GreaseSpot Cafe

Amster-Amster-dam-dam-DAM

Hope R.

Hmm, I thought it was another boy named Peter who fictionally plugged the dike with his finger, and the story was related in the book Hans Brinker/ Silver Skates, but was not Hans himself. I dunno, it's been nearly 40 years since I read the book. I do remember seeing one of the statues, back in 1960, but did not relate this to Brinker.

Other than that, I remember glass bottom boats tours, and enjoying a fabulous display of miniature building replicas of famous buildings from throughout the Netherlands or Europe, not sure which. I have a pic of my sis and I there, about 9 years old at the time. How much more would you expect me to remember? LOL

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

Hey everyone -

Liked Amsterdam a lot - absolutely LOVED Haarlem - it's just a smaller, kinder & gentler version of Amsterdam. My sister's breast cancer survivor group coverged here - about 10 of them who post on a forum much like this one. One of the women lives here and has been just wonderful about showing us around - the weather was much better here than we had in Amsterdam, as well.

The World Cup is INSANE here - OMG - more enthusiasm for any SuperBowl or World Series I've ever seen.

Leaving for Brugges in about 15 minutes - waiting for the cab in the hotel lobby.

Will post more when I get home next weekend ---

thanks for the advice...

Hope

PS I had the BEST Indonesian food I've ever had (not that I've had that much - but it was amazing). The Chinese was okay - but I've had better in NYC. Been eating a lot of bread and cheese.

Hello America!

It's good to be home again...

Got back last Friday night. The flight from NY to Tampa felt longer than the flight from Brussels to New York!

It was a good trip - a bit too long for me - I missed John and the kids terribly and felt they should be there to share it all with me.

Ex10 - I hate to say it - but Brugges was very Disney-esque to me. Very sterile and quiet - almost too quiet after Amsterdam and Haarlem. The inner city caters to the tourist trade - lace shops, chocolate shops, tapestry shops, horse and buggy rides, canal tours, etc. I couldn't get a feel for the place.

One night, my sister and I walked along a beautiful canal with homes on either side. It was dusk (which was about 10:30 at night), and we didn't see another soul and only a few of those tall, step-gabled homes had lights on in the windows. It was as if aliens had come and abducted everyone but us!

In Amsterdam and Haarlem - there was always something going on - even after the stores closed. Cafes and coffee shops with tons of locals and tourists watching the World Cup, or street musicians, people out on their bicycles -- really lively -- especially in Haarlem - which to me was a miniature version of Amsterdam!

But - Brugges had a couple of wonderful, old churches to see. We also went on a typical tourist trip for a day called "Triple Treat - Chocolate, Waffles and Beer", which took us into the outskirts of the city and into Damme and through some other quaint little towns. Then we went to a restaurant to eat Belgian Waffles, a chocolate store that did a chocolate making demo (with the opportunity to purchase the products, of course!). It ended up in a tavern where we had a lecture about Belgian beer and got to taste about 5 of them.

It was very interesting being in Europe while the World Cup was going on. I don't think we "get" it here. It really is a world event. I mean -- Togo has a team... and Saudi Arabia! Someone said (fondly) that we Americans had a lot of nerve calling our baseball championship the "World" Series when it really only involves the US and Canada! The World Cup has more countries participating than the Olympics. Soccer (the true football) is THE game there. The day we arrived in Amsterdam, the Netherlands had won their match the night before. The city was draped in orange (the team color). Every night in the square, people gathered around big-screen TV's in the restaurants to watch the games. Most of us don't have a clue about the immensity of the World Cup. It was on 5 stations in 5 different languages on the TV in our hotel!

I never saw an SUV or Pick-up truck - just bicycles and very small cars. (I want a Smart Car!!!!!!)

I think I have a different view of the world now - it's hard to explain. I think Americans tend to be so ethnocentric (if that's the right word) and don't want to see too far beyond their borders. I read an article that said that only 30% of Americans had passports. Heck - I'm 51 and just got my first one!

All in all it was a nice trip, but next time - the whole family goes -- hopefully to Italy.

Hope

Welcome back! and so glad you had a good time. I get what you mean about the World Cup. Joelle and I were in Munich just a few days before it started. It was insane how worked up everyone was.

And in England before that, ohmigosh. In fact, I came home with about 6 "England Forever" t-shirts for my kids given to me by various friends and pedestrians! Every Pub we went into was abuzz with football talk. And there were groups of people from different clubs all over Victoria Station when we arrived in London, cheering, yelling, and just generally being pretty obnoxious.

I even heard the same comment from someone, about the arrogance of Americans to call the baseball playoffs the "World Series."

England plays again on Saturday. I really hope they win.

I'm surprised you found Brugges disappointing. But to each his own, I guess. My grandfather's family was from there, and I found it interesting to see where he and his family emigrated from. And also, I met some very dear friends there, who were from Brussels, so I had excellent company for seeing the sights. So I actually enjoyed the quieter atmosphere.

We didn't really do anything too touristy there. I think it makes a big difference traveling to Europe to visit friends who live there, rather than going strictly as a tourist. When I go and stay with friends, I really get a taste of what it's like to live there. That's why I took my daughter, who is 18 and just finished her first year at Texas A&M, along with me this time. She had never been out of the country before, and I wanted her to have a taste of the different cultures there. It was an eye opening trip for her in many ways. Especially in Munich, where she hung out with a bunch of kids her age that had already finished their schooling and were out working in the "real world."

She also is interested in the study abroad program at A&M, so I wanted her to get a glimpse of what it would be like. The only problem is now, next summer I have to take my next daughter who wasn't able to join us this year. And then the next child will have a turn....... :B)

I'm glad you had a good trip, Hope. :D