GreaseSpot Cafe

Illini football

GeorgeStGeorge

Following Illinois' games this year, it occured to me that the Illini could probably beat any team in the nation as long as they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. As opposed to the Missouri and Iowa games, where the Illini lost the ball via interceptions on potentially winning drives, and the Michigan game, where they committed three personal fouls and muffed a punt all in the fourth quarter, they beat Ohio State with essentially flawless football (no turnovers, only one ten-yard penalty). And the Illini defense held it by making three interceptions.

GO, ILLINI!

GO, ILLINI!

George

P.S. I still miss the Chief.

Gee, even Nortwestern scored more points against Illinois than Ohio State did. ;)

It appears that Illinois might get to play in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day. Not bad for a team that hadn't won nine games in its LAST FOR SEASONS!!

poor Ohio state ... dropped to #7 ...

quite a year for the Illini ... beat Wisconsin when they were ranked #5 ... then whom ... Michigan when they were 21 or so? or was it Penn State ...

anyway ... didn't chem doctorates at least learn to spell their numbers? Just hasseling you after a recent conversation on common spelling mistakes ... :o

• 3 weeks later...

Withe the Buckeyes headed to the championship game, the Illini are going to the Rose Bowl for the first time in over twenty years! (Illinois did win the Big Ten in 2000, but went to the Sugar Bowl because the 2001 Rose Bowl was that year's national championship game.) I expect a good game, certainly not the 45-9 drubbing we recieved from UCLA back in '84!

George

Withe the Buckeyes headed to the championship game, the Illini are going to the Rose Bowl for the first time in over twenty years! (Illinois did win the Big Ten in 2000, but went to the Sugar Bowl because the 2001 Rose Bowl was that year's national championship game.) I expect a good game, certainly not the 45-9 drubbing we recieved from UCLA back in '84!

George

I heard the other team is going to have an ample supply of TROJANS... perhaps because they expect to get sca-rewed on New Years' Day? :blink:

• 5 weeks later...

Well, THAT was unpleasant!

USC played a great game. Even if all the goofy ball hops hadn't gone their way, and if the Illini hadn't fumbled the ball twice inside the USC 5, Southern Cal would probably have won. It should have been a lot closer, though.

It's a long wait until next season, but at least I have something to look forward to, unlike the last few years. I think the Illini will have lost the element of surprise, though. :rolleyes:

George

I'm an old big-ten guy so it's hard to like USC. They're a good team though.

Had to root for the illini. Well, they probably will be better next year anyway. I'm fairly certain they'll be better than the Gophers.

Edited by JeffSjo