GreaseSpot Cafe

Buying a New Computer

Raf

Raf - I had a thread like this started about a year ago. I'm sure some of the more qualified techies will chime in on this thread for you, but here's the link to the thread I started a year ago when I was looking for a new ride...:

http://gscafe.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/7...52/m/7826053775

By the way - almost one year later and I'm still happy with my purchase and would recommend the HP to you, too.

No advice on buying, no.

Just the usual when setting her up.

Install Windows Service Pack 2 from an installer disk before connecting

her to the internet, and connect thru your router to use her firewall,

then proceed directly to download your security software.

Since some pcs apparently come out of the box with spyware, adware

or viruses, you'll want to scan for each first chance you get.

But you already knew all that.

That and defrag as soon as you're done downloading everything.

I use a lot of different computers, due to working at a technical university, and working in a technical job, and having 4 computers at home.

The PCs that have given me the least amount of problems are the HPs, or that is to say, HP/Compaqs.

Watch for a sale - with graduations coming soon, and PCs being a verrry popular graduation gift, there will be *LOTS* of good deals on PCs available.

DON'T buy over the internet, because you have to wait for shipping, then if you have any kind of problem with the PC you have to ship it somewhere, etc.

PCs all come with an ethernet port now. Try to get one Bluetooth or Wireless enabled.

By all means, then, go with Dell.

You'll probably get a better deal that way.

Just know, though, that if you need warranty work, you'll ship it to Texas.

They're reliable, sturdy, nice looking. I haven't experienced a lot of problems with them.

Raf - I would also recommend a Dell. They are tried and true. Make sure you get a pentium 4 3.0 processor or above. 256MB graphics card, PCI EXpress if you can afford it. 512MB ram or even 1gb ram if affordable.

Get a nice monitor and if you have room for a CRT (that is the big heavy ones, not the flat panel ones). They are a bargain, cheaper than the flat ones and many of them are better quality than flat panel ones.

Don't skimp on sound. Make sure your motherboard has good sound built in or just go out and buy a Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs card and install it yourself. And get some nice sounding speakers and subwoofer. Get those from Best Buy not from Dell whose speakers suck.

Dell is fine. I've also had good luck with HPs. I do not like Compaq - there is something quirky about them in my experience.

But I'd compare price - especially with your discount. For "normal" use (no high end games, no CAD or heavy database use) you don't need top of the line fastest processor. More hard drive space than you think if you'll be collecting or editing videos.

Usually the best bang for the buck is to get more memory up to 512 or 1 gig.

Also if it's a laptop/notebook then get the 3 year warranty. Everyone I've ever had needed to be sent back w/in 3 years for some kind of physicall fix.

Keep your old computer and use it to back up your data. Best way to back up is to another computer over the network.

Raf,

I use Dells at work. Go to www.kevinrose.com He gets all sorts of promotional codes from Dell that bring the price down drastically.

I would lean towards a laptop and a monitor. So you get the desktop feel at home and the portability to take it out.

As WW said, get a router. It is now almost as important as AntiVirus. I can give you some good leads on the best ones.

Or if you are adventurous, build one. It is a great experience and the shop that sells you the parts will gladly finish if you have a problem. You won't save money, but you will get some good experience.

And Garth makes a very good suggestion, Get Rid of AOL!!!!!

He'd mentioned once before that he HAS a router.

That's why I just said to remember to connect that FIRST.

I would add a software firewall, but this allows him to have security while he's

downloading one. Unless he loaded the thing from disk.

(Refrains from making another aol joke.)

((ducking)) Okay, okay, okay, so you've been weaned of AO-Hell. icon_cool.gif

So now what are ya gonna do with all those AOL CDs that you collected?

1) Use them as coffee coasters.

2) Skeet shoot with them. ... PULL!

3) Use them as Frisbees for the dog to fetch.

4) Target practice for when you finally get your NRA membership.

5) Make Elton John-wannabe sunglasses out of them.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Just a few idears.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I heard that AOL comes with eight essential vitamins and minerals, but it won't save you any money on car insurance.

Seriously speaking, I haven't the slightest idea what a router is, or if I have one. I'll assume based on my ignorance that I do not have one.

No router. No AOL.

Of course, you *could* have Ig build you one! He can probably do it for about what you'd pay for a Dell - OR he can do one for a little more, and it would be much closer to top of the line.

He seems to enjoy that sort of thing, as a hobby.

But he probably won't do a thing for you until you get off of AOL.

Raf - You might want to check out Tiger Direct if you do decide to build your own. www.tigerdirect.com.

Also - stay away from "bundles" - you know, where Best Buy or whomever has a deal with monitor, printer, tower, etc., etc., all picked out. Go with a larger monitor than you think you need since you spend a lot of time on the 'puter - and - like igotout said - get some nice speakers for yourself. You deserve it.

What are you doing still using CompuServ? Get a real ISP, will ya?