GreaseSpot Cafe

snow

likeaneagle

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After weeks of freezing, it was forecast for 33 yesterday, but we got to 43. They said 33 today too, but we hit 42 and most of the ice is finally melting off the lane. Temps are dropping now, down to 36, tonight through tomorrow it is supposed to drop 8" of snow. Then a couple days real cold. Man ... :biglaugh:

Here in the Valley of the Sun, we SAW snow (off in the distance) a couple of weeks ago... a few of the mountains to the east and northeast of Scottsdale had snow on them for one day...

fortunately or unfortunately, that's as close as it got to me... obviously, I'm not in the midwest.

Aren't you glad you don't live in Upstate NY?

NO SNOW!!

Maybe it'll warm up this weekend. The Scouts have a campout this weekend aptly named "Klondike" where we sleep in tents and compete in various events such as a caber toss, blindfolded knot tying, tomahawk throwing, orienteering, lashing a tripod, fire building, first aid etc.

I'm the Scoutmaster, now, which means I'm supposed to lead by example. The ONLY activities I'm qualified to lead the boys in real cold weather are...

A. Shivering

B. Hiding under blankets

C. Complaining

D. Drinking coffee

E. Making the boys unload gear, set camp, pitch tents, haul water, post colors, gather firewood, build a fire and cook while I sit in the van with the heater going and smoking a cigarette.

ChilkootSummitCustoms150.jpg

Since there are no awards or merit badges for these activities, I, for one, will pray for cancellation unless the weather improves dramatically by Friday evening.

Here in the Valley of the Sun, we SAW snow (off in the distance) a couple of weeks ago... a few of the mountains to the east and northeast of Scottsdale had snow on them for one day...

fortunately or unfortunately, that's as close as it got to me... obviously, I'm not in the midwest.

Yes, ROcky Im glad im treading thru snow at all..Upstate new York is suppose to be beautiful.

Yea, Rhino, that is wierd weather for Illinois..I was there 2 wks ago for my brothers memorial service, it was so cold..Im glad for the ground, it means alot come spring:)

Ive have been to Arizona several times.........the Canyon and Sedona......another blessed part of the earth.

From the AP ----

nysnow.jpg

Before it began to wind down Sunday, persistent streams of squalls fueled by moisture from Lake Ontario during the last week consistently dumped lake-effect snow in this western New York region.

All that's left -- apart from the massive dig out -- is to claim the record for the most snowfall in a week. Redfield's total of 136 inches would break the state record of ten feet, seven inches that fell in nearby Montague over seven days ending Jan. 1, 2002, said Steve McLaughlin, a meteorologist for the

National Weather Service in Buffalo. A National Weather Service official will travel Monday to verify the amount.

DM-

I cannot imagine that much snow.....incredible

Ron

You and the BS can build a debree hutch..I learned how to make on in a survival class at Rome City..You have to sleep in it naked...It maintains heat to about 40 below..Its actualy similar to a cacoon...alot of renewed mind in this one..heehee

I'm watching now because it looks like that system from upper west is pushing things below us perhaps. But what I've heard so far is only a couple inches by morning but by days end tomorrow 8 to 10 inches but there is heavy ice being spoken of also. It looks like to me though it could push below us but that's not what they are saying.

Last week we had the below freezing cold. Then the weekend was gorgeous with temps in the 20's, and today we had snow! It wasn't too bad though. Here its supposed to snow for 3 days, but we're only suppose to get 4 inches in all. I think the big storm Chatty's talking about is going to pass us by.

I saw a snow removal company clearing out a drug store parking lot today. One of the guys was on a snowmobile with a snowplow on the front. It looked like more fun than work!

Here in Indianapolis, we're due to start in a couple of hours and continue for nearly 24 hours. They are forecasting 8-12" here and 12-16" about an hour north of us. We are just coming off of 6" from last week (which was really our first significant snow this year that "stuck").

The salting and snow plow crews have been set up for hours. We're hoping for enough overnight for Joseph's first snow day (cuz Mom sure doesn't want to drive in it tomorrow morning!). I had to pick up in the 6" we rec'd last week (which dumped right at commute time) and it was 2.5 hours round trip for something that normally takes 40 minutes.

J.

I saw a snow removal company clearing out a drug store parking lot today. One of the guys was on a snowmobile with a snowplow on the front. It looked like more fun than work!

Yup! If you've got a machine with cylinders -- it can be fun. :)

If all you have is a shovel -- it's not so fun. :(

:biglaugh:

It's been bad here in the deep south to.

Yesterday i had to cut my grass.

Today riding around I had to put the A/C on be cause it was

to darn hot. it was 73 at lunch when I checked had to

get a fresh t shirt because I was all sticky.

We did get a lot of rain in jan. Lot less mosquitos because of the 27 degree

morning we had a few weeks ago.

Thank God Boudreau the nutria rat did not see his shadow

and spring is here. The willows have put out there leaves.

Some of the oaks are springing fort. Some azaleas are peeking out.

By the way what is that word yall used SNOW?

It's been bad here in the deep south to.

Yesterday i had to cut my grass.

Today riding around I had to put the A/C on be cause it was

to darn hot. it was 73 at lunch when I checked had to

get a fresh t shirt because I was all sticky.

We did get a lot of rain in jan. Lot less mosquitos because of the 27 degree

morning we had a few weeks ago.

Thank God Boudreau the nust dtria rat did not see his shadow

and spring is here. The willows have put out there leaves.

Some of the oaks are springing fort. Some azaleas are peeking out.

By the way what is that word yall used SNOW?

I know snow--!! But im in NC now..so we get snow by chance.

My yougest daughter bought my oldest a house warming gift today..It is a gift basket filled with starter plants, asparagus, leek,garlic and other plants...My daughter lives in New Hampshire. I told my youngest that the plants cannot get planted till May the latest in New Hampshire because it snows forever there..I laughed so hard!!