GreaseSpot Cafe

Interesting outcome to a local school board election...

ChasUFarley

Our local town meeting to vote on warrant articles and local gov't positions took place yesterday.

Specifically, there were two open positions for the school board and three people were running for the positions. One candidate is a retired teacher, one candidate is a retired investment banker, and one candidate is an 18 year old senior in high school - I'll call him "The Kid"...

The Kid had been at every school board meeting I can remember (I work for the school board - I shoot the video for public access TV and write the meeting minutes). He's an Eagle Scout, active in various volunteer projects, president of his class, etc. - you get the idea. He's the kind of kid that any parent would be very proud of!

Well, The Kid and the Retired Teacher got the two open positions. The Investment Banker has also been on some other boards and can be a loose cannon - I'm glad he didn't get elected.

But... I admit to having mixed feelings about someone who isn't out of school yet representing me.

On one hand, he knows a lot of the goings on in the school and would be a good advocate for the students.

On the other hand, he's never had a job, is going to be going through college while he's on the Board, and doesn't pay taxes.

So... I'm wondering if you've heard of something like this before? How would you feel about it?

chaz

when i was on the board we had a few students on the board

as advisors only

no vote

thier insight and vievpoints were interesting

but a vote?

gee i just don't know

but in hind seight there are probably more 18yo than i was then

Well, The Kid and the Retired Teacher got the two open positions. The Investment Banker has also been on some other boards and can be a loose cannon - I'm glad he didn't get elected.

But... I admit to having mixed feelings about someone who isn't out of school yet representing me.

On one hand, he knows a lot of the goings on in the school and would be a good advocate for the students.

On the other hand, he's never had a job, is going to be going through college while he's on the Board, and doesn't pay taxes.

So... I'm wondering if you've heard of something like this before? How would you feel about it?

I agree, the "Kid" probably has better insight to issues directly affecting students than some adults might have. His inexperience in tackling other school board issues should be minimized by his familiarity with the types of things he's heard over the years that he has attended meetings. Being an Eagle Scout should speak volumes about his character and his ability - depending on the quality of his Troop's leadership.

Attending board meetings over the years should have taught him practical "rules of order" and other such formalities, plus some familiarity with issues typically brought before the board. Also, the board is more than one person, so there is the team to address issues - and as long as the board can work together - and not be at odds - positive things can happen.

Around here, I think the only criteria for candidacy is to be a voter, be 18 yrs old, and have resided in the district you want to represent for at least a year. Also, depending on the population of your respective district, you may need a certain number of signatures on a petition for candidacy.

Out of curiosity, did the "retired teacher" have the "Kid" in any of her/his classes in previous years? If so, that might be an interesting dynamic.

Kudos to the "Kid"!

Per

Those "kids" who are interested and who are serious enough in their hearts and minds have uniquely dedicated and surprisingly solid points of view. I was amazed when I taught how those bright young lights could possibly know what they did, and make the "adult" decisions they did. I believe he will do an outstanding job in this position.

In this case, it's not as if he will be in a position to act alone, he's not the mayor, but he will be one of a number of people who will investigate and deliberate on issues pertaining to education and the running of the school. And please don't forget, younger minds are so much more agile than aging ones.

I hope this well rounded young man continues to serve the public in a variety of ways because he will be quite a leader in years to come as he gains more experience. I'm glad the town recognized his qualities.

Our local town meeting to vote on warrant articles and local gov't positions took place yesterday.

Specifically, there were two open positions for the school board and three people were running for the positions. One candidate is a retired teacher, one candidate is a retired investment banker, and one candidate is an 18 year old senior in high school - I'll call him "The Kid"...

The Kid had been at every school board meeting I can remember (I work for the school board - I shoot the video for public access TV and write the meeting minutes). He's an Eagle Scout, active in various volunteer projects, president of his class, etc. - you get the idea. He's the kind of kid that any parent would be very proud of!

I've heard of 18 year olds RUNNING for school board before... not getting elected however.

Similar, but not quite as much of a long shot, I've seen 20somethings win small town mayoral races. A former mayor of Nogales, AZ was just out of college, definitely under 30 when he got elected. He had been in a unique program while at the University of AZ specializing in international studies. Nogales is on the AZ/Mexico border. He did a good job.

Most people, rightfully so, would be reluctant to elect an 18 year old to a school board position. It sounds like the community perception of the third candidate as a loose cannon may have put the 18 yo over the top.

But since he's been to all the board meetings, if he's paid attention, and if he can intelligently discuss relevant issues, it could be that he's a natural for political involvement. Still, he'll need a (at least one) wise mentor, or he's going to still have a hard time keeping himself above water.

Here in Michigan, Hillsdale I think, an 18 year old was elected Mayor!

I am a board member of the school my kids attend. I think it would be very interesting to have a student on the board. Good or bad would depend on the student. My concern is that idealism would overrule common sense and/or practicality.

Edited by Abigail

Could be a good thing, Chas!

2 out of 3 match up with most high level career politicians, so he's off to a good start! :biglaugh:

Better one kid like that than 4 adult women with various personality disorders that finagle their way onto a school board, take it over, and turn a school system upside down by putting the superintendent on administrative leave over personality conflicts.

http://www.wesupportwilliams.com