GreaseSpot Cafe

A night at the opera

Bumpy

Greetings from La belle France where the sun is trying to shine! I thought the below link might make some of you smile? This video makes me wonder what each of us has been given as a talent(s) but because time in our youth was poorly invested or we had to wear a hat at work to get by for the money, that talent never surfaced all the way.

All the Best

Wow - that was very cool! I couldn't decide before it started if the guy would actually be able to pull it off - that was wonderful!

I've always wanted to go to France - I'm glad for you that you're there.

All the best to you too, Bumpy!

Bumpy,

I declare.. you're a true music lover as am I. Though I've never been to France, I'm envious and hope you are having the time of your life. Here's a Mozart piece that few here will see because most Americans shun opera like the plague. But Click HERE! and listen to Confutatis with a short introduction.

Its by a group called Las Rubias del Norte. I think Raf could give us a translation but it has to do with blonds from the North :biglaugh: . I heard it on NPR and went and downloaded it from NPR's web site. Now tell me this isn't moving music!!

Here's the Latin and English translation:

Confutatis maledictis (When the damned shall be cast down)

Flammis acribus addictis (Into the searing flames)

Voca me cum benedictis (Call me with the blessed)

Confutatis maledictis (When the damned shall be cast down)

Gere curam mei finis (Help me in my final hour)

sudo (realizing he is among the few who appreciate classical)

First, I'm happy as heck to "see" you here, Bumpy. I've missed your posts, and I hope you're having some lovely R&R in France.

I loved the video, and it brought tears to my eyes. It was a combination of "average guy shows 'em" happy tears and just being moved by the guy's obvious love for music. Anybody who can get a positive comment from both Simon AND Piers can be really proud.

Bravo.

:offtopic: One of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies is the one in Moonstruck where Cher hears opera sung for the first time and is moved to tears by the music without being able to understand the words. Too cool.

Edited by Linda Z

This aria just makes me weak in the knees.....

That this man has gotten his big break - well that just makes it all the better.......

*still wiping my eyes*

Edited by doojable

Classical music works quite well for me after driving over km 10,000 from Senegal through to Sweden and back to France (3,400 km in West Africa). We live on the west wing of the link below, next door to the resident ghost who is preferential to violins! Music floats through old buildings like these with candle light and Burgundy wine adding to the evening.

Bourbon is the department 03, and dinner tonight is the Charolais beef and whatever else you want!

Bump

www.grandmonceau.com