GreaseSpot Cafe

"Behold now behemoth. . . "

Job 40:15 (KJV)

Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron

19 He is the chief of the ways of GOD: He that made him can make His sword to approach unto him.

20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan in his mouth.

24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

What is being described here? Bullinger seems to think a hippopotamus. I don't think so, "his tail like a cedar tree" makes me doubt that.

Here's a cedar tree: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1147440242039295893SofFuu

Here's a hippo: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...=image&cd=1

A crocodile then? No. It eats grass.

Some speculate it's a sauropod: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauropod

Any thoughts?

Sorry , Bolshivick, but as far as I know trees don't move, they are stationary, except for the wind moving their limbs. Ceders kind of rustle, they are similar to a pine tree in shape. I don't know an animal with a tail like that that eats grass. Maybe a cow?

I would think it's not an animal but about some aspect of a person or people in general.

Or a place in the mind that is experienced.

Just as all the bible is descriptive of aspects of man, spirit, soul, body, mind.

Well many parts of it, the bible..in fact most of it imo.

"Hidden among the reeds in the marsh" - I tend to go with crocadile - a serpent of some kind. Its a critter God loves - only he can control it. In Gen. he talks about the serpent, something God made that he loved. Satan clothed himself, or used a serpent, one of God's beloved creatures to cause the fall.

I tend to go with some kind of serpent. An alligator or crock has the powerful tail.

Or, maybe here in Job, God has gone back in time and is talking about the dinosaur.

We know in Gen. 1:1 - all creation was perfect.

then the fall.

Gen. 1:2, God reforms it, but it is now only "good."

Peter talks about the "third heaven and earth" to come. We are in the second.

Many times the OT prophets would segue into past or future.

Why could it not be a dinosaur, a denizen of the first earth, and not the second, of which we are now living.

Every time I've read that, it really seems like a brontosaurus he's describing.

Edited by Sunesis

I would say probably because vp told us so..

but "obviously(?)" it was a beast of sorts that was known to Job.

If no animal can be found today which matches the description.. is it possible that it is extinct?

These kind of accounts are only difficult to figure out if you hold to the idea that Almigty God is the sole author, and that the Bible is inherently and inerrently accurate.

Once you give up on that bit of baseless superstition, all the "difficult passages" become very easy to explain.

These kind of accounts are only difficult to figure out if you hold to the idea that Almigty God is the sole author, and that the Bible is inherently and inerrently accurate.

Once you give up on that bit of baseless superstition, all the "difficult passages" become very easy to explain.

You could look at the Bible as an old book. I've been told Job is the oldest part. Far as I know, lots of older cultures that were not influenced by the Bible describe creatures that are different to our minds.

I really think young earth creationists are out to lunch. I do not believe dinosaurs roamed the earth with man. Man would have been constantly hiding - don't want to be lunch for a T-Rex. They could have never built their civilizations with dinos running around.

Hippo sounds good, or croc. Maybe elephant. Whatever it is, its big!

I really think young earth creationists are out to lunch. I do not believe dinosaurs roamed the earth with man. Man would have been constantly hiding - don't want to be lunch for a T-Rex. They could have never built their civilizations with dinos running around.

Hippo sounds good, or croc. Maybe elephant. Whatever it is, its big!

1. Last I checked T-Rex is considered to have been a scavenger.

2. Whenever humans and animals encounter each other, humans ultimately win.

3. The gorilla and the coelacanth were once just rumors.

4. I kinda wanted to just point out the evolutionists belief about what the tail represents. A giant penis. :biglaugh: Not only are the evolutionists the self-proclaimed experts in science, but experts of the Bible too. I thought the penis stuff was funny.