GreaseSpot Cafe

"The Secret"...Anyone read or watched it?

whatsuptwi

I dunno.. I think it is really easy to attribute success to some kind of mystical power source, when one is wallowing in the land of oportunity, so to speak.

The reality of it is that everybody in the world can't have everything or anything that they want.

Let's all just go to the moon.

:biglaugh:

It sounds like the promise of pfal however. Whatever your greedy little heart wants, we've got a way for you to get it.

I think if a person were to invoke this kind of "power", there are a few payments to be made. I wouldn't ask for something I couldn't afford..

As far as my personal life is concerned, I really don't want or need any kind of shortcut. I choose to build one brick at a time..

:)

I think it's like in the old days, when alchemists wanted to learn to secret to turn lead and other "junk metal" into gold..

as far as acquiring wealth is concerned, it would be self-defeating.

Edited by Mr. Hammeroni

I love The Secret!

I would not even BEGIN to compare it with the 'believing equals receiving' stuff in PFAL. In Vics class.... at some point if you believed enough or in the right way a mystical God was going to bless your life.

The Secret seems to be more about focused attention. It might appear to be magical... (LOL!!)

To me its a reminder... to be aware of where my attention goes........

whatsuptwi wrote

I've heard that churches are also using "The Secret" materials to teach their congregations, also.

Actually my church devoted two mid-week services to teachings about the errors of "The Secret". I was very interested to hear what was taught but I wasn't able to make the 1st week's teaching. I've come to the conclusion through the years since leaving TWI that "the law of believing" is one of the most hurtful of TWI's doctrinal teachings. I got so frustrated and disappointed through the years trying to make my mind bring forth spiritual results. There is no power in the mind! If someone does get power by "thinking" it without acknowledging God as the source of the power and submitting and desiring the will of God over one's own will, it has to be demonic.

Here are some of my notes from the teaching by John Huntzinger at The Church on the Way (North Campus in Santa Clarita, CA) on 6/26/2007. (My thoughts and observations are in parentheses. Quotes from the book are in quotes.)

The Law of Attraction - the thoughts we think will bring those things into my life.

1st he summarized what he covered the previous week on thoughts and confession:

The Bible says to "think on things that are noble"

Is 55 - My thoughts are higher than yours.

Phil 2 - Have this mind in you which was also in Christ Jesus

Be open to the ministry of the Holy Spirit

The Secret - "We are eternal energy - God in a physical body", "You are all power", "You are the Creator. You create your own life."

"I am abundant, I am happy" (He read a whole bunch of I am statements that you're supposed to repeat to yourself)

In contrast Jesus had seven "I am" statements in the gospel of John:

I am the bread of life.

I am the light of the world.

Before Abraham was I am.

I am the good shepherd.

I am the resurrection and the life.

I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.

I am the true vine.

Asking and Receiving

"Asking is the first step in the creative process." (My question at this point is, “Whom are you supposed to ask?” You would think that if you're going to ask, there has to be a person that is the object of the question, apparently not)

"Asking is like picking out what you want from a catalog."

"1st step - be specific about what you want." (Classic blue book)

Receiving - "You need to have a good feeling. The feeling of believing, claim it by feeling and believing. Ask once, all you have to do is feel good about it - tune in to the feel good frequency. Whatever makes you feel good is right for you."

Contrast this "feel good frequency" with the life of Paul: II Corinthians 11:24-27 "From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil; in sleeplessness often; in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness."

(Doesn't sound like Paul was tapped in to the "feel good frequency" at all.)

Asking and receiving from a Biblical point of view is very different from this. Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given you." In the context, Jesus was teaching his disciples how to pray. Pray for the kingdom to come and for "His will" to be done. Ask for the things needed to carry out His kingdom and His will, not whatever "makes you feel good."

Love: "To attract the things we love we must feel love. As you feel love praise that presence."

Knowing the truth about The Secret takes the pressure off. We don't have to create the world we live in by our thoughts.

wordsandwrks.. you wrote...

"Love: "To attract the things we love we must feel love. As you feel love praise that presence."

pssssstttt..... ahh... thats EXACTLY what the Secret is about!!!

If ya really look into this stuff its not JUST "happy thoughts create happy lives" Thats just delusional thinking. (But happy thought are A LOT more fun than unhappy ones!!)

"Knowing the truth about The Secret takes the pressure off. We don't have to create the world we live in by our thoughts."

Maybe you/we already are.... :doh: