GreaseSpot Cafe

Thanksgiving

Sudo

Like most holidays this one has snuck up on me like a rude sound from Ron's son's machine..

There's sure to be plenty of recipes on the new 'Kitchen' Forum but guys its getting a tad late in all this. It's only 3 days away!! Why is it that these very special times slip up so quickly? The very latest fad in turkey preparation seems to be to brine them with seasonings. I'm assuming the dressing and pumpkin pie recipes are unchanged. But lets hear it folks... gots your very-own-selves something special we need to hear?

Here's something Thanksgiving I think is neat.. Click HERE! and see how long it takes you to recognize what is being presented.

My mom used to work at the Millington, Tn naval base and had one of the unmarried WAVS over for thanksgiving dinner, oh, about 1966 I'd say it was. She was from Alaska and had told my momma how Oyster dressing was a tradition where she grew up. So guess what? My mom made oystter dressing just for her. It was the first time I had ever had oysters as they weren't real popular in Memphis back then. Ummmmm... I now make it every year.

sudo

Sudo-----------Yep, Oyster dressing. Always both types at our Thanksgiving(Bread based and Oyster based). The oyster based usually runs out first. Old saying: Never eat FRESH oysters in a month ending in "er". Something to do with feeding habits or the like.

I figured we'd end up with Thanksgiving recipes both here and in the kitchen--oh well! More to try!! LOL!

For my stuffing I do the regular onions/celery. etc-- and cook up some hot breakfast sausage and mix it in-- with maybe another shake of those little pepper seeds-- (ya know the stuff some people shake on their pizza). And it doesn't get cooked in the turkey, it gets cooked in a lasagna pan so that there's a bunch of the crispy top! LOL!

I've stuffed seasoned hamburger in the cavity of the turkey-- makes that "meatloaf" taste delicious! Only problem is, now that I cook the turkey in an oven roaster bag, the hamburger doesn't get done all the way-- not in the heat long enough, but the turkey is NEVER dry when cooked in a bag.

In my mashed 'taters, I stir in some fresh parmesan cheese, and use heavy whipping cream--no butter. (And of course there's no fat grams there! LOL!!!)

My hubby's family always had saurkraut at Thanksgiving, as well as the traditional fare. Seems to be a tradition in Baltimore. What a mix when that saurkraut juice and yer cranberries run together!! EWWWW!! :wacko:

What are ya'all doing? I ususally snag people that say they have no place to go, no family or whatever. I love to cook for a crowd-- last year we had 23 people--which is not unusual. This year, we were gonna have some dear friends that had moved away, come visit. They have been supporting a ministry where recovering drug addicts live in this home-- they got a wild thought to host these folks for Thanksgiving--9 men, 3 women (which included the couple who runs this home). I must confess, that while giving money to their program was something we were willing to do, having them in our home, I wasn't ready for. :( Our friends are gonna host these folks, so now it's back to just our family. That's fine, we'll have a sweet family day, but I have mixed emotions about not having these people over--don't know if anyone understands, or if we now look like real jerks. . .

Coolchef,

I really envy you for your knowledge. I do a lot of time in the kitchen (I hesitate to call it cooking) and would LOVE to have had your training. On the oyster thing, though, there is a bit of truth behind what Waysider posted. Maybe as not much today but I still hesitate to use oysters during months with no 'R' in them.

You see, the months with no 'R' in them are mainly the Summer months.. May to August. And the problem wasn't with the oysters in the water.. it was the conditions on the decks of the oyster boats. The oysters spoiled very very quickly in the hot temperatures. I've felt ill on a few occaisons after eating oysters and it was always during a month with no 'R' in it. Coulda' been a coincidence, though, I'm willing to admit. I think most commercial oyster outfits ice the suckers down immediately now don't they?

Thanksgiving Day On Blind Farmer Brown's Ranch

aed2.jpg

sudo

I fondly remember Thanksgivings when everyone in my family was still around--grandparents, aunts and uncles, the whole fam-damly, as my grandma used to say with a twinkle in her eye (that was soooooooooooo naughty for her--she never swore).

Grandma was always clad in a floral apron, and I remember her hands always in motion, usually shooing us kids out of the kitchen or out from underfoot. My two younger cousins who lived in town got in trouble every year for sneaking a bunch of olives before dinner was ready and putting them on their fingers.

My grandfather would sit on the couch until time to eat, sometimes asking one of us kids to come sit beside him and read to him from a Benett Cerf book. Mom and Dad and my aunts and uncles were younger then than I am now, and they were busy laughing and talking.

We had to put all the leaves in the table so everyone would fit around it. Grandma had these padded things that folded out to the size of the table top that she put under the tablecloth to protect the table. Her kitchen was small, now that I think back, but she turned out a whole lot of good food.

We're a very traditional family at Thanksgiving. The menu seldom varies from what we ate back then in the 1950s: turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes with marshmallows melted on top, two kinds of stuffing ("regular" and cornbread), a relish tray with pickles and olives and celery and carrots, cranberry sauce (both the jellied kind and the whole-berry kind), freshly baked rolls, some kind of fruit salad, a veggie that hardly gets eaten, pumpkin pie and, for a family member who's allergic to eggs, apple pie.

This is making me hungry!!

awwww thanksgiving days gone by

as kids we were always always hoping our first snow would come on thanksgiving day

and most times it did, even if just little flurries

now everyone complains how cold it is and really it's like spring compared to then :)

--

we always had mincemeat pie but i don't think there was really meat in it. i never ate it anyway :)

we had one turnip for my grandmother. i didn't like how that looked either ha

--

i have more but i'll save it for later. tears in my eyes already jeese

Linda,

Re:"Grandma was always clad in a floral apron, and I remember her hands always in motion, usually shooing us kids out of the kitchen or out from underfoot."

NOW I know why we get along so well.. We're related!! Obviously we had the same grandmother! :biglaugh: My how that house smelled so good ALL DAY LONG on Thanksgiving. The women folk started early in the morning with the baking and cooking. The smell of that turkey was mouthwatering but combined with the smells of sweet potato cassarole, giblet gravy, cornbread dressing, chocolate pies (a Southern favorite) and last but not least.. yeast rolls (which even the neighbors could smell) at the very end of the cooking.... it was enough to make you willing to sell your little brother to the Gypsies.

sudo

Sudo--------"Sell your little brother to the Gypsies------- HaHaHaHa!

My grandmother used to say you had to be careful or the gypsies would steal you and make you a slave.She also used to say "dasn't" when she meant to say "dare not". In all my life, I never heard anyone but her use either of these two expressions. So what has this got to do with Thanksgiving? Well, I guess nothing in the strict sense , but it does cause me to reflect on some of the conversations that took place on "turkey days " past.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Greasespots!!!!

In a couple of hours, Hubby and I are headed to Milton, FL, and then on to San Destin. We will return on Sunday.

Since marrying hubby, we spend Thanksgiving with his family and most of the rest of holidays with my family, which includes my mom and dad who are still living, Thank GOD!!!!

Hubby's parents aren't, so we made a pact that as long as mine were still around, Christmas would be with them. Actually, this is the first year in about 20 years that Dad will be here, as he used to go to Brooksville, FL, every winter. He will be 84 next month so he sold his trailer in FL last March. I am thankful that he won't be on the road for that long trip by himself any more!!

Be safe and have a great Thanksgiving holiday, wherever you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!