GreaseSpot Cafe

Unabashed Plug

GeorgeStGeorge

The Greasespot Gallery and Reading Room has, among other things, a number of game threads that really could use some fresh "blood." If you're fairly new to Greasespot Cafe (or even if you've been around for years but just haven't ventured down that way), we'd love to have you join us. There are three major categories:

1.) "Name That..." In these threads a line from a movie, TV show or Star Trek episode is given, and the other players guess which movie, etc., it is. The correct answerer gets to post the next clue. These are intended to be memory games, not tests of web-searching skill, so "googling" the clue for the answer is not allowed. (To make sure that the quotes are accurate, it's okay for the clue-poster to google.)

2.) "Pictionary" In these threads, the title of a movie or TV show is posted as a picture puzzle. For instance, "I Spy" might use a picture of an eye and a picture of a spy, although a cleverer poster might use a picture of ice and a picture of pie. (ICE PIE = I SPY.) Again, the correct guesser gets to post the next puzzle. If you're not sure how to post pictures from the internet, I've posted instructions on p. 22 of the Movie Pictionary thread.

3.) "The Nostalgia Thread" is in a class by itself. It's primarily an open forum for discussing old movies and TV shows, but often, Sudo, Bluzeman, or another poster with access to a server will post a snippet of a movie theme, commercial, or the like and have the others guess. In this thread, though, it's considered better form to give hints that show you know the answer than to give the answer away (at least immediately). For instance, if the clip is from "Laugh-In," posters will drop hints like "Say Goodnight Dick" or "You bet your bippy" until it's decided that everybody knows the answer. Other types of puzzles (e.g., pictorial clues) are also fine.

Please come by and check out the game threads!

George

GsGeorge --- I'd love to help out, but I don't watch tv.

I make it a point to stay away from movies.

Even though (I hear) Star Wars is 30 years old now,

I have never seen even ONE of them.

I've looked at the thread in question,

and have been amused by the posts and responses.

I could add nothing there, but thanks for the invite.

:)

Now -- if there was a thread about the Flatt run,

or Scruggs style versus Keith style -- I would jump in on that one!

;)

I'm with David on this one. I don't have a TV, so wouldn't have any idea what was being talked about in there.

Now computer games are another story. I have tons of them, personally finding games much more fun than TV. I like the interaction, the eye/hand coordination they build and with games I'm *doing* something, not just sitting and vegging out watching a screen. TV is fun once in a long while at friends houses, but games win out here and extra money is saved up and goes to new computer upgrades and games when they are released.

You can still participate in "Name That Tune", unless you don't listen to music.

Not really. (But again -- thanks for the invite). :)

I could participate if songs from groups like Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver,

, New Grass Revival, etc., were mentioned ---

but I have yet to see a listing there with one of those artist's songs.

I got *hijacked* from *Top Pop* radio back in the early 1970's, when I got turned on to Bluegrass.

I listen to music all the time -- but it's not the music discussed in *Name That Tune".

Not that *yours* is bad, and *mine* is good ---

There's a chasm there that can't be breached.

Here's a tune for you to name ---

jerusalem.jpg

BridgerRidge.jpeg

Two words -- VERY famous fiddle tune written by BXXX XXXXXE

(At least for some of us afficianados -- sp?).

So -- name that tune. (or don't you listen to music??)

(edited to add links above)

Edited by dmiller

Well, Mr miller, you've gone and done it now. You've invented yet another game.

So far, name that tune has been played by posting a snippet of the lyrics.

This is more like the pictionary games.

I kinda like it.

I can't post pictures yet but I think it is a pretty cool twist for name that tune.

Now-----What to call it----"Pictionuney"? I think not.

Oh, I forgot the Triple Movie Links game: If the last post ended in an actor, you give another film he's been in, then another actor in that film, then another film the second actor is in. If the last post ended in a film, you give another actor in the film, then another film he's been in, then another actor, etc. For example, if the last post was

Roger Moore

Octopussy

Maud Adams

then the next post could be

Tattoo

Bruce Dern

Silent Running

George

Not really. (But again -- thanks for the invite). :)

Here's a tune for you to name ---

jerusalem.jpg

BridgerRidge.jpeg

Two words -- VERY famous fiddle tune written by BXXX XXXXXE

(At least for some of us afficianados -- sp?).

So -- name that tune. (or don't you listen to music??)

(edited to add links above)

That's a pic of Jerusalem, and a ridge.

As in

Given the video I found with the mandolin picker's *towel* tucked in his rear pocket,

it might've been called *The toilet paper trailing from my behind ---*

Or something!! :biglaugh:

Sitting On Top Of the World

I heard that one just this morning on the radio.

It was done by a string band from the 1920s called "The Mississippi Sheiks".

Their band's name was inspired by the Rudolph Valentino movie "The Sheik".

I guess that one pre-dates both the blues AND bluegrass. (at least in the sense that we think of them)