GreaseSpot Cafe

I just read "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse"

outandabout

I just read the book "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse." I think I started it years ago and never finished it but I was perusing my bookcase for something to read and pulled this book out.

If you ever have a smidgen of any doubt that TWI was abusive, read this book. It screamed TWI all over it even though no actual groups were mentioned. I felt like writing notes all over it and highlighting half of it.

The book describes various forms of spiritual abuse and why people don't recognize it, put up with it and can't or won't leave it. It also give advice on how to get over it once you do get out.

Now I pulled out "Toxic Faith" and I'm reading that one. This too I bought long ago and never finished.

What surprised me was how TWI stuff still affects me somewhat even though it's been over 16 years since I got out.

Also how TWI is not alone in its abusive tactics.

If you ever have a smidgen of any doubt that TWI was abusive, read this book. It screamed TWI all over it even though no actual groups were mentioned. I felt like writing notes all over it and highlighting half of it.

Do you have the Cambridge or Oxford wide margin edition? :biglaugh:

O&A, that book was the ultimate in helping me to see how far gone I had gotten in TWI and how much abuse I was really living with.

It was horrifying to me to realize that there are so many other groups out there like TWI ..... enough for that book to have to be written and for so many people to relate all too well to the tactics. Thank God we're free from all that and can help identify it to help others.

When I read this it was just as if someone was peering into TWI and exposing all its nasty bits. It seemed as if it was about TWI. Yes, I wanted a highlighter too but decided a book on entirely yellow paper wasn't a blessing.

When I looked at the date of the copyright, it was shocking to see that it was originally written many years before and this was just an updated version.

Freeing to read - but oh, how horrifying to think that this sort of treatment has been going on ... and on ... and on ...

There is nothing new under the sun...

There is nothing new in spiritual abuse...