GreaseSpot Cafe

cyberspazzdumb

MATILDA

Restore.

That is the word of the day…”restore.”

12:06 a.m. Sunday:

Braced for late-nite micro-chipped trauma, I (like the competent cyber-challenged techno-nerd that I am)

pushed the on button thingy to engage the mystically blue, glow-in-the-dark box that tells me stuff.

Academically, I knew there had to be a secret cyber land repository for all info filched from the weeny grasp of cyberklutzes like me. A place where the the artificial life forms of electronic inanimates gather and ruthlessly plan new and more sinister ways to baffle and confuse the likes of simple human folk like me. I’m not sure, but I think Bill Gates is a programmed communist, and the world as I knew it (a place littered with post-it notes) is in imminent danger of electronic upheaval…a revolution. On one level, that might be okay, so long as it averted unnecessary messes…

Anyway, I felt like a kid looking for the lost puppy. Kept going to the same place on my screen, coming up empty E handed. Mean, stupid-head machines…so cruel to toy with the cyber afflicted…Frustrated beyond flesh & blood tolerance, I started hearing strange sounds in the dark…like the plaintive call of a stricken mallard…

oh crap…it was me! Just ducky…now I’m making sick goose noises in lieu of the usual cussing.

Dear Lord God of Jehosophats! Please help me find my lost e-mail bank.

The crystalline answer rang clear like a fart in the night….Gary. Get Gary. Rouse the Gare-bear. Risk the absurd.

I leaned over to the slumbering mass behind my computer station and ever-so-gently jostled it a dozen or two times…

Hmmm…maybe a little water will help. Just a splash…I flicked just enuf…like a priest at a baptismal fount…once, twice…ok…three times…each time flicking, then jumping back in case of spousal lunging for the throat… It was a calculated risk…but I was desperate…MY E-MAIL RECORDS WERE LOST!

The vegetative state interrupted long enuf to take in the gravity of my agitated uselessness…

You know, I love that guy. He never makes fun of me…ever hopeful for connubial bliss, he just tries to help me thru my hours of angst…

He spoke just one word.

One…………………..and it wasn’t yerafreakinidiotwoman…

It was, simply and lovingly, this:

“Restore.”

So I did.

My file has been restored to me. I am blessed.

E-mail me anytime, I can take it.

X

M

Somebody trying to tell me something?

yesterday I was reminded of an important lift I got several years ago

by a few little words in a message that couldnt have taken that much physical effort to send

I was just talking about it, mnutes ago.

I didnt mention there were two messages that came independently at about the same time. Only two.

Now I am reminded of both.

Thanks.

Speaking of email…I think spam should be re-labeled as something I find very distasteful – asparagus!

…and another thing – why do I have to go to the Start button to stop my computer? Doesn't make sense to me. Why couldn't there be a Stop the Stopping button for starting the PC? Oh, I know - some folks want to have access to that Restart feature – yeah, like that's gonna make a difference. Let's call a spade a spade – re-label Restart to reflect the PC accepting culpability – Alright, so I screwed up – now you can sit there all day long and whine about it or give me a reboot where the sun don't shine and start from scratch.