GreaseSpot Cafe

Who's the best for car rentals

waterbuffalo

I checked those sites. Thanks, Tom. The lowest rate was with SW, though, and they reserved a car for me. I'm wondering now if I call Alamo directly or go online if it will make a difference in price.

It's been a few years, but I've rented from Alamo (in California) and they were priced lower than the others then... My hunch is that if you check the rental companies' web sites directly, you should be able to tell fairly easily which will give you the best price given the dates/locations/types of car you'd like to use.

If you rent enough, try to get a premier membership with the rental agency...I've used both the Hertz #1 Club and the National Emerald Aisle.

The savings in time is HUGE. And you get benefits that, in my mind, at least, make it well worth the effort:

- No lines at major airports. Your car is waiting for you to climb in and go.

- Often, they will have a bunch of cars lined up and you just pick the one you want.

- Other times you'll get a free upgrade without even asking. For example, on my last trip, I asked for a Corolla and they automatically upgraded me to a Taurus (mid size to full size).

In the case of Hertz, my company paid for it. But I looked on their web site and the annual cost if I had to pay for it myself would be $50. (If I rented more than a couple of times a year, to me, it would seem like it was worth it)

Not sure what National or Avis or whatever cost, but I'm sure it's not much different.

---------

My attitude to off-airport rentals (like Thrifty). Sure, you'll save a couple of bucks (not as much as you think). But you will pay for it in inconvenience, shabby car, and the possibility of missing a flight.

---------

You can get discounts in a number of ways.

- If your company has an arrangement with a car company, a lot of times they'll have a corporate purchase agreement code or discount code that you can apply for your personal rentals.

- You can get discounts through AAA or AARP membership or through other groups that you may be a member of.

- Discount clubs often have arrangements with car rental places (I am a member of BJ's...and they have arrangements with a number of rental companies. I'm sure that Costco and Sam's Club also have discounts)

- If you are active, reserve, or retired military, or are a federal government employee (maybe state too, not sure), you can use a government discount (show your ID card when you rent)

Other ways to save money on rentals:

1. Check with your car insurance before you rent. Most car insurances will cover you when you rent a car. If that's the case, you don't need to pay for the collision damage waiver. That can save a HUGE amount of money (maybe $10 a day).

2. If you KNOW you're going to do a lot of driving, pre-pay for a tank of fuel. Otherwise, you have to waste valuable time paying for expensive gas at a nearby gas station OR pay the rental car company up to TWICE the cost of the gas to fill the tank for you if it's not at 100% full.

Well, no I'm visiting family. I just had to come back and let you know I called Alamo and my rate for a midsize was $98, including all taxes and fees, for 2 days. The airline made the reservation.

Well, I called them back and asked for my AAA discount and now my rate is $75.40!!!! That is the lowest or possibly second lowest I've ever rented a midsized for. ohmygosh!

thanks for suggesting I call them!

You are a gem.

Not in my experience... and I travel quite a bit as well. MarkO's suggestions were spot on... if you pre-pay for gas, you'll pay a premium as compared to the local gas stations but far less than if you don't. As MarkO said, they typically charge close to twice what the local rate for gas is if you don't pre-pay or refill it before returning. And as MarkO also said, it's a lot more convenient and worth the markup to pre-pay for the gas unless you know the area around the airport and have plenty of time... which doesn't always work out anyway since there could be an unexpected problem with traffic.

MarkO's suggestion about joining their programs is good as well. National will "sign you up" for the emerald club for free usually on your first trip. Hertz has a free "#1 Club" that's not the same as the "Gold" but still has some perks. I don't recall what Alamo has, but I'm sure they have something as well. USAA has discounts with all of them as well.