GreaseSpot Cafe

Sleep Apnea

Nottawayfer

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I haven't slept well for a couple of years now. About 6 months ago, I started getting terrible tension headaches. I suspected I had sleep apnea (I've gained marital bliss weight). I went for a sleep study and found that the first few hours I stop breathing 18 times per hour. When I get to REM sleep, I stopped breathing up to 50 times per hour. No wonder I feel like crap.

I just got a CPAP machine yesterday. It's weird and will take some getting used to, but I am thankful it is a way to help the situation until I get my weight down, which I am hoping will alleviate the apnea and need for the CPAP machine.

Hi Notta:

I have a related condition called hypopnea. I don't stop breathing completely while sleeping, but I breathe so shallowly that my oxygen levels drop below where they should be.

I've been using my CPAP machine for about 3 weeks now. It's annoying sometimes, but I have more energy during the day so it's worth it. It's also beneficial for keeping the blood pressure down, and your heart doesn't have to work so hard. My doctor said it can even help with weight loss, because chronic fatigue leads to overeating in an attempt to boost energy.

You'll get used to it, I'm sure. I'm glad you got diagnosed.

I think the difference is that a BiPap has a different level of pressure for exhaling than for inhaling, while a CPAP maintains constant pressure for both.

My respiratory therapist said most insurance companies won't pay for a BiPap unless the CPAP is unsuccessful; apparently the BiPaps are more expensive. I don't think the pressure is set very high on mine, so I tolerate the air pressure fine. It's just the mask that drives me nuts.

I'm working on 4 years on my machine.

I haven't used it a lot lately need a new mask.

4 years and it's still a peace of crap.

Does anyone ever get comfortable with it?

In my 7 hours of study I stoped 168 times

6 for over 2 minutes.

Better than dead I guess.

I always feel sleep deprived.

:wave: Hi Danny!

The company that set me up with my machine replaces the mask every 3 months. When I get my replacement I'm going to try the "nasal pillows" style--it's tiny compared to the mask and fits just barely inside the nostrils. There's nothing pressing on your face, which is what bugs me. Maybe that would make yours more comfy. My mom switched to the nasal pillow thingy and likes it much better than the mask.

I got the nasal pillows. I don't have anything to compare it to, so I guess it is OK. It didn't bug me horribly, but it's still not natural to have a hose connected to your face. The other "mask" they demonstrated on me yesterday was one that just went over your whole nose area. I think the nasal pillow one has a tendency to lose air around your nose if you lay on your side with your face smooshed too much in to your pillow.

We'll see how well I start feeling. I was draggin @$$ big time because of this. I felt depression, tension headaches, fog, exhaustion, and loss of sex drive (which is just not like me). <_<

My husband said I didn't snore at all and didn't move at all during the night. I usually ended up pushing him to the edge of the bed and then turn my head toward him so I snore in his ear (but not on purpose!) So I am sure he will be happy with improvement in some categories of my life. :)

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I haven't slept well for a couple of years now. About 6 months ago, I started getting terrible tension headaches. I suspected I had sleep apnea (I've gained marital bliss weight). I went for a sleep study and found that the first few hours I stop breathing 18 times per hour. When I get to REM sleep, I stopped breathing up to 50 times per hour. No wonder I feel like crap.

I just got a CPAP machine yesterday. It's weird and will take some getting used to, but I am thankful it is a way to help the situation until I get my weight down, which I am hoping will alleviate the apnea and need for the CPAP machine.

I tried the CPAP one night and the next day made the appointment for the surgery. I said that I am not going to be tied to an electrical device for the rest of my life. So I had the septum undeviated, the uvula yanked, and the tongue extended. I started getting rest at night after that. (Before, I'd sleep for 12 hours and still be tired)

Took a month for all the healing to be done, but it was a good move all in all. And it was about 6 years ago.

I've never been a victim of sleep apnea but have a relative who does and a couple of others I know. Seems the one common denominator is that the sufferer snores like a Harley! My relative uses a CPAP I think, it's this big machine that hums and is attached to a mask over her face. I don't know if she is still using it since she has lost a good bit of weight.

However, the other two folks I knew were NOT overweight. One guy was our next to last twig leader in Washington. We went out camping one night, and he slept in in their tent. You could hear him snore all over the place, and also hear him stop breathing for extended periods of time. I mentioned it to his wife, who thought it was funny. It is not and I hope he got medical assistance.

It's not only tiring, my understanding is it's very hard on your heart and lungs and can cause problems with them in the long run. So keep up the treatments, guys, even if the machine bugs you at first. Thank God you got the machine and stuff to help you.

WG

Yea i have it, wake up tired all the time, I tried the O2 tanks but after getting tangled up in all that rigamarole said no thanks- so Ive been just marching on as best as possible-- I was unaware of any surgery that could be done ( as Mark said) I'll talk to my doc about that one, that might work Im not a big fan of machinery

I was surprised that I didn't feel like I was getting tangled up with the hose attached to my nose and the machine. It could have been a lot worse. When I had my sleep study, that was the WORST sleep I EVER had. My doctor wanted to do another sleep study to determin tritation (sp?). I said NO! He said OK and gave me an adjustable machine. It goes from 5-15, depending on my need for increased air flow. I'm sure I will get used to it (especially when I start to feel like it is doing it's job.)

I don't have a deviated septum, so surgery wasn't even one of the options the doc gave me. Besides, as much as I dislike being cut up and sewed back together, I'd rather use the machine forever, if necessary.

MStar, the hose on the CPAP machine is so flexible that I usually don't notice it's there. I wish you'd give treatment another try, because sleep apnea has a lot of adverse effects on your body.

Edited by Linda Z

...and its soo oo o o sexy.....

actually they never gave me that CPAP machine ( is that the one that makes you look like Lloyd Bridges on SeaHunt?), they prescribed the O2 which was a series of hoses that I always seemed to wake up being strangled by...but at least I could breathe!

Yea I know Linda---I'll make another appointment with the sleep guy and figure out plan B

I tried the CPAP one night and the next day made the appointment for the surgery. I said that I am not going to be tied to an electrical device for the rest of my life. So I had the septum undeviated, the uvula yanked, and the tongue extended. I started getting rest at night after that. (Before, I'd sleep for 12 hours and still be tired)

Took a month for all the healing to be done, but it was a good move all in all. And it was about 6 years ago.

I had a septoplasty (septum undeviated) before they'd give me the machine. That surgery didn't do me any good. I've never heard of getting your tongue extended. Anyway, I'm more than 80 pounds lighter now than I was when I first started using the machine. And when I get another 50 or so pounds off, I probably won't need the machine anymore....

But my mother, who has some kind of sleep disorder(s) pretty much refuses to even consider using the machine also. She also tries to deny she's got problems with her sleep... can't make people accept solutions, I reckon.

It's not only tiring, my understanding is it's very hard on your heart and lungs and can cause problems with them in the long run. So keep up the treatments, guys, even if the machine bugs you at first. Thank God you got the machine and stuff to help you.

WG

I believe your understanding is quite correct. I have NO qualms about using the machine. I'd rather sleep than worry about looking goofy.

My grandfather had terrible sleep apnea almost his whole life. He lived until he was 87 and was healthy right up to that point. I don't know what symptoms he had. They didn't recognize sleep apnea at that time though. My dad said they used to hear him stop breathing when he was a kid. That was in the 40s.

For me, I would have gone nutz had I not gotten it taken care of. My quality of life has been absolutely terrible since getting tension headaches from it. My coping skills have gone down hill at a very rapid rate. Nobody at work likes me anymore. :biglaugh:

WHAT??? Sex life if OVER???? NO WAY!!!!

Just because you go to bed doesn't mean you HAVE to sleep! I only have to wear that thing when I sleep, not when I go to bed. :biglaugh:

Well, YOU don't have to go looking for a partner! Some of us ARE single at the moment.

Well, YOU don't have to go looking for a partner! Some of us ARE single at the moment.

Sorry Rocky. I don't mean to rub it in. I did my share as a single woman in her 30s though. That is almost any girl's worst nightmare. It makes her biological clock sound like the Notre Dame Bell.

If you do get hooked up again, just don't put your CPAP machine on before whoopie, OK? And wait at least 30 minutes before falling asleep after whoopie. We women know how you men are. :biglaugh:

I've used a C-PAP for just over 4 yrs. now, & am very used to it. At first I used the nose pillows, but didn't like stuff stuck in my nose, so went to the mask. One thing that helped a lot is a specially designed pillow for C-PAP wearers that are stomach-sleepers, which I am; I don't remember now who I ordered it from, but you could google it. I paid about $60 for the pillow & pillowcase & it is so worth it. Your head can be on the middle of the pillow & the mask will be over the edge instead of crammed up in your face by a standard pillow.

Happy sleeping!