GreaseSpot Cafe

To CKMkeon (and other Wierwille defenders), an Open Letter

Zixar

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And again, all religions have their nitpicks and rationalizations...
--Easily provoked to argument should someone challenge the belief in Nogod.

QED. :)

If I was being indirectly addressed here

A)I'm not an atheist

B)Stating one's case and clarifying definitions isn't nitpicking and rationalizing

If I wasn't being addressed....then never mind :biglaugh:

Some within both the religious and the atheist camps insist that the other group conform to their own definitions: atheists refuting a version of god that the Christians don't subscribe to and Chrsitians insisting that any belief or opinion is a religion.

While I disagree that atheism is necessarily a religion, I would agree that some atheists hold to the belief that there is no god with the same tenacity and refusal to reason as religious folk often do. You'll find the same single-minded tunnel vision and blindness to opposing evidence among followers of political parties as well.

atheism does not claim that it is the "belief that has no beliefs", but the belief that there is no God, or the opinion that the evidence does not support belief in God.

Actually, Oaks, I think the latter is a better definition of agnosticism (except I would add that it neither supports nor discounts the existence of God, according to the definition).

Atheism would state that the evidence DOES support a belief in Nogod. (I like that. :)) The atheist belief is a conclusion, while the agnostic belief leaves the question open.

Actually, Oaks, I think the latter is a better definition of agnosticism (except I would add that it neither supports nor discounts the existence of God, according to the definition).

Atheism would state that the evidence DOES support a belief in Nogod. (I like that. :)) The atheist belief is a conclusion, while the agnostic belief leaves the question open.

True, atheists see divine nonexistance as a conclusion. Some, do come to this conclusion primarily due to absence of evidence, while others come to this conclusion based on what they consider evidence of absence. My point was mainly addressing the position that atheisim is a lack of belief, like Wierwille's incorrect definition of atheism in PFAL (they don't believe, but they believe that they don't believe, therefore they believe... :blink: )