GreaseSpot Cafe

Atheists Corner

Seth R.

Hi folks,

This comes from the "Some-of-my-best-ideas-happen-in-the-shower" Department.

Seems to me that there maybe enough interest that an Atheists section could get some action, and I was wondering if some of my Atheist, Pantheist, Agnostic, and Humanist friends would like to chime in on the subject?

I have about a dozen topics I'd like to explore with people here, like:

the Astrotheological roots of the old and new testament.

Egyptian Monotheism: A precursor to Judaism?

The disappearance of Tuthmose, and the appearance of Moses: Coincidence?

Primordial "flood" stories spanning dozens of cultures hundreds and even thousands of years before Noah.

The Virgin myth from half a dozen cultures through out history predating the Christian era.

The Sun cult, Lunar cult, Stellar cult and Saturnian cult and their relation to themes found in the bible.

Morality and Religion?

Recovering from extreme superstition.

The human animal: civilizations only hope. (why denying our animal nature is the most dangerous thing we can do.)

God free and happy. (share your stories)

The difference between religious faith and logical faith.

Atheists too are reverent.

Pantheism, let the joy of no sects begin.

That's all I can think of.

Seth

Seth,

There used to be such a corner long time ago. Seems it was called the agnostics corner or some such and was started by a lady who no longer posts here. It was somewhat popular for a while but then faded away. So few unbelievers I presume. Or those who will admit it.

sudo

i often feel we could do well to play at a better synthesis of writing and talking

and what Seth so graciously put out seems such a dense weave of significanct scope

as usual...prompting me to pop off with one of these:

a technical/logistical suggestion/request...

someone/s of us please integrate the written and the live

not only as a way to hold and juggle such a wide range of contexts (as the first post)

but as a way to upgrade the re-readability, navigability and access to the document of the conversation

...and by "document" i include both audio and video ...perhaps even documentary

possibly helping cut down on those, our 100-page threads that few may ever navigate

like...

do a skypecast..or talk shoe

and make a radio show out of it

experiment with a few formats

blend the live discourse and live inquiry

with the textual discourse and textual inquiry

then talk about the pod cast on the forums

and talk about the forums on the podcast

...maybe chat about both

ive also often wondered how having such an occasion in optionally recorded, non-recorded, and partially recorded formats

might give more cause and room for more to participate

as well as cover bu++s

ok,

rant button off...

Edited by sirguessalot

i often feel we could do well to play at a better synthesis of writing and talking

and what Seth so graciously put out seems such a dense weave of significanct scope

as usual...

Thanks, I've been toying with an idea for a podcast for some time now, I have a site I want to host the podcasts from and a forum and chat. If I just spend some time getting on the talkshoe thing and learning how to use it maybe we can start a weekly 1 hour or so format. And on the fly we can have people posting new content relative to the discussion and have it as a single thread, including chat transcript and URLs.

If I get some more interested parties I'll give out my web site address and people can join the blog/forum.

I just need to get going on it.

Seth

i think any ex-twi take on atheism, or any form of post-theism, could be unique and valuable to the ex-twi conversation

as well as the larger non ex-twi conversation

...i dont expect much from the twi conversation

"roots of religion" being valid...as P-mosh pointed out

Seth...

only an hour?

yeah right

i mean...you covered quite a wide multi-layered layered swath of territory with your opening post

an hour a week is barely gonna scratch the surface

:biglaugh:

for what its worth...i say ...get some friends to set aside a long sunday afternoon (or whatever)

and fiddle with the knobs for a while...

i know im surely game for that kinda thing

but do that first...and you may be able to eventually widdle it down to an hour

heck...even a few hours gives enough material ...post-edit ...to produce an hour of podcast to publish

Seth, I'm a theist - but would definitely get into checking out that stuff...I've always found it enjoyable to explore other viewpoints from folks I'm familiar with and in such a friendly environment as Grease Spot....Don't think I'd have much to contribute - but I certainly would read a lot.

sure why not

LOL that was funny! Reminds me of the Robin Williams bit about god, he said something like this. "Do you think god ever gets high? I mean like when he made the Duck Billed Platypus, ok make it furry likes to swim with webbed feet, a ducks bill, poisonous barbs on hind legs, umm and oh yeah it lays eggs. Eff you Darwin!"

Hahaha!

Seth