GreaseSpot Cafe

Ever Run Into Other Ex-Wayfers?

Oakspear

A regular customer approached me today and asked me if I was a PFAL grad. He's been coming into my store for several years, and he's always looked familiar.

His wife had been in my twig back in 1981; he had not been active at the time. He got back involved in 1983, just when I was leaving the first time. He left after the demand for loyalty by Loy, I got back in in 1990.

We chatted a little bit, he was completely ignorant of anything that happened after he left

The store's plumber was also in TWI when I was.

Every time I see a window washer, I'm sure that he's ex-Way :dance:

Every time I see a window washer, I'm sure that he's ex-Way :dance:

Oak, are you sure they're EX Way???

I wouldn't know if I ran into any or not... it's not like they wear around T-shirts... oh wait! I wear my GSC T-shirt around all the time, but I've not been approached... (I guess I don't hang around the same places as the other ex-TWI)

Oak, are you sure they're EX Way???
the active wayfers were a pitifully small group here in Nebraska when I left in 2001. I think I'd know the innies.

At the time of POP there were several wayfers with window washing companies, one at least was doing an offshoot twig at least up through the late 90's

Run into ex-wafers all the time, and it's usually a wonderful experience. Twi was full of a lot of great folks, and I love seeing them again. Hope to see some of my old NC chums when I visit next week. That would be the icing on the cake for a great trip.

Ever Run Into Other Ex-Wayfers?

Yes. Yes I have. Not many left up here in Northern Minney-soda, but there are a few.

I ran into some ex-wafers, at a Baptist church I decided to attend one Sunday.

I ran into a couple more at a Vineyard fellowship, several years ago.

I got a phone call from an ex-way lady (retired, and living 25 miles from here),

cause she saw my posts here on GreaseSpot, and wanted to know if it was *safe*

for her daughter to get involved with twi.

And heres another one too---

This happened about 10 years ago (ancient history - I know), but relevant to this here.

I was doing deliveries (my job at the time), and while unloading the van,

and a familiar looking person was walking my way.

I looked at him, and he looked at me, and I realized he was someone

that had taken the class about 10 years previous to that. :blink:

He walked right up to me and said ----

"Soooooo. How is the F***** WAY OF WIERWILLE doing these days???

I told him that twi was (for the most part) toast.

I've never seen a bigger grin on anyone's face, than I did that day.

Edited by dmiller

Yep. I moved to western New York about 4 years ago and took a job at a large IT reseller which employs over 1200 people at this location. After having worked there for about 6 months I saw a very familiar face in the cafeteria. Turns out this woman was visiting her husband for lunch we had worked together at HQ about 18 years before. It was great!

lo l

How funny is That? What is up with that?

window washers and house cleaners... haha it is the truth . made my day.

I wonder if it isnt to avoid paying taxes you make a little something extra under the table as well as being able to be late or show up when it is good for you around the ministrys schedule.

I think it was more that you could not be tied down to a job so at a moments notice you could go over 3 or 4 states to see v p run his mouth. If you had a regular job 10 vacation times might not work. Or God forbid 2 weeks at a time in the old corn field exspected to wear a 3 piece suite out of a pup tent.

Or God forbid 2 weeks at a time in the old corn field exspected to wear a 3 piece suite out of a pup tent.

I'm laughing here. Wasn't that completely ridiculous?

My mom and dad came to visit me when I was on Staff. It was August--the best time for humidity and all. I talked my dad in to attending the STS, but I told him he HAD to at least wear a tie. He said NO!!!! He went to the STS looking out of place. I was embarrassed because he stuck out like a sore thumb. I laugh about it today though. BTW, that STS convinced my parents LCM REALLY IS A FREAKIN' LUNATIC!!!!

How about wearing a long dress TWO TIMES A DAY FOR TWO WEEKS out of a tent? That's what Living Victorious (1982) was like for me and some friends ... fortunately, several of my buddies had managed to buy a ten-person-you-can-stand-up-in-it tent for $50 (at a NC yard sale) that we used for Way stuff for over 10 years till it finally rotted ... but geez! How inconsiderate of the top dogs to not consider the conditions under which people had to get ready? Yes, we did it ... but we took those long dresses off just as soon as the thing was over and put on shorts ... and wore the same dresses over and over for two weeks...

Dog Lover

But no lover of tents .... PUP or otherwise!

Dolover,

Where was yoru believing???? :biglaugh: You could have believed to stay in a local motel or get an RV.

There weren't enough hotels in the local areas or enough RVs in the bigger ROA days to take care of the people. Much less, there weren't enough RV spaces for everyone even if they could afford to rent an RV for a week or two.

It was a terrible time. We all thought we were doing it for God. Good thing HE knows our heart.

FUNNY THE TENT MEMORIES we must all have.

My personal favorite was going to ROA and waking up every morning with all my things floating in water....and drying them all out...(YOU KNOW, even while tent camping cleanliness was next to godliness) only to wake up the next morning with it all wet again.

Then as I moved up the ladder, the Corps tents were in place for all the in-residence Corps..and I think if I am not mistaken, we got cots than....yeah, cots.

Then coming in from the outside, we would stay in hotels....wherever you could find them, or if you were really elite in the Way world, you got to stay on site in the dorm rooms, ect....

I remember a girl I went through the corps with, that got married to clergy..and stayed on site in the dorm area....I remember seeing her and asking her if she had any coffee creamer for my coffee...and I had to wait outside of the dorm, since I wasnt allowed in there, for her to bring it back outside to me...

FUNNY the chit you remember.

MY VERY BEST memory of ROA ever...and I went to alot of them, was the night I was working bless patrol and this guy walks his 10 year old son up to me to help him help his son understand being born again...well, his son did get born again that night...at 2am...and that was by far the best memory I have of being at ROA ..BY FAR...

My mom and dad came to visit me when I was on Staff. It was August--the best time for humidity and all. I talked my dad in to attending the STS, but I told him he HAD to at least wear a tie. He said NO!!!! He went to the STS looking out of place. I was embarrassed because he stuck out like a sore thumb.

WN -- HA!! Reminds me of the time I was dating an ex-Jehovah's Witness gal,

and she invited me to their *memorial service* (communion service to you and I).

Even though she was *dis-fellowshipped* (M & A in our terminology), she was still allowed to go.

I dressed in my *best* (or what I thought was my *best*).

I was the only guy there, that wasn't wearing a dark suit and tie.

Hey -- my idea of dressed up is a shirt with a collar, and buttons up the front of it! :D

Yea -- I stuck out like a sore thumb as well, and I nearly compounded the error,

by almost taking a piece of bread, and a sip of wine,

as it was passed around the parishioners there.

But I saw that no one else was doing that.

They don't partake. The bread and the wine are passed through the aisle's ---

(just like a collection plate at a Protestant church service),

but no one takes a morsel of bread, nor do they sip at the wine.

Something to do with *only the 144,000* who will be in *heavan* can do that.

Maybe Raf can elaborate on that. :)

But -- because of my lack of *proper* clothing --- I got descended on by 8 to 10 men,

after the meeting with a gleam in their eye.

After all -- they are witnesses, eh??

I think they saw *fresh meat* for their particular fellowships! :nono5:

I live in alittle tiny town in the middle of nowhere, and have run across three people just recently that I have known for several years that have recently told me for one reason or another (I didnt prompt it) that they were involved with TWI way back when....( mostly in the early 70's...) I dont know if they all know each other or not, but the common theme with all of them is how screwed up of a group it was..

I don't remember having to dress up for Living Victoriously. Think I wore shorts and the like the whole time. But I was just a "leaf", so maybe that was the difference. I did run one of the twigs though at Living Victoriously. Was the dressing up for the corps in attendance or something?