GreaseSpot Cafe

Somebody knows

YID

OK!

I live in San Antonio. It's just south of the Hill Country (where Willie Nelson called home). There is a unique beauty in the hill country. The hills will be green during the day but at sunrise and sunset, they turn a unique bluegreen that can take your breath away. Peppered in it all is the Cedar tree.

The Cedar tree is the only tree in the world that pollenates in the winter. When it does, you can take a 2x4 board and hit the trunk and all the pollen falls like snow. It's a sight to see.

Especially if you are allergic to it. Immediately, your sinus cavity fills with mucus. Your breathing becomes labored and in my case, I sneeze like a comedian.........only it's not funny. I can end up blowin' 'stuff' clear across the room. It's very embarassing and inconvenient.

The season is only from the 1st week or 10 days of December to the first week or 10 days of February.

I need to find a place with no Cedar trees north of it. Preferably close to Texas where I can stay for 2 months during Cedar Season.

Is there such a place (besides the West Coast) in the U.S.A.? I'm thinking that Cedar is all over the south. Is it in Atlanta? The Carolina's, Nebraska or even New Mexico?

Somebody knows where there is and isn't Cedar.

South eastern New Mexico in the vicinity of the Sacramento Mts and northward toward Capitan DOES have cedar. It's prime cedar territory although there aren't that many cedar trees there. I do know what you mean about "sinus hell". When I lived there, the ONLY pollen that bothered me was that - - and I have a laundry list of east coast trees to which I am allergic.

The only cedar trees I've seen in Ohio are the ones people have planted, usually in cemeteries.

We do however have a lot of other sneeze-causing stuff. Right now the empty field next to us is full of goldenrod and I am sneezing, coughing and producing grunge out of my sinus cavities at a great rate. I ran out of Zyrtec.

Which brings me to second the motion posted by Waysider. A good doctor could probably find something to help. Zyrtec is the only thing that helps me, but there are lots of others out there. I should warm you also that Zyrtec is expensive, the copay even is expensive. But it's worth it, at least to me.

WG

Hey YID I didn't know anyone lived close. I live up in Kerrville in the middle of those trees. Yes it is cedar fever. Yes everyone needs to know that you can actually run a fever from it.

I do several things to lessen the problem. The first is I take a Claritan every day starting well before the season. Next I take two ester C vitamins every day. Next a GOOD filter for the house a/c system.

One thing to note is that the trees usually release the pollen on warm days. A warm day in January its best to stay inside. The trees will turn red with the pollin. THey will then release it all at one time. It almost looks like smoke rising from the tree.

This year with all the rain we got its going to be bad. Good luck with avoiding the problem.