GreaseSpot Cafe

What do I do now?

krys

Hi all:

Antivert - - Luke Filewalker stopped scanning midstream with this message"

Begin scan in 'C:\'

C:\pagefile.sys

[WARNING] The file could not be opened!

Now - I allowed MacAffee to install something yesterday, and my whole system went beserk because I "think" it set itself up as ruler of MY empire. So I booted it out. Afterwards, things were not the same so I used "system restore" and things were good. [running xp - sorry] After the restore, there were some items that were segregated and filed somewhere and I noted them mentally and things seemed ok - so I otherwise ignored that factoid.

Here's my question:

Am I in big trouble virus-worm wise at this juncture? or am I correct in the assumption that this piece of jibberish which stopped antivir was in all likelihood one of these stranded file segments?

I'm off to check with the "doc" and a few other places now. Thanks for your kind attention.

I'm not familiar with 'antivert'.

But you can make a new page file system.

right click 'my computer'

left click properties

left click 'advanced tab'

left click 'performance settings'

set it to no paging file

then reboot

after reboot repeat process

but set it to system managed

this will make a new paging file

I don't think you're in big trouble. The pagefile is normally locks out other applications. A couple of things you can do if the above doesn't help..

1. Click Start > Help and Support > Pick a task > Undo changes to your computer with system restore >

Restore my computer to an earlier time. Find a date prior to the muckup and restore from there.

2. Click Start > Run > enter msconfig and run it. Click the Startup tab and unclick everything named Macaffee,

Press apply and reboot. Click through the nag message about changes and tell it not to notify you again.

After you get your machine running use Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs to get rid of Macaffee.

Get into the habit of using System Restore to set a restore point every time you install a software package. BTW, I hate all the Macaffee/Norton/Symantic products. If you need a firewall, update Windows and use the Windows firewall. Works fine for me and is easy to turn on and off. If you need a virus checker, first of all run Windows Update regularly and secondly, download Windows Defender and use it. Just my 2 bits.

BTW, I hate all the Macaffee/Norton/Symantic products.

So do I. Not as much as Windows applications, but I find they're both HUGE files and INTRUSIVE.

Smaller programs seem to be more useful to me.

If you need a firewall, update Windows and use the Windows firewall. Works fine for me and is easy to turn on and off.
I would NOT do this, except while downloading a firewall PROGRAM. The Windows "firewall" that came

with Windows Service Pack 2 was designed to be "better than nothing" and "better than the previous one."

It succeeds in this.

However, 1/2 a firewall's protection doesn't exist with this- there's no protection against a resident

program dialing out if it slips past your security.

So, I would download a firewall like ZoneAlarm. The basic one has never let me down, and

the pay version is even better.

If you need a virus checker, first of all run Windows Update regularly and secondly, download Windows Defender and use it. Just my 2 bits.

Running Windows Update should always be done.

This does not substitute for an antivirus, and neither does Windows Defender.

(That's more an antispyware program.)

There are at least 3 good free antivirus programs.

AVG is good, and is kind to newbies.

Avira AntiVir is better, and has a smaller "footprint" on the hard-drive.

Avast! is better still.

From what she's saying, sounds like she's also using Avira already.

I hear what you're saying, Wolf, but I've just not found the need for either a third-party firewall or anti-virus stuff. I maintain over a dozen XP machines. Most of the users have admin privileges on their machines and have been properly trained not to install untrusted software or to open email attachments other than .pdf's and images. I have had no virus or security issues for about 3 years.

ZoneAlarm and AVG are good, but not everyone needs them. Assuming you already have an external NAT router/firewall with stateful packet inspection, I think that trained users can get by fine with regular updates and the Microsoft tools.

I hear what you're saying, Wolf, but I've just not found the need for either a third-party firewall or anti-virus stuff. I maintain over a dozen XP machines. Most of the users have admin privileges on their machines and have been properly trained not to install untrusted software or to open email attachments other than .pdf's and images. I have had no virus or security issues for about 3 years.

That's avoiding undue risks, but to not use an antivirus and firewall to me seems to be skipping

what I consider the bare minimum for security, even with the updates.

I like making it as hard as possible for someone to intrude.

(And I manage it with freeware.)

ZoneAlarm and AVG are good, but not everyone needs them. Assuming you already have an external NAT router/firewall with stateful packet inspection, I think that trained users can get by fine with regular updates and the Microsoft tools.

Presuming trained user, and presuming the external firewall with stateful packet inspection,

I expect the risk would be less. I would STILL use a firewall/antivirus, though.

At the minimum.

I maintain over a dozen XP machines. Most of the users have admin privileges on their machines and have been properly trained not to install untrusted software or to open email attachments other than .pdf's and images. I have had no virus or security issues for about 3 years.

No virus or security issues that you know about.

Most PCs that are compromised, running viruses or being used by someone else (i.e. to send spam out), are not known to be compromised by their owner. The goal of viruses these days is generally not to damage the PC it infects, giving satisfaction to the writer of the virus. Most nowadays are to provide access to the PC in order that it can be used to do things that are not exactly legal, like send out thousands of spam emails or be used in a distributed denial of service attack.

Training users not to install untrusted software or open certain email attachments is useful but not all encompassing. People can be tricked and frequently are. Remember the ILoveYou virus? It was sent as an attachment that resembled a Word document, even though it was a Visual Basic Script file. The email came from someone you knew because it propagated itself by emailing to everyone in a person's personal contacts address book. And that's a simple virus who's goal was only to replicate itself and do nothing else. Most viruses today use stealth and hide once they get on a PC.

I'd say there is a high probability that more than 1 of your PCs has been compromised and being used for purposes you would not approve of. Running anti-virus software doesn't cure everything, but it's better than leaving the front door unlocked.

I am not a fan of software firewalls. If you want a firewall, get a router, or even spend a couple hundred bucks on a firewall appliance. The high end would be a SonicWall appliance, but there are cheaper ones that would be better for home use.

GT is correct, most people who have been compromised have NO idea that their computer is sending out spam, or even worse...keyloggers, you name it. I have not read any statistics on the issue, but I would be willing to bet that 75 percent or better of all the unpatched Win XP machines on the net are compromised. NOTE, I said "unpatched"...machines that do not have service packs, hotfixes, etc. installed.

Rick