GreaseSpot Cafe

Dog Heroes

RottieGrrrl

I won't let this thread die. Even if I have to post every thing myself. God blessed dogs especially. I really do believe that!

Today's AOL headlines...............

ANDERSON, Ind. -- A collie named Lassie roused her owners and enabled them to escape their burning home but died in the fire, relatives said. "The dog saved their life," said Judi Thompson after her parents' home burned Wednesday morning. "Even the firemen said that. Isn't that amazing? It gives me goose bumps."

Thompson said her parents, Robert and Elsie Whitson, were asleep in their bedroom at the rear of their home in the city about 30 miles northeast of Indianapolis when the fire broke out. The dog, which slept at the foot of the couple's bed, licked and nibbled at their hands until 81-year-old Robert awoke and the couple went outside, she said.

Anderson Fire Department Battalion Chief Larry Towne said firefighters found the dog's remains underneath some collapsed roofing.

"They thought Lassie was out, but she wasn't," said Naomia L. Gooding, another daughter of the couple. "They loved this dog, and she was a wonderful dog."

Thick smoke was rolling from the home when firefighters arrived shortly after 7:30 a.m., Towne said. The fire was still under investigation, but likely was caused by a space heater in a family room in front of the house, he said.

Robert Whitson had first-degree burns to his shoulders, back and part of his head and his 80-year-old wife had chest pains at the scene. Both were treated at a hospital and released, Towne said.

No firefighters were injured fighting the blaze.

___

Edited by RottieGrrrl

When my daughter Kelly was three years old, she spent the afternoon with her grandfather, my dad.

He has a dog named Lady that is one of those really great golden retrievers, a sweet gentle faithful soul. She and Kelly had become dear and close friends, Lady being an excellent balm for Kelly after the death of daddy.

Kelly and Grandpa were out in the yard, feeding critters and checking out the new baby piglets. Kelly was not to go into the adjoining field because she was so little and she couldn't be seen in the grass and weeds.

Curiosity about a rabbit got the best of her and she wandered off. Next thing grandpa knew she was screaming bloody holy he!!.

Lady, being on four legs and grandpa on only two, took off towards her precious Kelly with grandpa moving as fast as he could.

A neighbor dog had her to the ground, standing over her, snarling and salivating, probably ready to attack, we'll never know, thankfully.

Lady took on the offending canine, grandpa scooped up Kelly and took off for the house.

The only damage to the child was some scratches, Lady took a good beating from the fight, needing some stitches in her hind leg.

Something changed in the dynamics of so many things that day and we are forever grateful for Lady's love for Kelly and her willingness to save the child's life. Even now, eight years later, their bond is sweeter, they run and play and talk and share things.

When it storms, Lady runs from her house about a mile away to be with Kelly, when my dad and step mom were building their new home, Lady came over alot, sometimes she'll stay for the day, sometimes just a little while. I believe Lady is just checking up on Kelly, really.

When we visit, Lady will give me an obligatory hello but it's Kelly she wants to greet and wander off with. I owe Lady something I could never repay.

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

Thank you so much for sharing that. That is freaking awesome.

You just brought back a memory I have of a childhood dog. Our next door neighbor's dog, (as a child) Chloie.

I would sit with Chloie under the cherry tree for hours, talking to her. (I was about 4, 5, 6) and I remember when Chloie got pregnant and had her pups, she wouldn't let anyone around her but me. Geez. None of the adults could believe it. I could walk in the room and handle the pups but anyone else she would growl at.

Not that I'm some great animal whisperer. I look back and it was the Mama dog looking after one of her own pups. I was one of her pups.

That's probably how Lady feels about Kelly. Facinating.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

The real Guide Dog hero of 9/11

The story circulating on the Internet tells of Daisy, a Golden Retriever Guide Dog, whose owner worked on the 101st floor of Tower 1 of the World Trade Center. When the plane struck the tower, Daisy led her blind owner, his boss and about three hundred others out of the building.

Not satisfied, she ran back into the building two more times to lead people out. She suffered acute smoke inhalation, severe burns on all four paws, and a broken leg, but she had saved 967 lives. Daisy was the first civilian Canine to win the Medal of Honor of New York City.

A heroic story, but more the stuff of Hollywood than reality. There was no Daisy, no Medal of Honor of New York City.

911_guide_dog_1.jpg

However there was a Roselle who behaved the way Guide Dogs are trained to behave. On the morning of 9/11, Michael Hingson was working on the 78th floor of the World Trade Center. His yellow Labrador Guide Dog, Roselle, was sleeping peacefully under his desk when the building was struck by a plane under the control of terrorists.

With his well trained discipline Roselle led Michael through the noise, smoke and rubble of the office to the stairwell to begin the long decent. Once on ground level Roselle remained focused as they continued walking away from the chaos of the building.

When they were about two blocks away, Tower 2 began to collapse. To escape the ash and debris, they started running for the subway. Roselle eventually guided Michael to the home of a friend in mid-Manhattan where they stayed until the trains were running again. They were finally able to arrive home in New Jersey after seven that evening.

From Guide Dogs for the Blind

Technorati Tags: 9/11 guide dog, Daisy, Michael Hingson, Roselle

more 911 stuff!

Yeah! Dogs!!!

http://dogsinthenews.com/issues/0206/articles/020601y.htm

Our german shepherd *kirby* was with my young children while walking on a hill behind our house years ago. She darted in front of them suddenly and attacked a rattle snake that had been sunning itself on the trail that the kids were getting ready to walk on.

Words cannot describe the dog who traveled with me during my ministry days, she was my only friend and family for many many years. No she never physically saved me from danger, but she was my angel that guided me through those difficult times.

Thanks for sharing Rascal.

Btw, just the presense of a dog can be a great deterence. I bring my dog with me every day to the office Honestly I've had very few complaints in the entire year I've been there. Most people really like her. She's a great dog.

My answer to the people who complain is this. "Unless you are planning on breaking into my office and robbing and raping me you shouldn't have a problem with my dog. okay?"

That may be a bit rude but I'll tell ya, it really shuts them up quick.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I worked with a woman named Bennie (that's right) and she had a chow named "Q". He kept pushing her back onto the concrete around her pool when she tried to walk on the grass. Finally he jumped forward to take on the danger as Bennie would not listen to him. Q got bitten in the face by a snake. He needed to be treated by a Vet and pulled through --

Dogs can be little angels.

My dogs haven't done anything heroic yet, but they're still my heroes. When I come home after a long day at work, they're both at the door greeting me, their butts and tails wagging as fast as they can, so happy to see me. They're the epitome of unconditional love. It doesn't matter if I walk in with a smile or a frown, they're just thrilled I'm home. You can't ask for more than that from a companion!

Edited by Linda Z

It's kind of strangely funny these Dog Hero's love far better than some of the people I have dealt with in life! The're so loyal and true and loveable; not to mention the degree of unconditional love they display defending people to their own death! How sad!

A woman client has a cocker Spaniel. She had a heart attack and fell on the floor. Her dog, Peppi, laid by her and licked her face, then running to the window throwing open the curtains and banging on the window and howling to get attention.

Yvonne finally got to the phone and got help, but her dog was doing everything he could to save her life.

OK..... Mrs Hunt was 86 years old when this happened. She was out feeding her horses when she slipped and got mired.....she couldn`t get back to her feet so she crawled and rolled up the rocky hill to her barn, shredding her knees and hands....she rolled and crawled and wormed her way to the house and dragged herself up the stairs...across the porch and through the door.

She collapsed and could not move once in the house....she heated with wood, and within hours in the 5 degree weather the house was cold. At some point she had a heart attack and faded in and out of consciouness for 3 days as she lay on the freezing floor.

My friend found her 3 days later on the floor unconcious....the only thing that had saved this woman was her ancient corgy had been laying on her back for three days to keep her warm.

Mrs. Hunt made a full recovery eventually, she was in hospitals and nursing homes for almost 6 months untill she regained her strength and mobility.

She would have died within hours the first day if her little dog muffy hadn`t laid on her sharing body heat, preventing loss.... There was another dog there, bagel who just cowered and hid the whole time.

Edited by rascal

Dog named Hero

http://www.suntimes.com/news/189090,CST-NWS-hero28.article

Saves his owners

Around 4 a.m. Tuesday, Melissa Boyd awoke to Noah screaming her name. She opened her bedroom door to 4-foot-tall flames and smoke so thick she could barely find Noah's door. Hero -- whom the Boyds adopted from the Porter County Humane Society six months ago -- had sensed danger and began licking Noah's face. Noah woke up and, following the fire safety tips he learned in school, screamed for his mother.

Noah and Melissa ran outside and called 911. When firefighters arrived, they pulled Hero from the house and watched him collapse on the lawn, vomiting and wheezing from smoke inhalation. They gave him an oxygen mask. After an hour, Hero was back on his feet, albeit with a burned throat and nagging cough. He's on antibiotics and still wheezes when he barks.