GreaseSpot Cafe

Rome City Campus Update

Happyasaclam

Just ran across this info - it seems that there was an "apparition" of "Our Lady of America" in the chapel years ago. Now the RC church wants the property back so millions of people can come and visit. It seems fitting, in a way.

Hope this hyperlink works ..

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?SESSIONID=&aId=11942

Clam

Edited by Happyasaclam

Somebody better warn that poor Lady to watch out for certain people - or she might lose her title - - definitely don't drink the Kool Aid...That link worked for me - thanks for sharing that, Happyasaclam!

Omygoodness, Clam, I didn't know anything about there being visions of the Virgin Mary on that property! No surprise that TWI didn't want us knowing that part of the history.

Physical and spiritual healings, attributed to Our Lady of America, have been reported by numerous Rome City pilgrims seeking cures through devotional prayer in either of the two chapels on the property and drinking of the spring waters that flow from the hillside.
The only "cures" I know due to drinking involved George Jess's wine cellar!

:blink: :D

Shaz

There was a statue there when they bought the place....probably stowed away someplace too...it was behind bars on one of the paths. You know the place was also a landfill? Soggy in parts because of the springs...but that also made things "come up" from the landfill and we had to go around and collect the "junk" that arose.

This just makes me smile, and offers some sense of resolution. To think that this place might someday be a "shrine" to the religion most often reviled by TWI ... well, what could be more appropriate?

"Physical and spiritual healings, attributed to Our Lady of America, have been reported by numerous Rome City pilgrims seeking cures through devotional prayer in either of the two chapels on the property and drinking of the spring waters that flow from the hillside. These events are being documented and will be presented to Church officials to help determine if any miracles have occurred which could hasten the final confirmation process.

Based on its central Northeast Indiana location and proximity to major highways, OLTIV estimates the shrine, once completed, could attract more than 2 million American visitors each year."

I wonder if the "Church" would like me to document my experiences at this location ... Like the time I was screamed at (top of the lungs screaming) by an ordained minister in the chapel. And, BTW, where is the second chapel? I only remember one. Is there a hidden chapel somewhere? Maybe it was somewhere down "Mystery Hall."

And the waters that flow from the hillside never seemed like anything that I would want to drink. I do remember the grounds department taking a great deal of effort to hide evidence of the 12 grottos that once housed the 12 stations of the cross along the hillside. It seems that removing the 12 statues was not enough, they wanted to erase all evidence that the grottos were ever there. Now, the RC Church might have to reestablish the 12 grottos, and the nuns' names over their archway doors, the cross. And OMG - the chapel will have to be completely restored. I wonder if "Bob the Bass" is still in the pond.

Clam

I only remember one chapel as well.

But the spring water they are talking about was pumped into the water fountain at one end of the building, and it was pretty good. We would all stand in line and fill up our water bottles from that fountain every day. There was another spigot (I forget where) that was tapped into the spring water, but they were the only two.

I wonder what the current property owner has to say about all this? Would he have a choice about selling? Would the church have to offer him fair compensation? (please excuse my ignorance)

I did not know about the landfill. Where did you get that info, SOGWAP and what kind of stuff did you have to dispose of? Nevermind, maybe I don't want to know.

And I had forgotten about the water fountain in the entryway, Bug. You are right, now that you mention it. I remember filling water bottles at that fountain. I cannot remember any miracles happening as a result, however.

I wonder if the current owner can extract a premium on the price, seeing as there has evidently been some extraordinary apparitions there. But will a bank loan on the value of an apparition?

Then again, 2 million people a year visiting the Rome City Campus ... now that can generate some income!