GreaseSpot Cafe

Me again

I Love Bagpipes

Well....at the risk of sounding like I'm bragging......umm.....that's not my intent at all....but i am proud of the work. :)

Art-o-mat (that place where I work where we move snack size art around the globe) has a clip on The Rachel Ray Show on Fox, Monday, 3/12. It will be a short clip....maybe we will get 1 to 2 minutes. :) We got a call a couple weeks ago from the producer. Part of the show that day is about stuff one can buy out of vending machines.

I just want to share the news....without sounding too excited.

It's big news for us because we literally are an underground operation :D. We (the owner and a couple part timers) work out of a basement surrounded on 3 sides by dirt.

I walk across the street from my home, walk in the basement of my neighbor's house.....and am part of this international underground "project." We have over 350 active artists from around the globe. I almost weekly email artists across the waters. We weekly get new submissions from artists around the globe to participate with Art-o-mat.

Anyway.....just wanted to let ya'll know. Sure would be nice if $$$ came with the recent publicity. :D Oh well....maybe later it will, and maybe not.

Thanks for reading this....btw. :wave:

http://artomat.org/home.html

(spammed :spy: )

I'll hope to catch that--I have been reading all the links you have been supplying and I love the idea, the approach and and the spirit that conceived and and carries it out...hopefully there is always room for creative individuals to make their own way

How does it work? are the machines bought outright or are they placed and serviced? I am in an area that is progressive, artsy, funky --where people are always looking for something to add to their imaginations, I could see a bunch placed around where I live

Thanks gents and ladies. :)

I didn't think of it that way Wayside. Thanks!

I'll hope to catch that--I have been reading all the links you have been supplying and I love the idea, the approach and and the spirit that conceived and and carries it out...hopefully there is always room for creative individuals to make their own way

How does it work? are the machines bought outright or are they placed and serviced? I am in an area that is progressive, artsy, funky --where people are always looking for something to add to their imaginations, I could see a bunch placed around where I live

Thanks mstar...

http://artomat.org/hosting.html

It isn't a big money maker. ;) It's more about artists getting there names out there. Sounds like you understand that; a place for expression. Patrons too get an original piece of work. :) Artists also advertise their websites on their pieces.

There is an initial investment from the host usually no less than around $2000, but that varies. There is no more cost for the machine and it is on permanent loan. The host and artomat together help maintain the mechanical working of the machine. Usually a machine is designed specifically for the host; ie: the one in my current avatar is at a gallery named SPACE; one at a local hospital has an Operation Game theme; etc. Usually the host confirms how they'd like the machine to appear/be designed. The machine itself is an artpiece. ;) The initial set up fee includes a stock of art packs to get started, usually 200 pieces.

As far as the $$ for the art: Pieces cost the public $5 each. The host gets $1.50. The artist makes $2.50. Artomat comes in making $1.00 each. I'm guessing we ship out about....2000 to 2500 pieces per month.

I think that answers your questions? Thanks for asking!

:dance::beer:

Brilliant! I love it.

The machine itself is an artpiece.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The machines are sweet. I want one for my house.

I would second what Mstar said. I may not be ready to host it myself, but I can put the word out. I think something like this would easily find a home in a town like mine where people have bumper stickers that say, "Keep Boulder Weird." Not that it is weird but you know... we can be a little "unique" around here. Shoot 30 minutes away, this weekend, will be the annual "Frozen Dead Guy Parade." :biglaugh:

Anyways, I dig the concept and will put the word out to some galleries and funky local shops I know.

I think something like this would easily find a home in a town like mine where people have bumper stickers that say, "Keep Boulder Weird." Not that it is weird but you know... we can be a little "unique" around here. Shoot 30 minutes away, this weekend, will be the annual "Frozen Dead Guy Parade." :biglaugh:

rofl :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

You're kiddin? The Frozen Dead Guy Parade....roflmao....what the h is that?

Any town that has a Frozen Dead Guy Parade definitely has to have at least one of these.....

I was looking through the artists links and loved the stuff, and the machines themselves are really great. I saw an attempt about 6 or 8 years ago where someone had bought an old gumball machine, the kind that gives prizes in a little plastic egg type thing to do something similar, but it wasnt as well developed as your idea and disappeared in about a year. I always thought it was an interesting idea. I can think of a bunch of places where one of these machines would be a good fit.

I'd love to have one myself--I'll ask around

How exciting, BP! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Lori :wave:

btw: Thank you too Lindyhopper. I'm surprised you can type after all those martinis in that thin air. :wink2:

The Frozen Guy bash sounds like fun. lol So I can come out West and enjoy Frozen Guy Weekend in March, then come in the summer to Burning Man. lol

I was looking through the artists links and loved the stuff, and the machines themselves are really great.

I saw an attempt about 6 or 8 years ago where someone had bought an old gumball machine, the kind that gives prizes in a little plastic egg type thing to do something similar, but it wasnt as well developed as your idea and disappeared in about a year.

Sadly we aren't up to date with out artists' links and pics. That part of the website gets put on the back burner due to other priorities and the skeleton staff. We are trying to update...which is a continual process...of course.

I know when you state "your idea," you are referring generically to artomat. But I must clarify that the concept is 100% Clark's child. I just came on board a year ago as childcare. And i've fallen in love with the kid (so to speak). :rolleyes:

Thanks again mstar!!! :beer: