GreaseSpot Cafe

Oakland Athletics versus the Detroit Tigers

Mark Sanguinetti

And the New York Yankees are burnt toast.

Sorry Yankee fans. I could not resist the dig. But then maybe the NY Mets will fair better. Actually, I like the Mets so I hope it will be the Oakland Athletics versus the New York Mets in the World Series.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

I llove the A's defense. They have the best outfield defense Ive seen in awhile.Their combination of range, which is perfect for the two large parks, and arms, which will keep the Tigers from going from 1st to 3rd on singles, is ideal for this series.

The pitchings not great but it is very good, . Esteban Loaiza was better in the second half than Verlander. Zito is better than Robertson. And Harden at 90% is probably better than Bonderman; though it remains to be seen how healthy he is. I really like the way the A's are playing, but after watching the Tigers close down the Yanks who doesnt like the Tigers?

I'd probably give the bullpen edge to the Tigers. But it's pretty close, and the A's have the better close IMO.

But then again its the playoffs--Who knows what will happen?

Game 1: Tuesday, Oct. 10, 8:00 EDT

Detroit (Robertson) at Oakland (Zito)

Game 2: Wednesday, Oct. 11 Time TBA

Detroit (TBA) at Oakland (TBA)

Game 3: Friday, Oct. 13, 8:00 EDT

Oakland (TBA) at Detroit (TBA)

Game 4: Saturdayday, Oct. 14, 7:30 EDT

Game 5 (if nec.): Sunday, Oct. 15, 4:00 EDT

Game 6 (if nec.): Wednesday, Oct. 17 Time 8:00 EDT

Game 7 (if nec.): Wednesday, Oct. 18 Time 8:00 EDT

The A's do have a very goood defensive team. Perhaps the best in baseball. However, they lost their second basemen, Mark Ellis, who set an all time fielding record for highest fielding percentage this year so they have to find a replacement. Ron Washington, is the best fielding coach in the major leagues though. He will have them ready. When Eric Chavez won one of his gold gloves at third base he gave it to Ron Washington. He is that good as an infield coach.

During the year I pretty much knew about how many games the A's would win over a 162 game season. The A's have a deep bench and some pretty good major league players. Over a short series though it is pretty much of a crap shoot. Whoever gets hot at the end wins.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

That toast is just about burnt now.

Reminds me of 84. What a great year that was!

Tried picking up the game on the radio while driving home today and these damn east coasters won't even put the game on. Three sports stations and not one of them thought to broadcast an ALCS game?