GreaseSpot Cafe

What Would Jesus Weigh ?

excathedra

What Would Jesus Weigh?

By Molly McCall

Wed, August 01, 2007, 6:00 am PDT

You've heard of faith-based initiatives. Now, perk up your ears and put down your fork. Faith-based weight loss is drawing converts in Buzz.

The Weigh Down Workshop looks to the lessons of the Bible to reduce waistlines and trim thighs. The program, which was designed by nutritionist Gwen Shamblin, has been around for years, but it recently found a praise-worthy (and media-friendly) parable in Maggie and Andy Sorrells. The Tennessee couple once jointly tipped the scale at nearly 1,000 pounds. They've lost more than half that heavy load by following the Weigh Down way.

Since news agencies picked up the Sorrells' success story, buzz for the Good Book-inspired diet, program, and workshop has surged. The Weigh Down regime doesn't yet have the mainstream caché of Weight Watchers or Atkins, but it draws the same demographic interest: Middle-aged women account for the majority of searches and the South logs the most fervent interest.

In this case, the Sorrells' home state of Tennessee tops the list of areas searching for fat-shedding salvation. Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi follow closely behind. In a land of milk and honey-fried temptation, it takes a lot of faith to resist seconds.

http://www.weighdown.com/

has anyone taken the class ??? :)

“Has anyone taken THE class”!

Now ~Ex~ you already know we’ve ALL been through that here! Have you forgotten already the benefits you were taught?

No snacks during any sessions, especially sit sessions!, no ice cream after corps meals if your plate hasn’t been cleaned. And do not plagiarize the menu...of any past or future sessions of your twi foundational menu recipe(s)!

As for waydown.com, it’s on my list of things to do! :dance:

Of course now the question becomes, "What brand would Jesus smoke?"

"Pimps" of course. (For those less street savy that's "Newports". They are called "pimps")

Now wait - - -just a cotton-picking' minute!!! Just because we got took by a class that rooked us eventually does not mean that all classes will do this.

I spent some time exploring the website and there are many true statements made there NOT just Biblical ones. For example diets which are so hard to follow and leave you hungry set you up to feel like a failure eventually....or words to that effect. It's true that eating very little does not help you lose weight. Your body goes into starvation mode and it uses everything you eat differently. Add up you total calories per day ( 15 cal peer pound of your present body weight) that's what you need to maintain yourself today. Cut that by 15 - 20% and eat good foods from all food groups. You want a piece of apple pie, eat a s-m-a-l-l piece.

Get your "booty" moving. Walk. Do something. Do your housework to jazz. Vacuum in double time! Take the stairs. In a month, weigh yourself again and eat 75-80% of the required caloried.....you will lose weight and you can learn to control your hunger, but if you eat good quality foods, get those veggies in you - - etc.....

The first section of this class deals with changing your thoughts on food.....by using God! You can do that....which one of us has not prayed for help with something.

I have been doing what I described above and I have lost a little weight. However, I must take a form of cortisone and that is hellish on diets...usually people on cortisone gain weight. So suppose it takes me more than a year to lose the 40 pound I want to lose....I'll be here in a year! I can do that!

Now I also know that making fun of stuff like this is fun. And I enjoyed your fol-de-rol - and would have chimed in with something of my own. I just posted this because just because we see a class doesn't mean we should get on the defensive...maybe there is value...look for the value. I'll bet that if you guys had poked around the website a little, you may have posed something different....but it still would be funny. 'Cause that's the way we are at the GSC - - we poke fun - sometimes not too good naturedly - - at stuff that looks like the krapp we came out of.

off soap box now....but looking for more funny stuff

I'd offer him one of these - like heaven on earth for a cigarette.

59.gif

Or, if you're into "beautiful" cigarettes, puff on one of these

Nat_sherman_fantasias.jpg

As for diets, I like the "Dr. Laura Diet" - Eat less, move more.

Ta ta for now!

Suda

I'll pass---No class for me thanks... :)

I would imagine 40 day fasts and all that walking would keep anyone pretty trim though.

Jesus used a substitute for his food cravings

smoking_jesus.gif

Krys --- Hehehe!!! I was (mainly) responding to Mstar. :)

(Had to clean BOTH the screen AND the keyboard when I saw the above!)

:biglaugh:

Lessee, Jesus was a tall skinny guy with long hair. Blonde. A cross between Bucky Covington and James Taylor, definitely would have liked BBQ, but with a natural metabolism that would burn up fat calories quickly. ("that son of a gun can eat and eat and eat and never gain a pound!")

In much the same way we see Harry Callahan in the old Dirty Harry flicks about to eat a hot dog or sandwich but just before he takes a bite he has to stop and shoot someone, Jesus probably never had time to eat much. Some fish, some bread, a little wine to wash it down. Probably invented the Personal Pita. Ate lots of Power Lunches but always had a nutritious breakfast. Mary would have raised Him to know that. ("It's the most important meal of the day, the Pharisees will still be there, eat!")

Exercise - fuggedaboudit. Jesus invented the Walking Plan. Walked everywhere. What're we doing today Jesus? Walking. Best exercise you can get. Plus, He was a Carpenter, right? Plenty of hands-on work there. Tanned and toned.

Plus He was tall, so if he gained a few here and there He carried it well. And robes are forgiving, either way.

I'd guess about 170, give or take.

Edited by socks