GreaseSpot Cafe

Auto Inrurance

Belle

I"ve been trying to find a company that offers auto and homeowners insurance that I can trust. I'd love to get the discount for using them for both, but so far that's been a no-go.

I don't like or trust State Farm and Allstate. I use Cotton States for homeowners, but even with that the auto insurance has been very high.

I had Geico for auto before, but so did my ex and they kept getting things mixed up between our accounts and it really peeved me to no end trying to get things straightened out. They also lost some "waiver" I sent to them THREE TIMES.

I'm with Progressive now, but they are very expensive. They're very good, but I think I can do better rate-wise.

So, what do you do and who do you use? What's reasonable?

Hey Belle :)

I went from State Farm to Nationwide, to Progressive, to a small local company called Mutual benefit, and am now with Geico.

I haven't had those problems, Belle...but...to be honest, they were the cheapest when it comes to my car.

Cheers,

QT

I had GEICO for years. No real complaints with them, until it came time to switch. Then they were a pain in the butt.

I now have USAA insurance. For the most part, that is open to current or retired military, but if you had USAA when either you or spouse (I know that's not you Belle, but might be somebody), or if your (again may not apply) parents had USAA insurance, then you'd be eligible.

Last time I compared, they were over 25% cheaper than the nearest competition.

Also, they have some really good financial services available (car loans, mortgages, private investments, etc.)

As far as what's reasonable, that depends upon a bunch of factors:

- your driving record

- your age

- your sex

- the value of the car and whether you own or not

- the size of the engine

- the body style (I remember hearing once that a 2-door was more costly than the 4-door equivalent, because it was considered a "sports car")

- where you live. They do things sometimes county-by-county. So if you are in a county known for car theft and have some way your vehicle can be registered in a lower theft county, you may save a lot. Particularly if you have comprehensive coverage.

Right now we are with Gieco.

We have been with them before, I guess that most times we have moved we have gotten a different policy with different companys. This past year, I moved between states and was able to keep gieco. But they did change the policy and the prices.

I wish that we could have just kept the same policy, but since each company seems to only cover it's little area. Gieco seems to be getting better about us moving. But they could not cover us in Italy.

But they could not cover us in Italy.

That's curious. Because that's the reason I went over to Geico was that they DID cover us in Italy. (I'd been overseas enough to know that if I went with a local insurer when overseas that I'd have to pay premium rates when I got back to the states because of a "lapse in coverage")

Farm Bureau.

You don't have to own a farm to get their insurance.

My secratery was renewing her insurance and the lowest she could kind was Progressive. I got her to call Farm Bureau and it reduced her cost by 40%.

Service is great. They have local offices, agents, and claims.

I have all my insurance except bussiness insurance through them. I dont insure the bussiness because they dont offer non farm workers comp. insurance.

I have Allstate for my home and my car. I have never had any problems, My questions have allways been answered with a full explaination.

On a side note, I have been playing racquetball with my insurance agent for the past 13 years :biglaugh: .

It might be worth calling USAA, or at least checking online with them. The reasons Mark mentioned are the reasons I've used them... although I had heard that a few years ago they had to lift their "military only" way of doing business by law... but it can't hurt to check.

Every time I've run into an insurance agent that was sure he could give me a quote I would be interested in all I have to say is "I use USAA" and they go "oh... OK then, have a great day" (or something like that)...

We use GEICO and have been pleased with them.

Used to have Liberty Mutual. They were great, until we added teenaged drivers, then the premiums went sky high. But that was a few years back before TN required auto insurance (unbelievable, I know!), so many drivers were uninsured. TN finally got smart and required it, so all premiums have come down some.

That's curious. Because that's the reason I went over to Geico was that they DID cover us in Italy. (I'd been overseas enough to know that if I went with a local insurer when overseas that I'd have to pay premium rates when I got back to the states because of a "lapse in coverage")

They did not for us.

They did recommend another company out of UK that covered us in Italy and Greece, however.

Thanks so much!!

GEICO gave me a higher quote, but since I was with them just over a year ago, I'm going to try going the "live person" route instead of just accepting the online quote.

I'm also going to check with my grandparents to see if they're on USAA - Daddy wasn't military so I don't qualify according to their site, but I'll try the "live person" route with them too.

Looking at all the other options y'all mentioned, too! Such a wealth of information and helpfulness we have here! :love3: Thank you so much!

Thanks so much!!

GEICO gave me a higher quote, but since I was with them just over a year ago, I'm going to try going the "live person" route instead of just accepting the online quote.

I'm also going to check with my grandparents to see if they're on USAA - Daddy wasn't military so I don't qualify according to their site, but I'll try the "live person" route with them too.

Looking at all the other options y'all mentioned, too! Such a wealth of information and helpfulness we have here! :love3: Thank you so much!

I may be wrong, but I thought that USAA was only commissioned officers, not regular military servicemembers. I spoke with them once in the 80s. But being an enlisted servicemember I was not eligible.

I may be wrong, but I thought that USAA was only commissioned officers, not regular military servicemembers. I spoke with them once in the 80s. But being an enlisted servicemember I was not eligible.

No, they changed that over in about 1996 or 1997. I ended up switching to them in '99, when I got back to the states.

I have GEICO for both home and auto. I've been with them for auto for over 20 years and have nothing but excellent service. However... Their underwriter for home is Traveler's, a company with mixed reviews AT BEST. There is a discount for both home and auto being on one policy.

Someone else noted above that adding a teen to GEICO is a major dent. This is true in spades as I have just added a teen driver; however you can mitigate this buy having the teen have their own car (worth probably less than your primary vehicle) and then get an exclusion, i.e. they cannot drive your primary car - only insured on their own car. This brought things down to an almost reasonable level.