GreaseSpot Cafe

Star Wars Trilogy

thankgodifinallywokeup

Some of you I'm sure know more about this. Yesterday I looked into buying all of the Star Wars videos. Then learned parts have been changed!

This isn't earth shattering but I'd rather have the version in which Hans Solo shot first and everything else is the same as the original version.

Has anyone here looked into getting the series?

If so where did you look besides used book stores and e-bay?

Some of you I'm sure know more about this. Yesterday I looked into buying all of the Star Wars videos. Then learned parts have been changed!

This isn't earth shattering but I'd rather have the version in which Hans Solo shot first and everything else is the same as the original version.

Has anyone here looked into getting the series?

If so where did you look besides used book stores and e-bay?

Less than a year ago, I heard they were releasing the ORIGINAL original trilogy,

with NONE of the changes that were made for the Special Editions.

While some of the changes were cosmetic (Empire Strikes Back's Cloud City, in backgrounds while

Lando, Han, Leia, Chewie walk, go from metal-walled corridors to some windows with vistas,

a few seconds added to Star Wars' Tatooine with animals and Jawas,

a musical number in Return of the Jedi with Jabba's house-band),

some changed story elements

(Greedo shoots and misses Han from about 3-5 feet away, and Greedo makes a living

shooting things,

"Blast it, Biggs, where are you?" becomes "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?",

and a lot of changes at the close of Return of the Jedi)

change the story, and some consider those negative changes.

Some of the cosmetic changes strike fans similarly- I dislike the unnecessary

changes to the Cantina in Star Wars, which just HAPPEN to excise the Shistavanen

from virtually all his screen-time.

Having said all of that,

I haven't looked into getting the original unchanged versions.

I know there was one advertised a year or so ago, but there seems to be some disagreement

as to how much was completely original and how much wasn't.

If I were looking for them, I'd probably look through Wookiepedia for links to follow up

on the releases.

Specifically, the links off of the article

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_cha...ars_re-releases

might help.

(Or they might not.)

You should ask me about this! When george lukas did redo a few sceans. especially after he did chapter 1,2 and 3. He explained

that that time when he did the frist 3 movies if he had the time and money it was closer to the vision that he wanted to do. The only thing I disgree with is when replaced the actor Mr shaw who was unmasked as vader with mr. christianson. The movies are about 98 intact.

Thanks, WordWolf. You must be the brain of gsc. Enjoyed the article immensely.

Interesting about the 3-D version coming out this year. So will we have to wear those funny little glasses like we did in Young Frankenstein and others?

nyunknown, so they changed the character in the vader suit? What's up with that? Very strange.

You can get the original at Barnes and Noble. We just bought it two days ago ourselves (we are Star Wars geeks in this house.) Husband confirms the accuracy of it being original. He is a Jedi, so he knows.

Click HERE.

May the Force be with you.

Also: probably be a good idea to actually pick this one up in the store and make sure you get the right one.

Edited by JavaJane

Thanks, WordWolf. You must be the brain of gsc. Enjoyed the article immensely.

No, just a trivia fan, and huge Star Wars fan back when the original trilogy was out.

(Nowadays, not so much, but I still like the trivia.)

Interesting about the 3-D version coming out this year. So will we have to wear those funny little glasses like we did in Young Frankenstein and others?
??? 3-D version?

Nevermind, I don't want to know.

nyunknown, so they changed the character in the vader suit? What's up with that? Very strange.

Not exactly.

Here's a breakdown on the Darth Vaders in the original trilogy.

-James Earl Jones.

He did the voice, and didn't wear the costume.

-David Prowse.

He wore the costume in almost all the scenes, and never did the voice.

-Bob Anderson.

He was the swordmaster on-set who taught lightsaber dueling,

and wore the Darth Vader armor in the dueling scenes.

(He was effectively a stunt/action double for Prowse in those scenes.)

-Sebastian Shaw.

He played the former-Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker, at the very end of

RotJ. Supposedly, Luke redeemed Anakin from the Dark Side, even though he

died afterwards. At the very end of the movie, we see the Force ghosts of

Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin, proving this happened. He appears as an older

gentleman not anything approaching Obi-Wan's age.

The most recent change Lucas made was to swap an image of Hayden Christensen

(exactly as he appears in Episode III:RotS) for Sebastian Shaw's image there.

My main problem with that is that he obviously would look older in SOME way.

If Lucas bothered to change it, he should have done a complete job and put some

makeup on him to make him look older in some way. Come on, that's Hollywood.

It's relatively EASY to age an actor with makeup and a wig. He even could have

done it with digital manipulation and just alter the image.

Instead, he made up excuses that said Anakin would look the same as when he

became Darth Vader. Even the casual fans find that an insufficient excuse.

Lucas has a bad habit of continually fiddling with movies that were already DONE.

Sorry, but I would think the 3-D version would be interesting in the right setting - like one of those UMAX theaters.

Personally, I'd rather have the newer version - the updated version. I can only imagine how awesome Star Wars would have been if it had come out after all the digital special effects were available that are at the fingertips of directors today. But Star Wars was produced in the mid-'70's and it's simply amazing how good the effects were then. The timing of the release of it was also very key to its success. I can't wait to share it with my boys!

Yes in the one made in 1983 it was mr. shaw the newer version the eyebrows were removed and looked more white and pale.lukas can do what he wants with his movies but I thought he should have aged advance mr. christianson to look in his late fourties or in his fifties or even sixties.for a man who did so much to ties up all the loose ends in all 6 movies I thought it was an oversite on his part.

...I thought he should have aged advance mr. christianson to look in his late fourties or in his fifties or even sixties.for a man who did so much to ties up all the loose ends in all 6 movies I thought it was an oversite on his part.

Well, here's another opinion.

Obi-Wan told Luke Darth Vader "murdered" Anakin Skywalker, from a certain point of view.

The end scene in Return of the Jedi showed Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin as Force entities, and depicted them as they were at the time of their death. So, from a certain point of view, you could say that was what Anakin Skywalker looked like at the time of his "death".

Of course, that doesn't take into account Darth Vader's redemptive act at the end of "Return" of destroying the Emperor and saving Luke and his friends. Was that enough to "turn him back" into Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight?

Well, here's another opinion.

Obi-Wan told Luke Darth Vader "murdered" Anakin Skywalker, from a certain point of view.

Of course, that doesn't take into account Darth Vader's redemptive act at the end of "Return" of destroying the Emperor and saving Luke and his friends. Was that enough to "turn him back" into Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight?

Good point!

I think it was if you contrast part 3 and part 6. Why did annkin turn to vader? What turn vader back to annkin? The sith lord sold him a bill of goods telling him if he tuirn to the dark side he could save his wife from death.The visions he had he loved his wife so much at the end of the 3. If he had let mace windue kill the sith lord.He could have prevented his wife from dying and not have that fight with ben kenobi.and the rebublic fell.At the end part 3. He realized he caused his own wifes death.He had no reason to turn back.Until he knew of his son's exitence. luke had a lot of reasons to turn to the dark side. But it was not enough to kill his own father. Yoda was a great teacher!

Anybody else see the Star Wars specials on the History Channel? Awesome stuff.

YES! I've seen them several times - I'm a special effects junkie. I get more out of the DVD's that come packaged with the movies than the movies themselves. For example, I have been BEGGIN' for the collectors' box set of LOTR for a couple of years now. I WANT all the special festures that come with it and think the WETA special effects studio is da' bomb. Ditto for the Star Wars special effects - only those were more "old school" but it's still ART. I would love love love to get into that line of work somehow... that or animation.... working for Pixar would be my other dream, but I digress...

Well, how about this? I get the old version per JavaJane at Barnes and Noble and the new version anywhere and play them back and forth and compare them?

;)

Sounds great to me - I'd love something like that!

• 2 weeks later...

-Sebastian Shaw.

He played the former-Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker, at the very end of RotJ. Supposedly, Luke redeemed Anakin from the Dark Side, even though he died afterwards. At the very end of the movie, we see the Force ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin, proving this happened. He appears as an older gentleman not anything approaching Obi-Wan's age.

The most recent change Lucas made was to swap an image of Hayden Christensen (exactly as he appears in Episode III:RotS) for Sebastian Shaw's image there. My main problem with that is that he obviously would look older in SOME way. ...

Even though we don't often share the same opinion on a number of things, those are also my sentiments as well. In R.o.t.S. Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan) is purposely made up to look more like the actor Alec Guiness who played Obi-Wan in A New Hope (episode 4) but Lucas neglected to make Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker in R.o.t.S.) to resemble the actor Sebastian Shaw. I also wondered about that. The only explanation I believe is one never sees Anakin Skywalker in episodes 4, 5, and 6 - we just see the evil Darth Vader - the man in the suit (yet Anakin is already a deformed human being underneath that suit) but his redemption back to the "light side" magically restores his youthful appearance.

The story of Anakin Skywalker goes (even as Darth Vader) is that he is still "The Chosen One" to restore peace to the galaxy, etc. - not Obi-Wan or any other Jedi. Likewise, Anakin (the Jedi) had a higher percentage of those "mitichlorians" in his blood than any other Jedi. It would lend credence to his ability to maintain and retain his youthful appearance and not age (or age as quickly) as say, Obi-Wan. That may be Lucas' take and the reason behind swaping the image of Sebasitan Shaw with that of Hayden Christensen at the end of episode 6.

The bigger problem I believe was replacing the human actor who originally played "Jabba the Hut" in episode 4 with that digitally created Slug. A better story plot for Jabba the Hut would have been to have something bad happened to "Jabba" that turned him from a human being into a Slug. With those high-tech inventions in Star Wars that would be plausible. It would also follow the original story plot in Star Wars. Being a smuggler himself, Jabba could have owed money to someone (or something). Jabba could have been depending on Han to "pay up" but Han's failure to "pay up" could be the cause of someone (or something) turning on Jabba and Jabba's "creditor" using Star Wars technology to change Jabba from a human being into a Slug as a form of revenge for not being able to pay his own debt. It would give further credence for Jabba the Hut seeking revenge on Han Solo in future Star Wars episodes.

Even after Lucas removes the human actor in episode 4 and puts in the digital Slug, Han makes this final remark to Jabba, "Your a wonderful human being, Jabba". Why would Han Solo call Jabba a human being if he were already a Slug? The team at ILM went through a lot of painstaking digital editing to remove the human actor (Han Solo even walks around Jabba the Hut so the film editors at ILM also have to digitally shift Han upwards as he walks around behind to make it appear as if he steps on his tail) yet they overlook and neglect to edit or change Han Solo's comment to Jabba at the end of the dialog - i.e. "You're a wonderful human being --- "? Unfortunately episode 1 of Star Wars shows Jabba the Hut as being a Slug already rather than a human at the pod race with young Anakin Skywalker. Lucas really messed up here and he missed a great opportunity to develop a more credible story plot for Jabba the Hut. He probably spent more $ doing it this way too - IMO.

Even though we don't often share the same opinion on a number of things, those are also my sentiments as well. In R.o.t.S. Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan) is purposely made up to look more like the actor Alec Guiness who played Obi-Wan in A New Hope (episode 4) but Lucas neglected to make Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker in R.o.t.S.) to resemble the actor Sebastian Shaw. I also wondered about that. The only explanation I believe is one never sees Anakin Skywalker in episodes 4, 5, and 6 - we just see the evil Darth Vader - the man in the suit (yet Anakin is already a deformed human being underneath that suit) but his redemption back to the "light side" magically restores his youthful appearance.

It's being careful and detailed in ONE place, and careless in another.

Lucas' changes are notorious for causing NEW problems for every one he CLAIMS to fix.

(Like "Han shoots first", where he edited in Greedo firing first, missing, then Han returning fire.

Greedo was a professional who used a blaster. He was shooting at a target less than 5 feet away.

He should have hit Han unless there was a barrier- he was holding his gun AIMED at Han.

But the new edit shows him missing Han completely at that range.

You or I would have drilled Han at that range, with a working pistol pointed at him.

It just strikes me as lack of thinking when he edited in Christensen without aging him.

The story of Anakin Skywalker goes (even as Darth Vader) is that he is still "The Chosen One" to restore peace to the galaxy, etc. - not Obi-Wan or any other Jedi. Likewise, Anakin (the Jedi) had a higher percentage of those "mitichlorians" in his blood than any other Jedi. It would lend credence to his ability to maintain and retain his youthful appearance and not age (or age as quickly) as say, Obi-Wan. That may be Lucas' take and the reason behind swaping the image of Sebasitan Shaw with that of Hayden Christensen at the end of episode 6.
Most of the fans aren't buying it, though.

Lucas forgets that the Star Wars legacy- its impact as a culture- means the public "owns" it

as much as Lucas who holds all the LEGAL rights to Star Wars. Fans feel they have invested

time, money, interest, etc into them, and that casual changes, in essence, rob them of some

of what they care about. Lucas forgets who made him a success-without a public, he'd just be

some schmuck trying to peddle his movies to studios who didn't care.

The bigger problem I believe was replacing the human actor who originally played "Jabba the Hut" in episode 4 with that digitally created Slug. A better story plot for Jabba the Hut would have been to have something bad happened to "Jabba" that turned him from a human being into a Slug. With those high-tech inventions in Star Wars that would be plausible. It would also follow the original story plot in Star Wars. Being a smuggler himself, Jabba could have owed money to someone (or something). Jabba could have been depending on Han to "pay up" but Han's failure to "pay up" could be the cause of someone (or something) turning on Jabba and Jabba's "creditor" using Star Wars technology to change Jabba from a human being into a Slug as a form of revenge for not being able to pay his own debt. It would give further credence for Jabba the Hut seeking revenge on Han Solo in future Star Wars episodes.

The problem with that was that Jabba was originally written as a nonhuman, just one that stood on two legs

like Chewbacca. (And the novelization made him a human, but that's the decision of the novelist.)

They had the human in the scene so that Harrison Ford had someone to react to.

(That's like when David Prowse would recite Darth Vader's lines so the other actors had them to react to,

and his voice was edited out in post-production.)

They just never had the money or technology to make Jabba what they wanted to make him,

in time for "Star Wars." A lot of effects were kludged together due to the budget or limitations of

special effects in the 1970s.

Jabba was a Hutt- Hutts weren't supposed to be human. The problem wasn't making Jabba inhuman-

it was making him completely slug-shaped with a dragging tail.

Jabba was angry at Han for the most simple of reasons- MONEY.

Han Solo had taken on a consignment of spice (glitterstim, for those who read the books)

smuggled off Kessel (the sole source of glitterstim, for those who read the books).

As explained in the Han AND Greedo scenes, Han dumped his cargo when Imperials caught his

ship and boarded it. Han got away due to there being no contraband on the ship (once he dumped

the spice.) Greedo lost money, and Han didn't rush to pay him back-since he didn't have the money

to pay him back until the end of Star Wars. At the beginning of Empire Strikes Back, Han is trying to

get back to Jabba to pay him back, especially since Greedo was right- Jabba had a high price on Han's

head, and going ANYWHERE was dangerous. As he said in Empire as he prepared to leave,

"That bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell changed my mind."

Even after Lucas removes the human actor in episode 4 and puts in the digital Slug, Han makes this final remark to Jabba, "Your a wonderful human being, Jabba". Why would Han Solo call Jabba a human being if he were already a Slug? The team at ILM went through a lot of painstaking digital editing to remove the human actor (Han Solo even walks around Jabba the Hut so the film editors at ILM also have to digitally shift Han upwards as he walks around behind to make it appear as if he steps on his tail) yet they overlook and neglect to edit or change Han Solo's comment to Jabba at the end of the dialog - i.e. "You're a wonderful human being --- "? Unfortunately episode 1 of Star Wars shows Jabba the Hut as being a Slug already rather than a human at the pod race with young Anakin Skywalker. Lucas really messed up here and he missed a great opportunity to develop a more credible story plot for Jabba the Hut. He probably spent more $ doing it this way too - IMO.

It was a figure of speech, and for a Hutt (not a human), it's a subtle insult as well, since he's NOT a human being.

A number of times, characters speak less than literally with similar expressions.

In the novel "the Krytos Trap", Twi'lek lawyer Nawara Ven is cross-examining someone on the witness stand.

"Have you ever known him to make an error?"

"Well, he's only human."

"Perhaps you can clarify that for those of us who are not human."

"Um, I mean, yes, he did make mistakes."

Han's dialogue is actually more problematic when he is first introduced.

That's when he calls Imperial-class Star Destroyers "Cruisers", and specifies them as

"Corellian" ships, when Corellia's shipyards don't produce Star Destroyers OR Cruisers-

they make smaller ships, and are more suited for reconstruction than construction,

and never involve any but the smaller capital ships.

Han should have known that, since he's FROM Corellia.

He also was there long enough to earn the Corellian Bloodstripe in the Imperial military.