GreaseSpot Cafe

Horse racing upsets me

Steveo

Another horse was raced to death today at the Kentucky Derby - http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

Did you know that 370 horses are raced to death each year? http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/pr_horse/ALL/202//

I would ask that everyone "re-think" their views on horse racing please, it is a horrble abuse of these beautiful and magnificent animals

Edited by Steveo

I am upset about that as well.

What right do they have?

animals are considered "produce" like a cash crop. corn or soy beans.

you know they are there for humans but when are we there for them it ends for them?

they are not dependent on humans a horse given land and water that God provides the earth can can take of the life they want to live.

a human needs a horse to make money to buy what he wants in life and to give him a famous name.

this world is crooked.

I have no experience with horse racing beyond playing early Atari video games, BUT:

A large part of yesterday's sad event apparently can be traced to the fact that 75% of today's thouroughbreds carry the bloodline from Native Dancer, who never won the Kentucky Derby. He lost by a head in 1953.

This article was printed BEFORE this years race:

Most racehorses today descend from a stallion named Native Dancer. Has the sport become too reliant on one set of genes?

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120...ml?mod=rss_free

Following are some of my thoughts on the subject, but I have no conclusion to make regarding it:

The last 13 Derby winners have carried this line, as well as Barbaro, injured at the starting gate in 2006 and later put to death. Of course most of these magnificent animals would not have been born if it were not for the horse racing industry, and MOST do not experience the terrible consequences we have seen the last few years. For those horses that escape the ill-fated consequences of their genes, they benefit from the powerful front legs and running style developed from Native Dancer's bloodline. For THESE horses, it gives them the honors and accomplishments they love to, and live to, run for. The rest of their lives are lived in a pampered exotic atmosphere compared to that which is ahead for many work-horses.

For those thoroughbreads who do NOT escape the pitfalls of their genes, of course the price is too high. I cannot say whether these incidents outbalance the benefits and existance derived by the many other horses. Its a tough call either way IMO.

~HAP

I have been communicating with a horse tender in Kent England, and he told me for all who love horses, the need is clear, END HORSE RACING! He says he takes care of lotsa horses, they dont race any of them, and they are all well cared for and loved :)

Unfortunately, indiscrminate breeding of animals can also lead to unfortunate outcomes. In the 1950's and 60's after the Korean War, lots of people were building smaller homes in suburbs and looking for a smaller pet than, say, a farm collie. Along comes the cocker spaniel, a pretty, likable, smallish dog good with kids. Next thing you know Bob has a female, Joe down the street has a male, and let's make some puppies so we can sell them and the children can witness the miracle of birth. Eventually the cocker breed ended up almost ruined, with cocker spaniels with bad bites, bad tempers, back problems, and epilepsy. The breed is making somewhat of a comeback, but slowly.

However, if you look at the pedigree of a more popular dog, take Labrador retrievers for example, that are bred only by professionals and sold as pet on limited registration* with the AKC, they often include common ancestors, especially if the ancestor was a national champion. My own precious Sophie's grandfather was such a dog; his registered name was Borador's Ridgeway Reflection and you can see his name on pedigrees of dogs with gorgeous conformation, beautiful heads, and loving faces. But the breeders are careful to not let things get out of hand, the good ones at least are.

It's when indiscriminate breeding or another bugaboo, line breeding, as in Native Dancer, kicks in that problems start. People breed for speed, for looks, or a certain color or conformation. Father to daughter, brother to sister, mother to son, and you've got problems, because the gene for that pretty coat may be doubled, but so is the gene for epilepsy.

Race horses have long skinny legs attached to powerful shoulders and hips. If you look at them, though graceful and powerful, they are shaped a lot differently than for example, quarter horses. They look to me like they are on stilts.

I cannot imagine the pain that poor girl experienced in her last few moments of life. It puts me in mind of another powerful filly, Ruffian, who almost won the Kentucky Derby and broke a leg in a match race against whoever did actually win it.

WG

*limited registration means if you breed that dog, its progeny will not be registered by the AKC. This is to stop the indiscriminate breeding that is endangering the integrity of the most popular dog in America. A few other breeds are getting limited registration also I think.

Yes and they are pushed too far and fast with no regard to their safety (remind you of any other organization?)

Also they are specially bred to have long slender legs which tend to be weaker than a regular horse, thus accounting for more broken legs etc....(for more info read this....http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8050301707.html)

I have contacted my Horse expert friend in Kent England to comment, but he doesnt get online that much :unsure:

Edited by Steveo

I know this is an old topic but my horse expert friend from England just emailed me.....I quote him....

hello steve jt,

can i say that i know alot about the nast sport and

the horses love to race and win the ribbons, and if they dont die they are lavished with gifts and a luxurious lifestyle.

is alot of rubbish!

horses dont like racing, horses like to save energy not use it all up, horses like running about, racing though is to far to fast and horses dont like it, they make them race, its not out of free will, also they dont care about ribbons!! also if they dont die then they have to be realy good at racing and won alot of race to get anyform oflifestyle they get put down if they keep loosing, if they win alot then they use them for breeding, and also what we call a luxurious lifestyle and gifts are not a horses idea of a life! horses want to be free running around with other horses this is not what they get! the only chance of any life syle is if someone that has nothing to do with racing buys.

also the horses can have horid things done to them to make them faster, also they race them to young and it can criple them later in life.

i dont agree with horse racing at any level!

and it will never end because it all boils down to one thing..money