GreaseSpot Cafe

father i lift unto you

coolchef

It only becomes a problem IMO, if it is taught somehow as being a necessary form of prayer; ie, you must say "lift up" when you pray. That would be wrong.

Presumably you won't get much argument against that statement. certainly not from me. Thou Must Pray With These Words blocks anything that comes from the heart IMO. In fact, the same would be true IMO if one would say that you CANNOT use this method of prayer. To reference ChasUFarley's post, the term certainly is not "religious crap", but this or anything...including the Lord's Prayer for example...can become as such to anyone who feels that it was shoved down their throats. I think there are some people around GS to whom even the Bible can seem as such for the above reason.

Edited by Lifted Up

was this just another vp scam or is there and basis too it?

Who said this was a vpw-ism?

You'd be hard pressed to find a Christian sect that has a problem with this expression. If it's a scam for VPW to use it, it's gotta be a scam for every single other church that uses the exact same phrase.

Am I missing something?

Personally, I don't see a problem with someone "lifting" their cares and concerns up to God and putting them in His hands.

It just seems, to me anyway, that once you give them to God, He's not going to drop them or give them back.

That's why it makes sense to "lift" something the first time and subsequently "pray" about it.

Maybe that's where the phrase, "It's out of my hands now." originated.(But probably not :) )

Hence, a "lift list" makes sense for first time items but is really a "prayer" list thereafter.

With that said, I think for many people, it's really just a matter of semantics (and habit) and may or may not be an indication of the true nature and essence of their prayer.

As always----Just my opinion

Edited by waysider

Yea, you can tell how old we are by the commercials we remember.

That's right, Lifted. I officially joined the ranks of the old two weeks ago. I hear you thinking, "Gee, Sushi, how did you officially join the fold of the old?" Well, I'll tell you.

I pulled a muscle in my side a couple of weeks ago. "But Sushi, that doesn't qualify you for membership in AARP". It is not that I pulled a muscle in my side. It is HOW I did it.

I was working and in the process of doing my job, I had to bend over in an untoward position. It was then I SNEEZED. Yes, folks, I pulled a muscle in my side by sneezing. My AARP card magically appeared in my hands. I now qualify for discounts all over the country for things like lodging, airfare, etc.

That's right, Lifted. I officially joined the ranks of the old two weeks ago. I hear you thinking, "Gee, Sushi, how did you officially join the fold of the old?" Well, I'll tell you.

I pulled a muscle in my side a couple of weeks ago. "But Sushi, that doesn't qualify you for membership in AARP". It is not that I pulled a muscle in my side. It is HOW I did it.

I was working and in the process of doing my job, I had to bend over in an untoward position. It was then I SNEEZED. Yes, folks, I pulled a muscle in my side by sneezing. My AARP card magically appeared in my hands. I now qualify for discounts all over the country for things like lodging, airfare, etc.

Sooooooo--------

Are you suggesting then that one can injure ones self by "lifting"?

Now that's nothing to sneeze at!

• 2 weeks later...