemn manner, declare that these charges are false. We are not teaching polygamy or plural marriage, nor permitting any person to enter into its practice, and I deny that either forty or any other number of plural marriages have during that period been solemnized in our Temples or in any other place in the Territory.

One case has been reported, in which the parties allege that the marriage was performed in the Endowment House, in Salt Lake City, in the Spring of 1889, but I have not been able to learn who performed the ceremony; whatever was done in this matter was without my knowledge. In consequence of this alleged occurrence the Endowment House was, by my instructions, taken down without delay.

Inasmuch as laws have been enacted by Congress forbidding plural marriages, which laws have been pronounced constitutional by the court of last resort, I hereby declare my intention to submit to those laws, and to use my influence with the members of the Church over which I preside to have them do likewise.

There is nothing in my teachings to the Church or in those of my associates, during the time specified, which can be reasonably construed to inculcate or encourage polygamy; and when any Elder of the Church has used language which appeared to convey any such teaching, he has been promptly reproved. And I now publicly declare that my advice to the Latter-day Saints is to refrain from contracting any marriage forbidden by the law of the land.

WILFORD WOODRUFF

President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

President Lorenzo Snow offered the following:

“I move that, recognizing Wilford Woodruff as the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the only man on the earth at the present time who holds the keys of the sealing ordinances, we consider him fully authorized by virtue of his position to issue the Manifesto which has been read in our hearing, and which is dated September 24th, 1890, and that as a Church in General Conference assembled, we accept his declaration concerning plural marriages as authoritative and binding.”

The vote to sustain the foregoing motion was unanimous.

Salt Lake City, Utah, October 6, 1890.

I have a question. I was talking to a LDS folower who cam over to my house and he said that those that are married in thier temple are going to be married in heaven in basic terms. Didn't Jesus Christ get asked a simular question about the woman who married seven brothers? I thnk I remember something to that note. The elder that came to my home was a little shy because he just started his missions. I didn't want to be a as*ho(e so I change the subject. Can you explaine this eternal marraige to me?

Eternal Marriage is correctly called Celestial Marriage.

Couples who are married in the Temple are sealed together for time and eternity. Couples so sealed will be together in the Celestial Kingdom, PROVIDED that both parties have led lives in keeping with the commandments of GOD. Another aspect of this doctrine is Families are sealed to each other so that in the Celestial kingdom, aunts, uncles, siblings, parents, grandparents etc will live and work together in family groups

As a side note, never be afraid to ask any missionary anything--especially the ones new to the mission field. How will they learn to be good missionaries, if no one asks them questions? If they don't have the answer you need, they will contact a senior companion or the mission president and get back to you with the information-- for 18-24 months this is their job, don't hesitate to ask them to do it :)

Edited by templelady

so now you're 'cursing' people Tom ?! What the Hey asked a legit. question.

Mo's reply (between the lines) (on behalf of LDS doctrine)...

LDS forbid polygamist marriages (except for leadership) who have the right to say who gets more than one wife.

LDS now do not practice poygamy (but only because the successive U.S. governments outlawed it) something moi pointed out in an earlier post.

LDS believe in eternal marriage in celestial (or was that terrestrial ?!) heaven. Totally contradicting what Jesus Christ said when asked the question.

Their prophet Mormon found some gold plates (their founding documents) and gave them to his son Moroni who added a cupla' things and then hid them again. Moroni then died but came back as a 'ressurected angel.'

Joseph Smith then had a bad trip..ooops..I mean 'vision' and saw Moroni in heaven.

Still ROTFLMAOTTGUBC (TRIED TO GET UP BUT COULDN'T)

Hey WW..I WAS actually born within 10 kilometers of a 'whorehouse'..43 years ago..about the time you were probably finishing your first shift !

Oh, he's just throwing insults and saying that to attempt to hide the

fact that tl posted official doctrine that says the OPPOSITE of what

he did, and that they haven't endorsed polygamy for

OVER A CENTURY,

Allan notwithstanding.

Allan either missed that, or has decided to disregard it and post

the opposite afterwards.

ALLEN I AM GOING TO SAY THIS ONE TIME AND ONE TIME ONLY

YOU WILL NOT DERAIL THIS THREAD WITH YOUR RANTINGS

ONE MORE TIME AND I WILL HAVED YOU BANNED

And WW and all of you, thank you butplease, At least here, ignore him

I don't want this a war zone, just a place where you can learn about my church if you want

I will say this, before I ignore Allan's comments, though.

Allan -- do you know what Catechesis means???

Catechesis

One entry found for catechesis.

Main Entry: cat·e·che·sis

Pronunciation: "ka-t&-'kE-s&s

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural cat·e·che·ses /-"sEz/

Etymology: Late Latin, from Greek katEchEsis, from katEchein to teach

: oral instruction of catechumens

- cat·e·chet·i·cal /-'ke-ti-k&l/ adjective

So -- by the very definitiion of the word in the title of this thread ---

This thread is for instruction. Instruction is always open for discussion,

but the debate (*flaming* really), that you've offered so far --

have hampered, rather than enhanced it.

Please desist. I've never hit the *report* button.

But if you continue, I will.

Mark (with whom I do not agree theologically) started this thread to learn,

Mo (with whom I do not agree theologically) is answering in civilized, competent replies.

Questions some of us have had about the Mormon faith are being answered.

Can you let us do so in peace??

Thanks! :)

Edited by dmiller

I would hope we could discuss the beliefs that each other hold (at least down here in the doctrinal basement) like adults.

It's better to ask an LDS follower to expound on his beliefs rather than to assume.

It's better to ask a TWI follower to expound on his beliefs rather than to assume.

It's better to ask a Southern Baptist to expound on his beliefs rather than to assume.

It's better to ask a Wiccan to expound on his beliefs rather than to assume.

It's better to ask a Catholic to expound on his beliefs rather than to assume.

It's better to ask a Marcionite to expound on his beliefs rather than to assume.

yada yada yada

Provided that the person to whom one directs his questions is actually knowledgeable on the applicable doctrine (rather than being the victim of improper teaching or superstition or folklore propounded through generational effects), one can get a fairly good datapoint upon which to make your judgements.

I have a far better understanding of LDS beliefs now than before this thread started (thanks Maureen). So it's been valuable.

I'm just sorry that some feel as if they have to attack constantly rather than to learn. It makes me wonder if they are not fully confident in their own beliefs and feel threatened when presented with an alternative. If an attacker was truly confident in his beliefs, he'd simply say "thanks for the explanation, not my cup of tea, but good luck..." and then positively present his own beliefs for the consideration of others. And let them make the adult decision to accept those beliefs or reject them.

Just off the bat I'd like to know if these facts are true (or false) regarding the Mormon Church:

1. Polygamy was lived openly in the Mormon Church from 1852-1890.

2. 5% (about 60,000 Mormons) are still polygamists.

3. Polygamists are excommunicated, but only if they are vocal about their polygamy.

4. The Mormon church still considers polygamist marriages to be valid even if the law does not.

5. Polygamy was banned by the Utah Constitution because they were coerced by the Federal government. (The Edmunds-Tucker act - the short answer to the question why Polygamy was banned. The Mormon church however only made a show of abandoning it in order to get statehood.)

6. 35% of Utahs population does not believe polygamists should be prosecuted according to a recent poll.

(The poll was taken in 1998 by the Salt Lake Tribune.)

This is an interesting read -> Polygamy FAQ's

The links at the bottom of the page might ruffle someone's feathers, i.e. the "Women Want Polygamy" link, which eventually led to this extra tidbit of info: Wilford Woodruff himself took another plural wife after issuing the manifesto (Lydia Mountford, San Francisco, CA, 1897).

I will readily admit I am not an expert on the LDS/Mormon Church (as if I really wanted to be). But after reading this I came to the conclusion that Polygamy is still practiced and is still OK within the Mormon "LDS" Church. Of course it probably helps if you don't label all the other relationships as a marriage - you just "live-together" and thereby avoid all the legal hot-labels, as this FAQ so eloquently put it.

Edited by What The Hey

60k... I'm pretty sure that's the number I heard as well...

I of course do not know for sure, but it does kind of seem like a "no we do not condone it" but then again it doesn't seem like they go looking for it either...

and I know that a lot of the polygamists do not call themselves "straight" LDS... they're always some 'offshoot'...

I don't really care if a man wants to have more than one wife... hey, if he's really that into pain/punishment who am I to object?... :)

1. Polygamy was lived openly in the Mormon Church from 1852-1890.

True
2. 5% (about 60,000 Mormons) are still polygamists.

First they aren't members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

One of the largest polygamist groups is the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They claim that they are still LDS but in actuality they are in direct violation of the 12th article of faith "WE believe in being subject to kings, presidents rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law" and in direct violation of 14 Presidents of the LDS church.

That is akin to a group forming and calling themselves the Really True Roman Catholic Church while ignoring the papacy for 200 years and denying part of the dogma of the Roman Catholic Church

Just 'cause you put the name in the title doesn't mean you are

And then there are all the other groups whose affiliation with THE LDS church is equally bogus, often just a cover for sexual wantonness, the fact is the only reason any of them claim to be "Mormon" is to try to give a religious slant to their willful violation of both civil and church law.. which works really well for them they are" the Poor Persecuted "true Church"" and True LDS have to spend time explaining their conduct--

IMO it's way past time for them to quit claiming LDS affiliation and just stand up and say "we want to be polygamists" and be done with it.

3. Polygamists are excommunicated, but only if they are vocal about their polygamy.
Those who still attend LDS services are aware they will be excommunicated if "outed" they go to great lengths to hide their secret. Each wife has her own house for her and her children, often they go so far as to be in different states or towns. Since only the first wife is the one with the marriage license, and the children are trained to keep the secret from their earliest years it takes major slip or someone from in the family for it to come to light.

Think about your own experiences

what would you think if you ran into a friend from your church at an amusement park with his wife and kids, and another woman and her kids, would you think Polygamy or would you just figure the other woman was a friend of the family?

4. The Mormon church still considers polygamist marriages to be valid even if the law does not.

True for marriages performed when polygamy was still legal

Not true for marriages after the church outlawed them

A man in this life can be sealed to his wife and children. Say she dies in a car accident and he remarries. He can be sealed to his second wife and the children of that marriage also. In the Celestial kingdom they will all live as one family. The church views polygamy as an eternal principle that will lived by some n the Celestial Kingdom.

5. Polygamy was banned by the Utah Constitution because they were coerced by the Federal government. (The Edmunds-Tucker act - the short answer to the question why Polygamy was banned.
True
The Mormon church however only made a show of abandoning it in order to get statehood.)

Not true, When the Prophet of the church speaks religious doctrine it is binding all all members of the church. In these situations our Prophet is speaking for God. In order for it to have "only been a show" God would have had to be duplicitous " an impossibility

6. 35% of Utahs population does not believe polygamists should be prosecuted according to a recent poll.

Was that segment of the population all LDS. A mix of LDS And non LDS. A mix of LDS and polygamists, or a mix of everybody?

Even if everyone polled was LDS that still means 65% think it should be

Edited by templelady

What the Hey

I went to the page you referenced and would like to respond to some of the other statements made there

Mormon doctrine states that in order to enter the highest heaven that those who enter must be living in polygamy.
IN order to enter the highest degree of the Celestial Kingdom you must have been sealed to your spouse in an LDS temple and live a worthy life. That is LDS doctrine

it is FLDS doctrine that states it has to be a polygamist marriage

Mormon doctrine also states that we believe in being subject to the laws of the land, insofar as those laws protect individual rights.

12th article of faith "WE believe in being subject to kings, presidents rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law

'insofar as those laws protect individual rights' isn't in the LDS Articles of Faith

BUt has been added to the articles of faith of the FLDS church

The LDS prophet John Taylor was visited by Joseph Smith and commanded to ordain apostles outside of the normal chain of command in the church, and commissioned them to carry on the practice of polygamy, even after the church abandoned it. So the practice continues among those who feel that it is more important to obey God than it is to obey the government. These folks are called Mormon Fundamentalists.

Even when the LDS Church practiced polygamy there were those who practiced it WITHOUT the blessing of The Church ( if you go back to where I posted on Polygamy the first time you will see where the endowment house was torn down because it was found out that people were getting "sealed" without the authority of the Presidency of The Church. Clearly someone who would enter a polygamous union without the blessing of The Church would not abandon said union because The Church outlawed it. And that is when the above "justification" appeared.

THe FLDS are FLDS

LDS are LDS

it's as simple as that

Mo, you are one classy lady! :love3:

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading this stuff about your church. My best friend and next door neighbor in middle school & jr. high was Mormon. We never talked about the actual religion much, but I did LOVE it when the elders came over to visit - we'd play pool and Yahtzee and other game with them.

Thank you for your patience and willingness to share.

My dad was sealed to his first wife. After she passed away, and he married my mom, he pestered her to get sealed in the church with him, so they could be together in the afterlife....

Her response....

"There won't be room enough in heaven for the two of us!"

(In otherwords - she can have you and you'll have enough trouble with one woman!)

===================

Additionally.... now that's I'm home 90% of the time with the kids, I think about how good hubby has it - the house is clean, the kids are cared for, supper is on the table by 6PM (usually), and the laundry is done (usually) and I say to him, "Man, I need a wife!"

Another woman in the house wouldn't be bad... especially if she'll change Dre's diapers! LOL! :biglaugh:

===================

And Mo - Why are Elders always so CUTE! ?? I used to love it when they'd come to visit too! :wink2:

Q: Leadership in LDS seem to get a lot of visits from spirit beings ?

I'm sorry Allen, I don't understand the question

Are you asking

do I believe in Visitations by spirits in General?

Yes

Do I believe in Joseph Smith's First Vision?

Yes, Or I wouldn't Belong to the Church

Have I ever been visited by a spirit form the Other side?

yes

DO I believe that the Prophets of the church have been visited by spirits or received direct communication from God?

yes

Does this answer the question?

Edited by templelady