GreaseSpot Cafe

Buying a New Computer

Raf

hey Raf,

I have had great success with Dell. The chassis is easy to access, support is very good and have had no problems with my box since the day I bought it over two years ago.

My recommendation would be to go to ebay and find an authorized Dell reseller. these are the guys who buy new systems in bulk and mark them up a few bucks. When I bought my box, the Dell price was about $1300 on their website. My shipped price was $825. The guy I used was www.originaltexan.com but that was two years ago. In any case, authorized resellers have the same warranties etc...

You can also find really good deals at the HP/ Compaq refurb site. just go to http://www.shopping.hp.com and look for the outlet link at the top right of the page. If you don't mind factory refurbished units you can occassionaly find a bargain.

Myself and two friends bought Dell's from resellers though and have been way happy to the point where I don't think I will be changing brands anytime soon. For what it is worth, I also have an HP laptop - 3.0 AMD and that has been a great unit as well. My last four computers were Compaq, HP, Dell and the HP laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up with a new Compaq Presario.

I can't tell what the heck it is: lemme see some numbers...

Ah, here it is...

80 pound box.

Oh, that's not what you guys care about.

512 mb pc3200 ddr sdram memory

200GB 7200 rpm ultra dma hard drive

blah blah blah

I love my Dell.

I had 2 problems which needed help. I called the number and the first problem was easy....I knew the problem....I needed a new mouse driver 'cause I switched to a different one...the tech directed me to the correct download spot and I was fixed pronto. I waited 8 minutes for somebody to pick u the call, but I called at 1 am! YMMV

The second was a more sinister problem. The driver for the standard keyboard does not permit the computer to enter standby mode WHEN CERTAIN PROGRAMS are installed. They know of the problem. There is no way to "fix" this....but there is a work-around. That call took about 20 minutes to solve...such as it is. I have no idea which program is causing it!

I bought the 15" flat pannel monitor and thought I would have problems seeing it as I was using a 19" CRT before. This is a great monitor. I can't swear to it, but I really don't notice a difference in size...but I can see stuff on this one soooo much better!

Good luch!