GreaseSpot Cafe

songs remembered from just one line

bulwinkl

3 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

That's close enough.  I get that you get it WordWolf by the Weird Al version of ~The Kinks~ Lola.  La La La La 

Lola.

Hey, if you know the original by The Kinks, you know how to sing the "Yoda" parody.

BTW,

there's this story that goes around about Ray Davies. Supposedly, he's the reason the band got that nickname.  He was kicked out of his house by his grandmother (mother?) "for being a kink" after she came home early one day, and found him in bed with a girl, and another girl, and ANOTHER girl.   (All of them were in high school including Ray D.)

Ray Davies said he has no idea where stories like this come from, and that it's not the least bit true. 

Next song.

"Uno, dos, tres, catorce!"

---------------------------------------

One game show (Repo Games) once mentioned this opening line (and this song) and then asked what "catorce" means in English.  I began laughing because I'd never really thought about it.  The line translates as "One, two, three, fourteen!"  Naturally, the contestant guessed "four" and got it wrong. 

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Similar to the opening of Wooly Bully, but not it.

George

It is indeed similar to the opening of Wooly Bully, but is a different song.  (I was thinking of doing that song next, but obviously I'm not going to, now. :)  )

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Wooly Bully

Hello, hello? George already gave that name, so he would have gotten it, if it was correct. (I would have counted it.)  It's still not that song. it's a lot more recent, but it's not from the last few years.

Edited by WordWolf

22 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Hello, hello? George already gave that name, so he would have gotten it, if it was correct. (I would have counted it.)  It's still not that song. it's a lot more recent, but it's not from the last few years.

Yeah, I got that.  I'm better when sign language is used instead of HEllo Hello.  I just didn't read his post.

I know how you feel.  Sometimes, I learn later the names of some groups whom I have been listening to for years, i.e., 'Missing Persons', 'The Band', 'The Lemonheads' mostly 80's bands, but I don't know who "Both of You" is by name.

May I make a suggestion then WordWolf  that you choose a different song by them so we can move forward.  "No shame in taking a pass".  Movie line from a movie I like that I never thought I could use in a conversation.

Now I know there is an artist named "Both of You".. This one is vaguely familiar.  Scene of Martin King Jr. assassination.  I know I've heard it before.  I don't know if I can get the name from just these lines.  I would need more. 

Edited by Human without the bean

I'm sorry WordWolf, but this is boring me out of my mind.   ONE LINE.  Pretty simple.  Songs with lots and lots of airtime to  establish them from other songs because of its memorable content.  Furthermore, it could be that I'm just a boring old goat and I have lost any sensibility for sinister jabbing and poking fun at your competitor, but this isn't any fun.  I'll be sitting out the rest of this round.  Nothing personal.  Don't take offense.

"One man caught on a barbed wire fence.  One man he resist.  One man washed up on an empty beach.   One man betrayed with a kiss."

"Early morning, April 4
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky
Free at last."

As far as I'm concerned, we can suspend this thread for a while. With few players, it's hard to get people to recognize even well-known songs from one line.      The other thread with lyrics still works.  (I think a few of the game threads don't really work with few players, and we're better off skipping them for their related threads- like skipping the 3 artists/three movies for Name the Movie/Name the Artist, and this one for Name that Song.)