GreaseSpot Cafe

Amster-Amster-dam-dam-DAM

Hope R.

Hi everyone!

I'm travelling to Europe for the first time in about 10 days. My sister invited me to go to her annual IAFMHS Convention which is in Amsterdam this year. We'll be there for 5 days. From there we're going to Haarlem to meet with some of the women in her breast cancer survivors group who are from the surrounding countries. After that we go to Brugges, Belgium - which looks really beautiful. We end up leaving from Brussels. We have a rail pass that's good for 5 trips and are figuring out some of the side trips as we go along. I thought about going to Calais from Brugges (it's only about an hour). I don't want to try to cram too much into the trip - but want to see as much as I can without getting in a frenzy! (remember the movie "If It's Tuesday, this must be Belgium"?)

Anyway - I need some advice from you seasoned travellers... any tips on how to NOT look like a tourist (like NO fannie packs!), or anything you may have learned from going far away from home. I opened a gmail account so I can communicate with family & friends from internet cafes.

I'm a bit anxious - leaving John with the kids for 2 weeks (they're old enough to take care of themselves - it's HIM I'm worried about!). I've also never flown that far for that long. I'm not a good flyer either - and consider air travel a necessary evil.

It should be a wonderful experience. I realized I haven't spent two weeks alone with my sister since we were kids - and she's an amazing person!

So - any tips?

Thanks

xoxox

Edited by Hope R.

Last time I was in Amsterdam was 1990, so some of the information may be a bit dated...When I lived in Germany, I'd go up there with some buddies every couple of months to party a weekend away. Loved the place!

You are a tourist...get over it, that's just the way it is. The way you walk, the way you talk, the way you dress...

Be careful around the Central Station, lots of pickpockets around there. Also a lot of folks trying to sell you "stuff."

Lots of fun things to see and do in the Red Light. My wife and I toured "the museum" and we also took in a show.

Window shopping takes on a whole new meaning over there. Be forewarned.

Plenty to drink (Heineken factory there), plenty to see (take a canal tour), plenty of folks to meet (most of the locals I met in my ventures there were very friendly...but that was before the Iraq war, so things may have changed), plenty of ways to get ripped off.

The diamond merchants are also VERY interesting to visit. You can learn more about diamonds in an hour there than you are likely ever to learn otherwise in your life.

The public transport around the area is very good and effective and cheap.

I have ventured into the Brown Cafes...seemed most of the people visiting them were tourist druggies from England (but that may have just been my opinion).

Best Chinese food I have EVER EVER EVER had in my entire life...and I've eaten Chinese in more countries than I care to think about...was in the Asian quarter, a couple of blocks beyond the Red Light. I had (don't know if it's there anymore) a particular favorite place that was a dive...long tables with metal tops, flourescent lights, etc....no ambience at all...but the food was INCREDIBLE, cheap, and huge portions.

Try staying in local hotels on your trip. Rather than the Holiday Inn, Hilton, etc. You get some better local flavor that way (get a 3 star or better so you get a private bath).

If you are going to hit the beach and do so in the style of the many of the locals, hit a tanning booth first...so the superfluous tan lines aren't so obvious. (REAL good way to spot Americans)

Remember, what goes on in Amsterdam, stays in Amsterdam.

Oh, one other thing. With Belgium, based on my experience, the beer is much better. The locals aren't. Again, just going on my memories.

Day trips: Cologne Germany and Normandy are where I'd suggest. About 2-3 hours (IIRC) by express train.

Remember, what goes on in Amsterdam, stays in Amsterdam.

Mark it sounds like you've had a good time many place! :dance:

A word of caution Hope... if you didn't already know... the only 'thing' that may stick with you after a complete 'coffee house' visit is the THC. It can take 3 - 21 days for it to completly leave one's system, and that's after having just a little bit.

YES: private use and cultivation of marijuana leaf IS free in the Netherlands. BUT the law says, however, that you can be prosecuted, and condemned to 1 month of jail, if you "possess" up to 30 grams of marijuana. In practise, if you possess an sell less than 5 grams you are not prosecuted. :redface2: oh... that is if you were going to have some fun... I mean do that :wave:

Funny Quote from a recent visitor:

Don't buy nothing on the streets. Don't smoke in pubblic. Don't do any .... like singing/screaming, smashing bottles, urinating in the streets, etc...

Holland policemans are really strict and they won't tolerate vandalism of any kind.

:biglaugh: THC in the system during this writing...?

Mark it sounds like you've had a good time many place! :dance:

I've had a whole bunch of fun in a whole bunch of places. But don't take my earlier post the wrong way. I've never visited Amsterdam as a civilian...I was always subject to Operation Golden Flow :blink: ... so don't think that I sampled anything stronger than an Amstel in a Brown Cafe.

Just want to make sure there aren't any misunderstandings there or anything... :biglaugh:

Mark,

Re:"... so don't think that I sampled anything stronger than an Amstel in a Brown Cafe."

So.. was that decision based on personal preference or duty to a higher calling? Had I visited Amsterdam in the early 70's, I have no doubt I would have sampled all the drugs that were availaible though I was a staunch TWI believer at the time. Even then, though, I doubt I would have sampled the offerings in the windows. Today?? If I were to visit Amsterdam, I would be looking for the best restaurants and fine museums.

sudo

Mark,

Re:"... so don't think that I sampled anything stronger than an Amstel in a Brown Cafe."

So.. was that decision based on personal preference or duty to a higher calling? Had I visited Amsterdam in the early 70's, I have no doubt I would have sampled all the drugs that were availaible though I was a staunch TWI believer at the time. Even then, though, I doubt I would have sampled the offerings in the windows. Today?? If I were to visit Amsterdam, I would be looking for the best restaurants and fine museums.

sudo

Frankly, at that time in my life, I believe it was the encouragement of the potential consequences if caught. As with you, if I was to go today, it would not be of interest if offered. But that's just me. Not placing my judgement on anybody else's personal decisions.

Thank you!

Mark -- I've heard about the pick-pockets and the "window shopping" in the red light district!! :redface2:

I'm looking forward to the coffee houses and their fare, but don't want to over indulge - just want to say I did it! I don't have to worry about getting tested once I get home! :spy:

The Lonely Planet comments that Amsterdam is the dog sh!t capitol of the world and that after a while one learns to look down when walking!

We're staying at the Schiller Hotel - it looks great and the reviews were terrific. We're also staying in local hotels in the other places we're going.

Thanks so much for the tip on the Chinese food! I thought I was going to be stuck with herring (ugh).

They're celebrating Rembrandt's 400th birthday this year - and I think the final week of the celebration is while we're there.

I also plan on going to the Anne Frank house - I don't think the trip would be complete without it.

Thank you!

Mark -- I've heard about the pick-pockets and the "window shopping" in the red light district!! :redface2:

I'm looking forward to the coffee houses and their fare, but don't want to over indulge - just want to say I did it! I don't have to worry about getting tested once I get home! :spy:

The Lonely Planet comments that Amsterdam is the dog sh!t capitol of the world and that after a while one learns to look down when walking!

We're staying at the Schiller Hotel - it looks great and the reviews were terrific. We're also staying in local hotels in the other places we're going.

Thanks so much for the tip on the Chinese food! I thought I was going to be stuck with herring (ugh).

They're celebrating Rembrandt's 400th birthday this year - and I think the final week of the celebration is while we're there.

I also plan on going to the Anne Frank house - I don't think the trip would be complete without it.

There are plenty of restaurants in Amsterdam. A lot of Italian there also (as there are throughout Europe). Good doner kebab sandwiches also.

Herring?

In Germany, you can get some good kick-butt herring sandwiches. Never ate herring in the Netherlands, though. And pickled herring and akavit are good companions...when you're in Denmark or in Greenland...but not the Netherlands....

The lines at the Rembrandt museum are horrible (at least they were when I visited).

Agreed on the Anne Frank house. Well worth the visit.

Amsterdam is a great place. I recommend a good bus tour early on. Find one that piques for interest and just go. Then note what you want to go back and see more of. If you love museums, the Rijks Museum is an absolute must. And go see the countryside. It's beautiful.

Personally I hate the red light district. They should have put it in the warehouse district. Instead they filled all those lovely old buildings with tacky neon and sample whores. Yuck.

You'll love the coffee & the food. Find a cafe to sit and watch folks. if you're feeling athletic, jump on one of the "community" bicycles and go exploring. When you're done, just leave the bike in a public rack. Somebody else will use it. What a cool concept!

Enjoy!

While you are in Haarlem, if you have time, it might be fun to see the old "Beje"-the home of Corrie Ten Boom and her family. If you are familiar with the story, it might be something to see. Supposedly it's just a block or so from the town square-I'm sure the locals will point it out.

House in Haarlem

I've never posted a link before, so I hope this works....

Have a great time!

Great link - which led me to some other really good sites as well - thanks.

And... I have to do this....

Corrie Ten Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom!!!! :evilshades:

Edited by Hope R.

Oh geeze, Hope

I just got back this week from 3 weeks in Europe with my oldest daughter. We had a total blast. My advice is to mingle with the natives as much as possible. I always like to see a place through the back door, which only happens if I can manage a local connection.

The Van Gogh Museum in AMS is a must see.

Anyway, I envy you going to Brugges. It is my absolute favorite place I've been in Europe. I stayed at the Duc de Bourgogne Hotel, which is where the Eoropeans stay, not a touristy place. The Hotel restaurant is world class, but expensive. A great place for a splurge. Do a google on it. You must eat mussels and frites and sample as much of the Belgian beer as you can handle. Hiccup!

Brussels is amazing too. The chocolate is fabulous as are the tapestries. There are several wonderful tapestry shops off the Grand Place, and you can even purchase something and have them ship it home for you, so you don't have to carry it around. The lace too, is extraordinary.

Have a blast, Hope! There is so much more I can share. PM me if you want.

A word of caution Hope... if you didn't already know... the only 'thing' that may stick with you after a complete 'coffee house' visit is the THC. It can take 3 - 21 days for it to completly leave one's system, and that's after having just a little bit.

Just another word of caution, while the test is not widely available, hair analysis can detect illegal drug presence for a few months afterwards. This means you don't even have to have partaken in the substance for it to be detected.

Dearest Hope

My wish and prayer for you on this trip is that you enjoy with wild abandon what lies in wait for you! Whatever it may be.

It's a once in a lifetime experience that may not come around again. And I hope and pray that you enjoy every second of your time. John and kids will be fine, and better off for your time there. You will have so much more to give them when you get back, because you will be so full.

Love you dearest

T

Hope..I'm sooo jealous!!!!

Amsterdam...you can smoke alot of pot there, if you're into that sort of thing.

I just returned from a month of backpacking in New Zealand.

How to not look like a tourist: figure out what is Amsterdamian, and then blend in.

1- Don't shop til you drop...that's a #1 tip you're an American.

2- When in ______________ do what the ____________ do. Take your cues from them.

Oops...gotta get to work....

Have a blast!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm HERE!

And what a lovely city! It's lively and laid back at the same time.

And it's HOT - omg - unseasonably HOT!

Have a lot more to do, only got here at 7:00 Monday morning and had to decompress from the jet-lag. We're shopping now for some stuff for John and the Kids.

My sister's conference starts tomorrow so I'll see another part of the city we haven't been to yet.

Going out for Chinese tonight --- I'll let you know if we find your restaurant.

Love to all ---

Hey Wackster - goot to "see" you to!

xoxoxox

Chinese??????? Eating Chinese??????

Hope....NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Eat Amsterdamian, whatever that could possibly be!!!!!

Shopping???? Are you shopping til you're dropping (and I've seen you shop :wink2: ) What items do they make there, or is everything imported from China?

So, have you gone to any museums yet?

Isn't there a dam there that a little boy stuck his finger in to save the city? or is that somewhere else?

Great to hear from you!!!!! Have a super fantastic time....

What's it like being "single" again? :spy:

It's an old folklore oft-repeated but never proved-and, according to lore, it happened in Haarlem. To please Americans who always want to know where Hans Brinker saved the dam, the Dutch (God bless them) have set up many statues around the town like this one.

hansbrinker1.jpg

"Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates" was one of my favorite childhood books.

Have a great time, Hope!