GreaseSpot Cafe

Big Brother is Making Sure your Windows are properly Dressed

Abigail

I dunno if this is just plain silly or completely outrageous.

Story Here

The City Council in the Cleveland suburb of Euclid has passed a law requiring residents to have proper window treatments that also must be hung properly. People are no longer allowed to cover their windows with blankets, garbage bags or insulation.

Violators will receive warnings and could face up to six months in jail and a one-thousand-dollar fine.

Sorry to say that this is common.

We fought off such code requirements in Topeka, but now that we're gone, the city council is back at it again.

Remember the BTK killer? He was a Code Compliance person in Wichita, KS.

Most of the Code Compliance people are your normal 'public servants'...but those who are just plain wicked often rule the day.

I read in one of Corrie Ten Boom's books that the first actions against citizens that the Nazis took was to arrest them for Code Violations.

I believe it. Read your city codes sometime. You may find out that curtains are the least of your worries.

Well, it sounds like the city will look nicer anyway... :rolleyes:

If people can accomplish this for aesthetics’ sake, why can't something MORE effective be done about REAL criminals?!

Sounds like working to make everything look nice on the outside, while it's still rotten on the inside...

In New Knoxville the law requires Red Drapes on the windows- anything else is unbelievable.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

You mean to say...if I hang a "nice" towel, maybe red, over a window in the house that I paid for and own...I could go to jail?

...Doesn't sound like America, land of the free...does it?

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

You mean to say...if I hang a "nice" towel, maybe red, over a window in the house that I paid for and own...I could go to jail?

...Doesn't sound like America, land of the free...does it?

Sure doesn't Groucho!

Seems Euclid's residents are fairly young... the average age is 38.

Sounding like a 'yuppie-ville'...

There are MANY subdivisions like this in Las Vegas! The association rules are obeyed, or you'll be fined.

The last one we lived in there, ANY additional tree, plant, decoration you wanted to place in your yard, had to be approved FIRST by the ASSociation. If you put a tree in your yard that wasn't approved, you had to remove it, and if you didn't THEY would remove it and CHARGE YOU FOR THEIR LABOR!

Another funny was, your garage door COULD ONLY BE OPEN if you were present. If you were cutting the grass in the back yard, and were away from the open garage door for more than 15 min, you would be fined. Also, garbage cans HAD to be out of sight! If you left yours out over night, you would be fined.

There were only certain approved COLORS for homes allowed, and ANY outbuilding or play equipment, after being approved, NEEDED TO MATCH the house! They even had rules as to WHERE your play equipment could go. Seems after paying $400,000 for a tiny 1400sqft house on an 1/8 of an acre… you could have a little more freedom~ :unsure:

They actually had people DRIVING around EVERYDAY checking! (and not just DRIVING by... they'd get out and look over your BACK WALL!) If you were found to be in violation of any such rules... and there were LOTS of rules... pages of them... you'd get a letter in the mail RIGHT AWAY!

If you're thinking you'd like some of this... take a look:

http://www.summerlink.com/index.html

It's under Associations/Council/Governing Documents :confused:

Edited by SafariVista